Just got Digitakt and need help

Hi, I just received my Digitakt and I think it have no sample in there.(no sound in preset project)
I already did the firmware update and factory reset. there is nothing change.

But the main problem is when I go to setting page and press yes to go into the sample page the screen is freezing and I can’t push any button. it seem like when I’m trying to use any function about sample my Digitakt will stop working. (Another example is I try to select sample from source by using D knob and when I press yes it also freezing and stop working)

Did I do something wrong or it’s because my Digitakt not working properly?

Thank you so much for helping, A.P.

Welcome, these issues you have described are not normal behaviour for a digitakt. If the device is new, speak to the dealer of purchase. If the device was previously owned, ask the seller for a refund and purchase a different digitakt would be my recommendation. If you are locked into the purchase already, check the manufacturing date and if within 3 years ask elektron for service using a service request ticket. Even if no warranty, if you are stuck with the device open a ticket to ask for help in a resolution. Nothing you are describing is a normal behaviour otherwise no one would ever buy that particular device. I don’t think you have done anything to cause the problem.

Digitakt is great, get a working one before you make a decision of whether or not you like it. Good luck.

2 Likes

Wecome @APARI5
Did you try SETTINGS > SYSTEM > FORMAT +DRIVE ?

Edit : I’d check SETTINGS > SYSTEM > STORAGE before.

4 Likes

It’s new but it’s a demo one from store. I will contact them for more information. Anyway it good to know that it’s not normal. Looking forward to get one that working well I think I will love it for sure!

Really appreciate your help.

1 Like

Try sezare advice one time before any further hassle, it sounds to me like corrupt data somehow loaded in the sampler. Never seen this problem before though. Hard to comment effectively.

3 Likes

@APARI5 There is also a test procedure :
Hold Func while powering on.
Press trig 1.

I checked in storage. There’s a number of sound and sample in there.

And I just did the +Drive Format and now I can go into the sample page with my Digitakt not stop working but no sound coming out again :frowning:

So I try Factor Reset one more time and it still not working.

Not sure about this but is it suppose to have something in here?
SETTING > SAMPLE > FACTORY > DRUMS > ACOUSTIC > AMBIENT KITS
(have sample number in storage but nothing in sample page)

Yes.

Please check Test mode above.

1 Like

every new project should start with samples loaded in trig 1-8, no sound when you hit the key, correct?

your folder looks empty to me, folder exists but is empty.

1 Like

just try the test mode. there’s a pop sound coming out one time and screen said 0 error.

Just try playing the preset project and play the metronome. Metronome sound is coming out but still no sample sound.

can you try this. go to sample record page. add a line in device or a mic, anything into the left input channel. select input source L. turn on monitoring, verify if you hear sound from your source. If you hear source from monitoring, record a sample, with function and yes then yes to stop. then hold function and yes to see if you hear the recording playback.

that should check both audio channel , input, and sample playback capability.

1 Like

One other thing to try :
EMPTY RESET
(Startup Menu)

Yeah, I thought the sound should come out after loading up the preset project. and yes no sound when I hit any keys.

And yep i think my folder is empty and not sure why.

will do all thing you guys suggest wait a sec.

the store tried to be nice and clear any data for you and accidentally cleared all samples, I think thats what happened. probably because they had transferred something that was corrupt data via computer and that was causing the freezing issue. There are 2 issues - the corrupt data and the missing samples.

they are connected by the store trying to fix one and causing the other. my opinion only.

the fact it no longer freezes leads me to believe you fixed issue 1 after this discussion started.

hearing the metronome is a good sign.

That maybe it. Or can I download sample pack from somewhere else?

The recording and playback is working well. I assign it to channel 1 on preset project and it’s playing!!

So I think only problem now is all the factory sample is gone.

1 Like

I think theres a way to reload factory samples. I’m pretty sure you just use the transfer app. glad this is coming to a conclusion for you. let me see if I remember where I saw instructions to reload factory samples.

factory samples are very useful and contain many single cycle waveforms to use for synthesis, don’t go without the factory samples.

Yep as newbie as I am. Factory sample will help me a lot for sure.
One more thing, let’s say I can put in factory sample. Maybe can’t do the factory reset, right? Because factory sample might be gone again. lol

I don’t think factory reset is the issue, if you go in by holding function on startup you will see in the test menu there is an option to reset, and an option to reset with all data clear. I think you can do one and not have a problem, the other is what caused this issue but still did not clear the bad data. but now your machine seems good, just lacks samples. I’m searching though so I’ll try and help as much as I can. If I can find the reload info you should be ok with this machine.

tell me is this exactly what you already tried to do:

PERFORMING A FACTORY RESET TO RECOVER THE FACTORY CONTENT

If you can’t find any Sounds or samples you can recover them by performing a factory reset in the SETTINGS menu.

Please note: When you perform a factory reset, it will overwrite and re-initialize the active RAM project (including all pattern and global data). The +Drive project slot 1 will be overwritten and re-initialized with factory preset patterns, sounds and settings. Sound bank A will be overwritten with the factory sounds. If you wish to keep the active project, remember to save it to a +Drive project slot higher than 1 before you perform a factory reset.

1. To open the SETTINGS menu, hold down the [FUNC] key while powering up the Digitakt.
  2. Press the [TRIG 3] key to perform a factory reset.

STILL CANT FIND ANY FACTORY SOUNDS OR SAMPLES?

Please contact Elektron support: https://www.elektron.se/customer/tickets/

if you got a very good deal on the device and it still has a lot of warranty left, and you can wait by playing with your own samples and downloading free sample packs, you can just do a ticket. If your deal was average and you can buy another one and wait for it to arrive (plus this store takes returns) it is something to consider buying another one since you just got the gear. To me though, it’s easier to keep what you have if the only issue is getting the factory samples back, but I don’t like people being sold gear that is not what it is advertised to be, especially if there is not a significant discount so I don’t know how to advise your course of action, do what your threshold of patience and temperament will allow.

1 Like