Wrong project loads at startup

Hello,

When I shut down my Digitakt and re-start it, every time it loads the same old project instead of the most recent one. It’s kinda annoying, do you have any idea whether it’s a setting, I messed up or something?

Well of course it’s not normal for it to do this and it’s unlikely that it’s something you’ve done but with an unknown quantity there’s always a potential it’s indirectly related to something you’ve done (if you added corrupt data to the machine who knows the consequence or effects great or small).

So first have you tried going to another different, random project that is not the old project or the most recent one? Do that, perform a shut down, then turn back on and see if it goes to the same old project or if it instead goes to the most recent one you’ve jumped out and observe whether the behavior changes or is consistent with your previous observations.

Are you saving your new project before shutdown or just letting it be recalled from the last shut down memory? If you aren’t saving, try saving the current project and see if anything changes. Always note the steps you take in troubleshooting in case you need to file a ticket with Elektron.

If possible make sure your data is backed up, you may need to try reloading the OS through transfer. If it’s still an issue, you may need to try to Sysex the OS through transfer. You’ll need to see if it’s the old project, the current project, or all projects that are the problem. I’m sure there’s a way to fix it without a lot of headaches but your data is not sufficient to determine a cause, only that the behavior is irregular.

If you need to do a factory reset there’s information in the user guide but to access those settings you need to hold down FUNC during startup, there’s also an option for a self test but I doubt it will show any errors. Try and see if the same old project keeps reloading or if the behavior changes and let us know what happens.

Also it would help to know if this is a new problem or a problem that you’ve been having and what version of the firmware you’re currently using. Did the problem start after an OS update or was it there when you bought the machine? This info can potentially help to pinpoint the root cause of the issues you’re describing.

1 Like

Having the same issue (since installing OS 1.5 I think).

Tried up til now:

• Backup data to PC and delete from digitakt
  • Downgrade OS version to 1.4B, upgrade to 1,5 again (through Elektron Transfer)
  • Format storage (samples + projects) through func + power
  • Multiple factory resets through func + power
  • Ignoring the issue

For now it starts with the factory default project all the time.

I am bit at wit’s end here…

Hey, sounds like you tried a lot already. Did you hook up din midi and do the transfer using the sysex option in transfer as was suggested before in the other instance? If your audio interface supports a standard 5 pin midi in and out, or if you have a dedicated midi interface make sure you try to reload it that way using these instructions
How to update your device via sysex transfer : Knowledge Base (Beta) (elektron.se)
and then start a new project from zero with just one or 2 factory sounds/samples before trying to reload any backup data. If there’s some corrupt user sample or project files causing this, hopefully that will reformat them. If this doesn’t work, probably best to open a ticket with support but if something else unexpected happens post an update about it.

Heya,

I don’t have a specific audio/ midi interface but I do have a USB to midi cable that I can try.

I’ll keep you posted.

Regards,

Remco

If it’s something like this, that should work for sysex.

If it doesn’t convert the din signal to usb midi protocol then it probably won’t work, just make sure you follow the directions specified by the knowledge base page as it will direct you away from the main screen of transfer in order to send the update. If your Digitakt is only hooked up via din midi using your usb to midi cable, it should still see and identify digitakt, that’s what it did for me when I had to do an update this way.

So basically, make sure your DT is not hooked up via the USB out while you’re doing this and that will eliminate any confusion. Good luck with it.

Something similar is happening to mine.
My latest project has two patterns.
When I start Digitakt it presents me with an earlier version of my project with one pattern.
At first i thought maybe it was loading the last state when I selected function/yes for a temporary save, but no it’s not that

So there’s nothing missing from pattern one to implicate an earlier save state being restored, it’s just missing the second pattern? Did it happen more than once in the same project?

There are changes from the first pattern, it has the previous eq settings before i changed em, and doesn’t have the panning I did, things like that.

I’ve saved the two pattern version of course and if I load it up and it has both patterns loaded ok with all settings in place.
It’s just if I turn it off and on again it’ll always load an earlier version of the project.

So you’re saying the 2 pattern version can still be recalled manually, but that the save state recalled by the temporary pattern memory on power up is the earlier version of the pattern one save, which is missing some editing like the panning and eq?

That sounds like a pain in the ass. Are your samples for this project direct sampled from the audio in L/R, or are they imported from your computer into the project folder?

1 Like

Yeah you’ve got it, exactly that.
I always import by transfer on computer.

I’m just glad I had two patterns in the project because if there was just one I possibly wouldn’t have noticed the changes in panning etc, I coulda messed with the pattern a bit and ended up saving it again over the better version.

Or maybe I have been doing that for months and not noticed :thinking:

1 Like

Try copying the 2 patterns to a new bank, then on next start up see if it loads back to the original one pattern bank. I’m not sure if temporary memory is partioned per bank but if you have bad data like a corrupted file that can’t be overwritten with the new save state it could have it stuck in that temp area. If you power up and it goes back to the original bank with the same pattern 1 save of old data / no panning, no eq, either some sample might have gotten corrupted on the way in from transfer, or even somehow after dt tried to create a new file for it.

From what I understand every time you edit a sample or a sound, DT creates a new version of it so there’s never any destructive action taken against the original or new versions of a sample and that’s one reason sometimes people fill up memory quicker than they expect to if they tweak and save large samples frequently.

Anyways, see what happens when you’ve copied the patterns to a new bank, temp save and project save, then see if it reverts back to the previous bank pattern one or not on next start up, if it does, I’d say that’s a pretty clear finger pointing at the temp save area. :point_left:

check out this thread, it’s not exactly the same but there’s some parallels and the sysex update back to a prior OS followed by moving back to current OS is what made progress.

Is My Digitakt Unwell? (Resolved) - Elektron Gear / Digitakt - Elektronauts @Yabba
another thread that involved corrupt data that might have some minor parallel
Just got Digitakt and need help - Elektron Gear / Digitakt - Elektronauts

1 Like

Nice one mate!
That all makes sense, I’ll definitely give that a go when I work on the project tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, I’ll let you know how it goes when I try it 🫡

1 Like

Well hallelujah!

After updating the Digitakt through a sysex midi load/ dump instead of through USB, the project last saved/ used is the one loaded at startup again!

Thanks for the input @shigginpit!

2 Likes

no problem. nice work sir, carry on.

given that the sysex fw reload just resolved a similar issue yet again, this might be a good idea for you to try as well if you’ve got a din connection to your pc. let me know how it works out.

Huh. This has happened to me too after I updated the firmware (the first couple times I chocked it up to user error but it’s definitely happening, although randomly). Glad to know there’s a solution! I’m going to try it tonight.

yeah don’t count your notes before they’re latched. keep backing up projects regardless, that being said, this has worked several times so better than not at all.

I remember your hilarious “smiling through the pain” post from the CEO thread so I kinda thought this might have been an issue for you also.

1 Like

Hi All,

So back after having been away for a while. The problem was resolved after going back to 1.4 but has since seem to have made a reappearance (after upgrading to 1.5 two weeks ago). Upgrading to 1.51 has not caused any improvements. I’ve bought a usb to midi cable so will test if a sysex dump/ upgrade through that might resolve the issue.

I will let you know if that resolves anything.

Thanks!

Hi @shigginpit

So, after uploading OS 1.5 through sysex rather then elektron transfer (and trying the same with OS1.4, 1,50A) I finally upgraded to 1,51A through transfer again. I’ve now been able to determine the following…

• The issue pops up across all versions of the OS
  • Tested by trying various versions of the OS with a newly created file as well as existing files
  • It seems like changes to a file were not saved upon reloading. After a second reload they were all of a sudden.

I think there’s definitely something going on with the unit that’s not supposed to be happening.

Any other things I might try?

Thanks!

Well, it does sound like something is going on with your unit after it being resolved and then reappearing like that (I believe I spoke to yabba and his issue was also resolved from these steps, and to my knowledge still is), but my logic here seems to reason out that it may be something inside one of your projects and I don’t know if it’s triggered by loading that project, or if in the upgrade process when perhaps the cpu is seeing the contents of that project? I’m just guessing here.

If you want to attempt to isolate whether the problem is with a project rather than the unit itself, I might first make sure everything is backed up, then clear everything off your DT so it’s as if you’re starting from zero. Go through the motions of what you did before with the sysex upgrade (or downgrade / upgrade) which resolved the initial problem. After coming to the point where it was working before, test with a 2 brand new projects on a blank slate with nothing on the machine and see if the behavior is kept at bay, or if it returns. I say 2 because if there is only one project, it will be hard for it to load the wrong one at startup, also in this you should be able to pretty easily also check if changes implemented within a session are updated on restart, or if they revert to their prior states.

If at that point, the problem returns, it may be deeper in your specific unit than whatever the sysex rewrite is able to clear, in which case it may be wise to create a support ticket and seek the help of someone who isn’t an amateur and just making guesses about what will fix it (i.e. myself). However, if it does at this point seem to correct the behavior, I would still leave all my projects off the machine, then with only the ones you’ve created which seem to behave normally, do the final OS upgrade that you’re reporting triggered it into reverting to the error state.

Now, if you get to the final OS upgrade and still no problems, I would wager the issue is with one of your projects and I couldn’t even begin to guess which one, without some laborious process of reloading each individually and repeating all these steps until one of them triggers the bug, if you had the patience to do that, you could assume there’s some corrupt data in one of those files and choose whether or not you can live without that project. However without doing a ton of legwork, I don’t know if it will be possible to isolate the root cause of the problem, and that’s only if my assumptions about the machine behavior prove to be correct.

In the end, the shorter route may be to create a trouble ticket and seek the help of a professional, so take whatever steps I’ve laid out with the grain of salt (as the saying goes) because none of this is guaranteed to work but this is the kind of method which helps isolate and clear bad data in other situations. It will not, however, fix the data which is corrupt so that’s why I say you may need to make a choice about scrapping a project which has suspected corrupt data, unless someone from support can guide you in fixing that and I don’t know if there is a way or not, so I can’t tell you 100% the project is a lost cause or that it can be repaired.