Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

nice tread! my modular gas has already started with the dark energy and some modules ^^

I find A4 very good to sequence one modular voice (e.g. using the A4 arp :heart_eyes:) and sending out clocked lfo modulated envelops for vca and / or filter.

yesterday I wantet to use another sequencer for the dark energy 2. I remembered that my xoxbox has also cv/gate outs (and Octave One praised their Xoxbox a lot for cv/gate seq) … so I hocked up the xoxbox cving the Dark Energy 2. Xoxbox getting Midisync from the A4 and A4 is send cv/env out to braids and filter.

But Dark Energy was slightly late in timing! I set the TDLY in braids to about 4ms to be on time.

What could be the problem? Midi Timing issues with the A4? Midi Timing issues with the Xoxbox? The snowy cold weather in Germany?

Btw … what vca do you use? Has anyone the MI Veils?

All sequenceing and clocking from A4 all modular sounds

1 Like

nice !!! really great sounds !

Thank you.

Does anybody tried the inexpensive XOX Heart ?

http://www.openmusiclabs.com/projects/x0x-heart/index.html

A4 CV to a pair of semi-modular synths

A4 CV sequencing both the MS-20M and the Microbrute at the same time.

3 oscillators into the MS-20 filters, the LPF being modulated by the A4 envelope (fast modulation) and LFO (slow & random modulation). The FM and sync have been engaged in the MS-20M.

Finally, the sound from these 3 osc, after going through the MS-20 filters, go directly into the A4 Ext input in order to take advantage of a great amount of <3 Chorus, Delay & Reverb <3

I especially appreciate the junction sockets on the MS-20M. It functions like a CV cable splitter (you can see one unused at the bottom edge).

Here are the CV parameters of my system:

My first track from this setup:

1 Like

Im in this boat now at the min. Was working fine the other day except tonight the A4 only sends out notes to the Temps Utile when the arp is on or I play the A4 key board. Won’t play from trig notes. Anyone experienced this?tks

ok noticed that I need to have Note length on the note page down to minimum unless Im using the arp.

Got something similar the other day, solved it by tweaking the voltage output/clock div on the A4.

Ok thanks will keep that in mind. Was getting worried when it just stopped sending out notes or gates.

So you can send lfo via CV from the A4?

Yes.

1 Like

Ah so you can attenuate the signal within the A4? I have some pedals that will only accept 5v so would be good to be able to attenuate it without having to buy extra cables.

You don’t attenuate - you just define upper and lower voltage limits - this voltage high e.g. becomes the peak of an env or lfo

The Max is +10V , min -10V and it can be set in mV (10mV steps)

3 Likes

Yes, you can.
In my table (a few posts above), the CV C is connected to the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter of the MS-20. You just have to set the destination of one of the two LFOs from the A4 to the value of CV C

1 Like

i have just the rings and clouds powered by my A4 right now. LFOs from CV b/c/d doing … stuff to both modules and CV A doing pitch on the rings (doesnt need a gate control here)

I’ve been looking at expanding into some other modules but not quite sure where to go with them. 4ms spectral resonator looks pretty special…

Thanks. So would I be right in saying I can use 4 tracks using the A4 voices, 1 track sending CV gate and pitch, and then utilise the FX track as CV for modulation?

1 Like

Not really - you can use the FX track for sequencing - so only pitch gate as modulation sources

You can use the CV track for sequencing and simultaneously for separate control of envelopes/lfos/clock/etc - the Value Lin(ear) Mode used to generate general modulation CV signals is only on the CV track as a destination

2 Likes

I think it depends which direction you want your modular integration to go.

After I started with Rings/Clouds I got Braids so I could have another voice to control from A4 (Braids already has a built in AD envelope). After that it was really about adding more modulation so I picked up Tides. Then I wanted some mixing/VCA so I picked up Veils.

The breakthrough for me was to get Pamela’s New Workout and its exp1 expender. Pam is now the main clock with MIDI out to A4. Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alu_cCDJIts where there is a section at the end on the A4.

After getting more modulation then I thought I needed to get more utility modules, I know they are important and I don’t understand them all yet, I just know I need them and it’s just a matter of understanding why.

So I recently added Links/Kinks and Blinds. I also got Ripple as an extra filter.

Next I can get more interesting flashy modules I supposed. I am thinking the ER-301 so I don’t need to get an octatrack.

Damn this rabbit hole…

A few days in with the A4MK2 and the most enjoyable thing for me so far is the CV possibilities and the audio in, I had no idea it would be so much fun. I don’t even have a eurorack system but it has brought the 0-Coast to life in way I didn’t think possible and to think I had been toying with the idea of selling the 0-Coast. I even got a little thing going with the Koma Field Kit where I sent a seq to the 0-Coast and the 0-Coast square out to the Koma so the DC Motor is vibrating in pitch with the sequence against a contact mic, basically having the motor as an oscillator. I discovered this little trick when using the Beatstep pro but now having the possibilities to play it through envelopes and filters makes it sound great and more than just a gimmick. Now I’m gonna try parameter lock my Moogerfoogers.

On the downside, this will probably now probably lead me down the eurocrack rabbit hole and subsequently ruin me.

4 Likes