Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

I think it depends which direction you want your modular integration to go.

After I started with Rings/Clouds I got Braids so I could have another voice to control from A4 (Braids already has a built in AD envelope). After that it was really about adding more modulation so I picked up Tides. Then I wanted some mixing/VCA so I picked up Veils.

The breakthrough for me was to get Pamela’s New Workout and its exp1 expender. Pam is now the main clock with MIDI out to A4. Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alu_cCDJIts where there is a section at the end on the A4.

After getting more modulation then I thought I needed to get more utility modules, I know they are important and I don’t understand them all yet, I just know I need them and it’s just a matter of understanding why.

So I recently added Links/Kinks and Blinds. I also got Ripple as an extra filter.

Next I can get more interesting flashy modules I supposed. I am thinking the ER-301 so I don’t need to get an octatrack.

Damn this rabbit hole…

A few days in with the A4MK2 and the most enjoyable thing for me so far is the CV possibilities and the audio in, I had no idea it would be so much fun. I don’t even have a eurorack system but it has brought the 0-Coast to life in way I didn’t think possible and to think I had been toying with the idea of selling the 0-Coast. I even got a little thing going with the Koma Field Kit where I sent a seq to the 0-Coast and the 0-Coast square out to the Koma so the DC Motor is vibrating in pitch with the sequence against a contact mic, basically having the motor as an oscillator. I discovered this little trick when using the Beatstep pro but now having the possibilities to play it through envelopes and filters makes it sound great and more than just a gimmick. Now I’m gonna try parameter lock my Moogerfoogers.

On the downside, this will probably now probably lead me down the eurocrack rabbit hole and subsequently ruin me.

4 Likes

I use the Analog Keys (and before it, the Analog Four) with my modular quite a lot. I have a room full of modular and vintage synths of all sorts, with lots of different voltage/gate/trigger requirements and I have never encountered a better companion for these instruments. I so loved using the A4 with my vintage gear that I swapped it out for the AK in order to make it my “master CV keyboard”. All four of the AK’s CV outputs are routed to a patchbay so that I can easily send any of them to any synth in the room. I actually wish I’d kept the A4 so that I could have double the CV on hand, but lacked the space. Maybe I’ll eventually make room for a MkII.

The coolest thing about the A4/AK is how flexible the CV stuff is. I’ve used it with my modular, Minimoog, 2600, VCS3, original MS-20 and Odyssey. Most of these have different requirements (s-trig vs v-trig, Hz/V vs V/Oct, 10v gates vs 4v triggers, .032v/Oct vs 1v/Oct, etc). The A4/AK never let me down.

For the past few days I’ve had a big ‘Berlin School’ thing set up in which the AK is sending 8th-note gates to the modular to act as a master clock. It’s also sending a master pitch voltage for each gate. I’ve got three different sequencers clocked to it and each set up to play a different sequence in C-minor. I’ve got the remaining two AK CV outputs sequencing an ARP 2600 - also in C-minor. The four other tracks on the AK are also sequenced. All of this is on a single pattern. By programming all sequences in C-Minor, I can then use the AK’s Transpose function to transpose all of the various sequencers in realtime. It’s really, really, cool.

6 Likes

Very interestingly… I have my A4 CV outs (pitch,gate) hooked up to a roland aira module ins.

You can route the aira ins to an audio interface out in vcvrack… and it actually works, in tune for pitch too! (This surprised me, no attenuation or amplification required).

So for a £129 module I now have braids, clouds etc. with my A4!

1 Like

Nice one!
Does anyone know where i can get such a small case?

http://www.doepfer.de/a100p_e.htm#A100LC1

1 Like

Unfortunately the power is too less in this one. But i found one from pittsburgh :slight_smile:

1 Like