Which semi-modular?

Also… I just saw this earlier today. The /r/synthesizers reddit has a spreadsheet tracking various synthesizers/etc and they now have a tab in that spreadsheet dedicated to ‘Full Voice Modulars’. There are ones out there like the Intellijel Atlantis that seem really solid but get forgotten as they’re a couple years older than SV-1, 0-Coast, Mother32. (I had actually forgotten about the Atlantis because for some reason I thought it was a limited-run module).

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

Just got a Korg MS-20 mini and I really like it! Now i’m just wondering how to get it to sequence/sync with my Elektrons!!

1 Like

Good decision and I am sure that you will have much fun. This synth is very versatile :smiley:

Congrats from a fellow MS-20 Mini owner.

So far all I’ve done with it is make drone/ambient stuff and mess around with self-generating noises - no real attempts at sequencing yet. I might just sequence via MIDI from the Octatrack. I’ve heard of various workarounds for the limited MIDI implementation of the MS-20 Mini (only responds to MIDI note number - that’s it) - one idea I might explore is using my KMI QuNexus as a MIDI-CV converter, with the QuNexus CV used for modulation rather than pitch. Thus:

OT -> MS-20 for pitch only (MIDI note number)
OT-> QuNexus -> MS-20 for modulation or even just gate, so filter activity or whatever is in sync w/ the OT.

1 Like

I’m in love with my Korg MS-20M. I especially like her 4 little knobs in the filter section. I can spend several hours on them salivating :slight_smile:

Details of my setup: Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

4 Likes

The 0-coast is a beauty, no doubt. I’d be keen to check out the Behringer Model D, when it becomes more widely available. At that price ($300), it’d be tough to beat.

Im gonna trade my analog four mki for a mother 32 and a plankton ants this coming week, first time with modulars so really excited to see what kind of fun it offers! Anyonre got any tips regarding using these two synths together?

+1 for the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms Black Box, I am having so much fun with it and my Digitakt.

2 Likes

+1 for the SEM, the 0-Coast will just be a stopgap to euro. :wink:

1 Like

A pairing of the M32 and 0 Coast is bringing me immense joy at he moment

Been CV sequencing my MS-20mini and Mother-32 with the Analog 4. Pretty cool! But now it’s making want to go full eurorack!!

Did you have this a while, Adam, back in your Eurorack days? I know it’s some time ago, but there’s very little mentions here. Would recommend in hindsight?

I really love the sound of my recent Barp2600. The idea of having that sound with me - even with some of the self patching weirdness, maybe with my Doepfer random S&H next to it - in my small rack is super appealing.

(In general, now I’m practicing live improvising more these days, I’m finding that semi modular full voices are a bit easier to keep track of)

I did not. I went with an Atlantis instead, but only briefly.

1 Like

Thanks

I still say got for it!
There are more small case options now too with 4ms pods.

Follow your bliss!

1 Like

Yeah I think I might at some point. I have a 6U case actually. Which I like, but is filled with loads of individual modules which makes for more expensive yet more difficult to overview when improvising. So I might introduce this one and exit some other modules. 2600 is such a good sound to me.

1 Like

Cascadia or two taigas? Go!

1 Like

I’d say Cascadia, but only b/c I have a hard enough time focusing on one machine.

What about Cascadia vs Taiga + Strega + 0-Coast?

1 Like

Cascadia :p, that utility strip is awesome.

1 Like