Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

Nothing for now! just received my Clouds PCB and hope to put it together soon. I plan on it being my only eurorack module… hmmm cough :sweat_smile:

Lately I’ve been using the CV outs with a Folktek Matter to program weird sounding beats and grooves. Lots of fun, but I’m basically sacrificing two A4 synth tracks to have four cv trig tracks.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/299219 … currently this

Oh man, the Matter looks so tasty. For the hell of it, I put together a 12U drum rack on Modular Grid, and Matter was what inspired it…really tempting to build it at some point, too.

1 Like

I’m very fond of mine. More versatile than I first thought it would be, too. I mostly use it for rhythmic stuff, but sometimes I run simple, melodic synth patches through it for mangled, noisy synth riffs. I Instagrammed an early attempt at this.

Have you looked at Conduit? Since I don’t have the space nor money for it, I haven’t read up on it yet.

I haven’t really looked at Conduit. The Folktek stuff is rad, but pricey, and I’m new to this so my eyes are a lot bigger than my wallet, you know?

The little patch cable thing is cool, but kinda offputting as well…I feel like those would quickly get lost or eaten by one of my cats!

I keep the miniature cables in a ziploc bag in the same container as the rest of my patch cables. Patching with them is a bit fiddly. It is easy for a cable to slip out of its patch point when I am patching another. It doesn’t take much to accidentally pull them out. But it is funny how the normal sized cables feels gigantic after some Matter patching. :slight_smile:

I couldnt read 627 pages of the thread, but to add, id like to show my setup. My gas onset was like that of a seasonal allergy starting with the A4, then mutable instruments rings and a beatstep… the rest is a blur…

The pico set comes tomorrow along with disting mk3 in a week… diy solder kit arrived yesterday to start building vca and other woggly stuff

2 Likes

oh crap. i think i finally caught the modular bug

im doomed

1 Like

Then, whatever you do, then never-ever ever click a link to Modulargrid.net

DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK @mattleaf YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

2 Likes

You clicked it, didn’t you?! I can see from the number! And I know that you aren’t coming back.

2 Likes

It’s over.

That mortgage pipe dream really was just that… a fantasy

It all makes sense now.

1 Like

I have the Analog Rytm/A4 combo as the foundation for all sequencing/fx. Got a Deopfer A-100P9 with only 2 modules MI Rings and Clouds. A4 CV to Rings, Rings to Clouds, Clouds back into A4. Both AR and A4 patterned sync’ed.

It covers enough sounds to start with and is capable to expand to more modules over time, like someone said, baby steps.

But it’s a rock solid foundation and I’m very happy with it.

1 Like

Total cv/modular newb. At the risk of sounding stupid can each the 4 AK cv outs send separate pitch sequence info at the same time?

My AK is away for screen replacement so I can’t check the CV pages out to get a feel for it and I recently got a Dom1. Wondering if I can simultaneously send a separate sequence to each of the 3 Dom1 Oscs?

So basically I guess I’m asking whether the 4 cv outs = 4 ‘tracks’ or 4 ‘parameters’. And if it’s the latter, is there a workaround to send 3 separate pitch sequences simultaneously? Thanks.

You need to remember that you always need a pair of CV if you want to sequence something with a pitch. One cv for gate and one for pitch. If I recall correctly, there is only one sequencer track in A4 for CV so you are unfortunately limited to one track with two additional CVs for modulation.

Had to check, you can assign CVs to any A4 track, so you should be able to sequence two tracks. 2x gate + pitch. Or in theory, you can use different pitches for three tracks and only one gate track.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Ah, that’s a shame :frowning: whole thing is hurting my head! First I was planning to use OT to sequence the Dom but then I wouldn’t have the AK sequencer’s trig conditions and no cv to access those Dom1 parameters or the individual Dom Oscs.

So I figured AK would be the better option. Which I guess it still is but just not quite as extensively as I’d hoped. I’m sure it’ll be enough to keep me occupied for a while tho :wink:

What’s the deal with midi>cv conversion boxes? Maybe I’ll look at that route and then be able to use 3 OT midi tracks to send 3 separate pitch sequences to the Dom1 Oscs? Don’t know if possible/feasible/costly… Need to do me some reading…

Sweet, thanks for checking that out :slight_smile: That sounds a lot more flexible :slight_smile: I’ll try it out when my AK comes back.

True enough, but the de-facto second ‘Track’ for CV is the usually free FX track

2 Likes

If I use the CV track + the FX track will that give me 2 x ‘pitch+gate’? Leaving me still the 4 internal A4 synth tracks to use ‘normally’?

Or do I need to sequence each gate on one track + each pitch on another. If it’s the latter that seems like could be a hassle? Having to program the notes on one track then program the gates on another?

Sorry for the clueless q’s.