Xone:db4 + DJS-1000 : midi sync?

background: I’m a long time xone:db4 user, with a DJS-1000 coming in the post this week. I only play vinyl, I guess until the sampler comes that is.

My question is, is there a way to take a midi sync signal out of the db4 to ‘drive’ DJS-1000 without using a laptop that is.

Any ideas/tips much appreciated.

R.

1 Like

@djadonis206 might have an idea. He was one of the more active users in the DJS-1000 thread though no idea whether the DJS-1000 (or SP-16) lives on in his rig.

Nope. Db4 doesn’t have a 5 pin midi out. Full stop. There’s no way around it without a laptop. The somewhat good news is that chances are big you don’t really need it. I never synced the db4 to anything and just set the internal bpm the same as my external gear. Steady as a rock.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I did a lot more reading. I should have said, I want the db4 clock out to sync the DJS-1000 sampler. Likely solution is either:

Or maybe I will just go crazy trying to make it work, or suddenly become an expert finger-drummer without any need of MIDI.

R.

Hi RIchard,

I understood your question :slight_smile: Unfortunately, like I said, it is impossible. Both methods won’t work.

I have answered this in the dedicated DB4 topic as well a few years ago in the DB4 topic I think. You will indeed go crazy as it is simply impossible to make it work :wink:

DB4 needs drivers to be able to make its sound card and midi over USB work. A midi host like kenton does not have DB4 drivers. A direct connection will not work either.

But like I said you don’t actually need the sync. In the DB4 settings you can change the MIDI clock to internal, and then specify the bpm. Simply set the bpm the same as the DJS. Looping will work flawlessly because the clock of DB4 is very steady (and I recon that of the DJS is too.

So you only need to keep the turntables in sync manually, which you already do so no problem there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You know the db4 far far better than I do - you mean this part of the db4 just doesn’t work?

From Version 2 firmware, the Xone:DB4 has the ability to generate internal MIDI clocks which can be used to control the tempo of a connected DAW via USB.

It does work. But you need drivers. As in, audio interface drivers. WIth the added note that db4 is very old and there are no drivers for new Macs, and on windows it might work, but would not recommend in a live sitiuation.

You can’t make the MIDI sync work without a computer driver.

In other words: the USB interface on the DB4 is not class compliant.,

2 Likes

Aggh, another day, another life lesson… Thank-you again for responding.

1 Like

There is a work around if you have a Xone K2 and a USB host midi device, for example Midi clock master (DJS-1000) -> midi in iConnectMIDI4+ -> USB host iConnectMIDI4+ -> K2 -> DB4 via X-Link

Works perfect for me without laptop!

2 Likes

Ah yea that’s right, good call :). Forgot about that one.

UPDATE FOR THE RECORD: Had my DSJ-1000 for a week, thought I would try the MIDI sync thing based on everything I’ve been told so far. My dream was to drive the tempo of DJS-1000 (like a drum machine) to match the tempo/sync with my vinyl played through the DB4.

These are connections: DB4->XLINK->K2->USB->DOREMIDI UMH-21 host controller->DIN OUT->DJS-1000 (DIN IN).

I can see right away why this doesn’t work as I expected, although it does indeed work exactly as the manuals say it should work.

The DB4 MIDI clock is statically selected. Whilst is it true what the DB4 manual says: Xone:DB4 has the ability to generate internal MIDI clocks which can be used to control the
tempo of a connected DAW via USB , it goes on to say the clock bpm is manually selected. That is: the DB4 MIDI clock is not linked the channel BPM counters at all.

What does work (although is pointless for me):

• adjusting the DB4 MIDI clock setting for BPM does indeed sync the DJS-1000 tempo.

R.