Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

If so, are there any demos?

I would like to see, well hear how those 4 cvs can get a modular rockin.

Are there any problems getting it right?

Thanks

Tonight

I have a 6U system that Iā€™m using the A4 with. Iā€™m constantly trying to convince my ā€œInternet modular friendā€ to put off buying modules and buy the A4 to use with their systems. The A4 does SO much and covers so much territory that itā€™s allowed me to focus on modules that are unique and obscureā€¦which is great since I only have 6U. In my opinion if you have a modular you should have an A4 to pair with it. (Sorry no audio examples at the moment.)

1 Like

ā€¦or a Microbrute.

Awesome oscillator, LFO (In/Out), Envelope/Gate OUT, Filter with overdrive circuit (int or ext), 32 step sequencer with memory, clock generator, mod matrix sends internal voice out via filter, sends out 3 oscillator mods (saw, metalizer, PWM, and a controller keyboard.

All those things would translate to about $800 in modules. Amazing.

The biggest problem with the A4 is that is only has 4 CV/Gate outs, but the sequencer is so powerful that it balances out.

Can I ask what units you have? Iā€™ve thought about a 6U system but not sure if it would be enough.
Iā€™m looking at a second hand doepfer system but if I could make a smaller 6u wit the happy ending case that would be awesome.

I have a Make Noise system in a 6U Doepfer flightcase. Itā€™s basically a Shared System, plus some of the new modules (Function, STO), and recently added a 3U for Pressure Points and Braids. But a 6U is more than enough to make some serious noise, experiment with soundā€¦ One of the advantages of Make Noise modules is that they pack a lot of functions in every module. You could do more or less the same with Doepfer modules, and much cheaper, but takes much more space. But you can also go for a Harvestman system in a 6U or mix and matchā€¦ It also depends of what kind of music you want to make.

I have some early videos with the A4, when I was just starting with my modular. Here are the links:

I usually use the A4 for clocks and gates, but you can use the CV outs for much more. And remember that you can also use the A4 to route the audio, through the FX track, or use the other tracks to use filters, VCA, envelopesā€¦

If you can also add an Octatrack, with all its effects, you get something so powerful, that it can be overwhelming, you lose yourself in the system and never find time to shot a video again :joy:

Iā€™ll try to do some more videos, but Iā€™m not that much into ā€˜musicā€™, to me it is mainly a ā€˜hobbyā€™, or an obsession to experiment with sound, make some crazy shit that I canā€™t find and buy on records.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s my A4 driving the pitch on a single MakeNoise DPO. A4 acts as a filter and VCA. https://soundcloud.com/suicidelane/make-noise-dpo-elektron-a4

My A4 is glued to my modular, both as a CV box and effects box for my 6U eurorack and itā€™s brilliant. You are essentially adding your choice of 4 pitch/cv, LFO, envelope, gate, clock and in any combo you need. I donā€™t have any demos just a short vine video of when I first hooked it up: https://vine.co/v/hFwbM7lm16K

A4 has been my gateway drug to modular.
My system is just an A4 and a 12U past-halfway filled eurorack, and all my music is made only with these. If you dare, you can check it here

To be fair the more my modular grows the less I use A4ā€™s CV outs. Mostly a master clock to sync the two synths, and the occasional LFO, if all my modules are busy.
But my modularā€™s out is permanently wired to A4ā€™s EXT IN to benefit from the excellent A4ā€™s FX.

2 Likes

The A4 is a great CV/Gate sequencer or clock source. The p-locking of source and destination for each trig puts it way beyond the scope of most euro sequencers. Not to mention the DINs. I send DIN to my 606 and that in turn gives 2 programmable trigger outs. These can be used as clock sources or trig/gates sources or whatever you like really. DIN and analogue clock are rock solid. Kick the bollix out of MIDI on so many levels

Having said that though most euro sequencers go a bit further than just being a sequencer. They are instruments in themselves. Iā€™m of the mind that you can never have too many sequencers to be honest.

They are all so different. The euro manufacturers offer a more diverse range. Not too many things seem to overlap in anything other than general functionā€¦ if that makes sense. There are gnarly sequencers like the Z8000 or the Mutable Grids that will do stuff the A4 couldnā€™t dream ofā€¦ not too mention the Intellijel Metropolis or Rene

Hands down though the A4 is way better value for money (prior to the price hike anyways) than even the cheapest 6U modular.

Thanks for the links and sounds guys. What I am wondering is what is the bare minimum I need to get going?

Theres a second hand A100b/s going for 189,000 yen which is cheap but still loads of money especially considering theres no space in the case for expansion and that I am kinda interested in a few other modules.

However with a happy ending case I could probably grab a Z3000 today both for 45,000. But I am wondering what else I would need to run. Could the A4 provide the envelopes and LFOā€™s ? Do I need an amp or a mixer?

Basically I want to know the best order to buy the modules so that I could start making noise as soon as possible.

Ned, I went for a Doepfer A100 mini system as my first starter modular. A basic bread and butter system. I found pretty quickly that itā€™s pretty much a basic mono synth in a box. Which was great but in hindsight I kind of wish Iā€™d picked some modules that werenā€™t already covered buy gear I had already. Thereā€™s so many interesting and unique euro modules that, if I was starting again right now, I would have almost certainly picked some more original stuff to start off with

But I did eventually start picking up more gnarly stuffā€¦ as you do

Defo get a case for room to expand. This shit will eat your life and money away. An empty 6U with power is a perfect place to start.

I think the Doepfer ones are like 84 HP (horizontal pitch) where 1 HP = 5mm

Always keep an eye on the HP of a module. The slimmer they are, the more will fit in your case before you need to expand

If you have an A4 already then youā€™re covered for a sequencer, MIDI/CV convertor for the time being.

Initially you will want either a pair of oscillators, or a dual oscillator. Duals usually have sweet cross-mod/FM capability (without using any patch cables)

A nice multi-mode filter with more than one input. Lack of inputs will get your goat if you donā€™t have them

A VCA or a Lowpass Gate (or a combo of both). Good to know the differences and similarities between the two. Had no idea what a Lowpass gate was when I started getting euro. Now I have 4 LPGs and 1 VCA.

I prefer Lowpass gate. :+1:

A modulator / Envelope generator (with a cycle mode for LFO type stuff). Make Noise Maths is perfect for this shit. An essential module.

And not to forget a small sub mixer module. 4 or 5 inputs, 1 sum output.

It really is a bit daunting at the moment. There is so much available. You kind of have to look at features you like/need in a good synth and see if these are represented in eurorack form. The more CV ins and outs the better.

Modular Grid is well handy. Has all modules indexed by manafacturer, function and price. Plus you can put together mock up systems to see what will fit in youā€™re set up

http://www.modulargrid.net/

Edit: Oh yeah and defo join the muffwiggler forum and check out their marketplace section. Those guys have an awesome second hand eurorack market. Iā€™ve bought a bunch of stuff on there always in good nick, hassle free and much cheaper than buying new. Just make sure you buy off someone with a decent post count and rep

Thanks for the detailed response. Spent the whole day looking around. Really interested in the dpo but probably too priceyā€¦ For now.

Checked out modular grid. Nice site. Getting stuff in Japan seems a bit harder but clock face modular seems cheap and to stock lots.

If I sell my MnM I may be getting underway much faster but for now I think I might order the happy ending 84p case and a Z3000. I figure the happy ending kit is cheap and easy enough to add a second one. I want to build a digital analog hybrid for some mono P12 type fun.

I started with just one module and Doepfer DIY kit #1. I built the case myself with some plywood (not that difficult).
I am (should be) adding one module per month. If you start with just an oscillator you can use A4ā€™s CV OUTs and EXt INs for whatā€™s missing ( if you use EXT IN from the OSC page you can exploit the synth voice signal chain at the cost of one track).
I find this strategy to have two main advantages.
First, you move to lusting for the next module when you have at least a decent knowledge of the previous oneā€™s innards.
Secondly, you can develop your system according to your real needs instead than some superficial guessing on modular synthesis.
Also, you feel less the financial drain (until you verify your bank account after six months, that is. You are facing a money pit, you need to know this).
Since I started eurorack I have also delved deeply in SDIY. This also helps to slow down the addictive pace, and to save a little ( but not that much). The knowledge acquired reveals itself quite useful when patching, and, the more, one day Iā€™ll build the MetaPsychagogic Oscillator and lead humanity to a new dimensional planeā€¦

1 Like

Ned, I went for a Doepfer A100 mini system as my first starter modular. A basic bread and butter system. I found pretty quickly that itā€™s pretty much a basic mono synth in a box. Which was great but in hindsight I kind of wish Iā€™d picked some modules that werenā€™t already covered buy gear I had already. Thereā€™s so many interesting and unique euro modules that, if I was starting again right now, I would have almost certainly picked some more original stuff to start off with

But I did eventually start picking up more gnarly stuffā€¦ as you do

Defo get a case for room to expand. This shit will eat your life and money away. An empty 6U with power is a perfect place to start.

I think the Doepfer ones are like 84 HP (horizontal pitch) where 1 HP = 5mm

Always keep an eye on the HP of a module. The slimmer they are, the more will fit in your case before you need to expand

If you have an A4 already then youā€™re covered for a sequencer, MIDI/CV convertor for the time being.

Initially you will want either a pair of oscillators, or a dual oscillator. Duals usually have sweet cross-mod/FM capability (without using any patch cables)

A nice multi-mode filter with more than one input. Lack of inputs will get your goat if you donā€™t have them

A VCA or a Lowpass Gate (or a combo of both). Good to know the differences and similarities between the two. Had no idea what a Lowpass gate was when I started getting euro. Now I have 4 LPGs and 1 VCA.

I prefer Lowpass gate. :+1:

A modulator / Envelope generator (with a cycle mode for LFO type stuff). Make Noise Maths is perfect for this shit. An essential module.

And not to forget a small sub mixer module. 4 or 5 inputs, 1 sum output.

It really is a bit daunting at the moment. There is so much available. You kind of have to look at features you like/need in a good synth and see if these are represented in eurorack form. The more CV ins and outs the better.

Modular Grid is well handy. Has all modules indexed by manafacturer, function and price. Plus you can put together mock up systems to see what will fit in youā€™re set up

http://www.modulargrid.net/

Edit: Oh yeah and defo join the muffwiggler forum and check out their marketplace section. Those guys have an awesome second hand eurorack market. Iā€™ve bought a bunch of stuff on there always in good nick, hassle free and much cheaper than buying new. Just make sure you buy off someone with a decent post count and rep
[/quote]
If you want to try something different, check out the system 0 by makenoise. Amazing oscillator, low pass gate. Maths and 40hp or so spare, with a power supply that doesnā€™t use rack space
http://www.makenoisemusic.com/system0.shtml

The system 0 looks nice I was pretty much debating getting that but in the tip top case. I think it works out cheaper that way.

Trying to decide if I should get the DPO or mix and match with an STO and a Z3000

I tried the DPO recently with an A4 & a 303 as a sequencer, and the thing is a beast! Iā€™m not too sure about the prices but Iā€™d prefer the make noise case

I tried it out at http://www.londonmodular.co.uk/ itā€™s the place I bought my A4 from there and they make their own Modular cases. Really good guys to buy from

+1 for the DPO. It can be bread and butter but it can also go into really really complex places. It has a lot of stuff going on under the hood, and i would think it can keep a modular user happy for a long time. The sync on its saw wave alone is absolutely brutal.

I went for Rubicon+Dixie+uFold. A bit more expensive, but much more patchability, awesome tracking, and you get TZFM.
but I have to admit that DPO sounds gorgeous.

Another +1 for the DPO. Itā€™s ballistic

Get it. You wonā€™t be disappointed

Thereā€™s one now on muffs for like $500

Thatā€™s pretty good even for a second hand price

or

seem to be my options fir my starter set up. The thing that puts me off the DPO is that it costs just a little less than the intelligel atlantis.

Starting out 3U but blatently gonna be a 6U. Iā€™ve already spent my entire years budget in my head. What have I unleashed.