What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

Have to say the multitude of modules is overwhelming. I am browsing modular grid and I am frightened… Don’t know where to start from. Pamela’s New Workout appeals to me as a good source of modulation for Subharmonicon and DFAM. Something granular also appeals to me and in that regard Beads looks cool :slight_smile: I don’t want to get into full modular (for the moment…) but would rather look at modules to go along with Subharmonicon and DFAM in order to modulate these.
The search begins…

1 Like

Don’t do it…

:wink:

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Do it, it’s fun! My advice from personal experience is to stay away from modular grid, it’s not needed at all to put a few modules in a skiff. Deleted my account after 2 months, I just don’t need that insanity in my life. Just a few interchangeable modules to play with sounds.

I have to disagree… Modulargrid is the main appeal of modular :wink:

3 Likes

I was in the same boat (or skiff :slight_smile: )… had DFAM and M32 plus some other CV sources from the A4 and Pro2, so started small with a 4MS 48hp Pod case for Beads, Antumbra Knit (Plaits basically) and the RML EFCCV (for CV controlled distortion).

When you get into using Beads it really is more of a “texture synthesizer” than a reverb. You can make killer sounds just running simple white noise or field recordings into it.

4 Likes

I know that you tried the Microcosm but wasn’t convinced. How do Beads compare to the Microcosm? Thank you.

There are some similarities. The thing I didn’t like about the Microcosm was the basic tone of it’s reverb, which sounded “plastic-y” to me. The reverb on the Beads is relatively dark and smooth sounding, kind of like an 80’s Lexicon… I use it more of a bed underneath the granular side of it. I do wish you could control the reverb more under the hood (pre-delay, diffusion etc) but it’s overall sound works well as is for me.

1 Like

I already have some nice Reverb algorithms (Doctor A and Specular v3 plus Digitakt) so not sure if it would be redundant.

I would say definitely not.

2 Likes

I really like the sound of the Beads verb, could even be a base for a verb module … maybe when the code is Open Source it will be further developed.

1 Like

Watch RMR’s video on it and you will order one before the video ends!!!

I did that :smiley:

This one brings me smiles every time I play with it!
Congrats

1 Like

nah, you’re just realizing what you want/need out of the machines. and which ones will give it to you. just because they’re less fully-featured machines doesn’t mean anything. getting the results you’re after and being inspired to use the machines to get them is the most important part.

3 Likes

New to the world of Elektron and just received my Octatrack today. Going to be using it to record/mangle my modular system. Here’s to a weekend of beer and instruction manuals!!

15 Likes

I think both the SQ80 V and Emulator II V soft synths look very interesting so I took Arturia up on the current upgrade deal.

My intention is to use these primarily in post to layer with recorded synth and guitar parts.

2 Likes

I don’t have an OT, but I hear that Merlin’s Guide is highly recommended: A polished version of Merlin's OT guide here have fun!

2 Likes

Damn, I’m realising that I could upgrade from 6 to 8 too… 5 new synths for 149€ sounds fair

1 Like

Essential!

1 Like

Not new but improved

Intentions: compete with live2 users on the go without the touchscreen noodling

12 Likes