What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

this era of akais have always been my favorite to work with.
now if there was only a way to wedge the emu zplanes into it…we would have had a next-to-perfect sampler…

1 Like

Maybe it needs a couple of Emu and Ensoniq friends to round out the full range of 90s options…

I didnt care for the rest of the emus. They were nice and all, but only used them for the filters. Much perferred the akai UI

I never actually used one. I’ve played with a bunch of the Akais - 900, 950, 1000, 2000, 3000 - but I can’t actually remember using any other make of rack sampler at all. Somebody I knew did have a Roland one but I can’t remember which model and I never got my hands on it. It was black with blue writing on it and skinny - skinnier than the 2000, even (which was unfeasibly thin compared to the others I’d used)

Sounds like either an S330 or S760.

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with a DFAM. So many possibilities…

Also I recommend Beads highly. Seriously creative piece of kit.

1 Like

Is the 330 12-bit? I’m intrigued now. How does it stack up against the more celebrated 12-bit grit masters?

Waiting for mine.

1 Like

I keep thinking i should get another hardware sampler. But its the one thing that i concede that can no longer complete with software. It doesnt matter which one it is. s series, emu, asr’s, 1010blackbox, octatrack, mpcs…
Synths and pretty much everything else theres still a use in the hardware world, but not samplers imho.
I still swear by my mpc, but i dont use the sampler in it. its just a midi sequencer. its been that way since i tried out battery 1, ableton 1, gigasampler way back in the day.
I have about 50 samples in my MD of some world percussion and other things it doesnt do well itself, but thats about it with a hardware sampler for me anymore. And its all just playback.

i know im gonna get it and its just gonna sit there and then i’ll have to start the “Gear Buying Regret” thread

1 Like

Ultimately I don’t disagree with a lot of your misgivings - and my main workflows are either via Sampler/Simpler/Drum Racks in Ableton or in Koala on iOS - but the key difference for me is that this basically replacing my TR8S thanks to being paired with the Launchpad Pro 3. To some degree the sample editing is potentially a ballache, but my main interest in it is for drums which shouldn’t be too taxing to edit. I like the idea of doing the whole downsampling, recording in sped up and pitching down etc so I will do that too, but essentially I want to recording in samples, degrade them and then output each hit to its own effect chain.

I’ll get back to you in a few weeks with a progress report (I have done the “hardware samplers are great… Nobody got time for that!” 180 before…)

1 Like

Between here and that other forum, I’m with you, and iOS has cured a lot of my GAS (except GAS turned into app collecting, but its far cheaper). A lot of people think its crazytalk, but “They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is But It Do”…:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Model Cycles. I feel like I am going backwards. Started with the Analog RTHM and Analog Four, then got the Digitakt and Digitone. Now I have the Model Cycles. Started to order the Model Samples today when I found out it was on sale but the companies I normally use have already sold out. That’s okay. With everyone putting them on sale at the same time I’m guessing that Elektron is about to put out a new version.

Don’t be so sure. Get M:S now if you want it at the lower price. The sale ends in a week :grimacing:

1 Like

I’ll probably get a M:C before the discount period ends.

New version isn’t always better.

1 Like

Good to know. Coffee shop meetup! :laughing:

1 Like

Def. not getting the official handle tho! (sorry Elektron)

1 Like

Ha! I haven’t bought an app in weeks and I CAN STOP ANY TIME I WANT TO! :grimacing::joy:

Yes, S330 = 12 bit, circa 1989.
Not 100% sure on sound, but I know some love it. Editing is via old school monitor and mouse. I suspect it’s the same / similar sample engine to the W30 keyboard, not 100% on that. Memory is small (2meg?) and floppy disk storage.

Like: Old school sound.

Dislike: Old school workflow.

Worth reading into me thinks.

1 Like

Damn - Fairlight style? That’s pretty amazing. I hasn’t even considered that. There’s no way I have space for a CRT monitor, alas.

1 Like

:100:
I would not mind another Beads!

1 Like