What's next for Elektron?

yeah…

and I mean… a good friend messaged me three days ago all like “you have a digitakt right? I have questions”. The questions included the usual “is elektron just cold techno?” and “is it really hard to learn elektron boxes.”… and now he owns one!..

I reckon the time they’ll make a MK2 is more likely when they stop selling like hot cakes? Or when new tech arrives that means it’s a bigger jump…

Like… the stuff that isn’t in a Digitakt isn’t there because they didn’t want it to be more than because it was impossible.
I mean, more storage, or even using SD cards wouldn’t have made it massively more expensive would it?

You’d be surprised at the extra costs involved with testing lots of different cards (including defective and/or slow ones) and handling support requests because no matter how many you test there’s always one ‘in the wild’ that won’t work. Also, any connection that can become loose will one day and cause headaches.
By eliminating external storage the machine will be cheaper and more reliable.

2 Likes

Is there some kind of an intuitive Digitakt file management software that would allow to easily detect and delete unused samples, export/import project images and so on ?

That would probably replace the need for extra storage.

oh yeah, for sure the after-market support cost of letting people plug any old janky crap in is not so insignificant and probably ends up getting the box a reputation for being less reliable, even though it’s the cards fault…I imagine that was a key part of the decision to not do it…

just saying the actual cost of putting an SD card slot in instead of a +drive probably wasn’t.

yes, third party, but this is what you want;

2 Likes

or the mature version for 1.30 o/s

1 Like

Yea it’s as kj says probably more the additional costs it creates - I’ve had to get a replacement OT card from Elektron and people often crop up in the forums with issues relating to the card/reader. It’s also something they need to programme, test and maintain in their proprietary codebase - there are a lot more considerations with removable media in that regard.

It simplifies the design considerably to have onboard storage and most OT users are scared to remove their cards anyway :joy:

Would be nice to have an app to mirror Digitakt display on the iPad, so to have a more confortable visual experience. An app could also have the touch screen feature for values, type sample names with on screen keyboard, include Elk Herd natively into app etc.
I mean, Overbridge came out years ago: Elektron - it’s time to go ahead

I always hate it when I accidentally press the eject button. Like now I have to take it out and put it back.

1 Like

9 Likes

Whatever is next I’m excited for it. I’ll be giddy for more Syntakt machines, a new MD or MNM, new flag ship etc

1 Like

No need to come up with a dream machine. It’s obvious they aren’t wanting to do anything like that because it would kill their sales. I’m talking about an updated Machinedrum & Monomachine for example. They already have the cases as they’re the same size as an OT. They already have most of the functions down, save for some sequencer features. And updated hard drive and functions & both of those would blow away any current synth/drum Elektron box…no contest.

I actually can’t think of anything I want above what I have (ST+DN+DT+A4) … except improvements for existing products. More machines for Syntakt, more synth or synth-related options for Digitone, chorus for Digitakt …

And what use would be an Elektron FX box if none of the Digis have separate outputs …

Otherwise, I guess a Digibox with a Hydrasynth inside (so to speak) would be cool and I’d definitely try it out …

3 Likes

Some clever Overbridge thing could be interesting :star_struck: Allow you to access individual channels on an external FX/mixer type box. Could also work as a gateway to the outside world for doing other multi track things.

But they are very refined devices - solid featureset geared around doing their job well - there will always be more that they could do, but what they do they do very well.

4 Likes

Agree with that, but you can just make a test menu which test the card with a heavy benchmark. And if it fail the benchmark, then you say to customer this card fail the test.

And you say you only support this 3 big brand not more. A bit like Nintendo and Sony PlayStation.

“introducing the Analog outs” a box that gives analog outs for all you Digi devices !

2 Likes

My totally uninformed guess is that the new product will be a sort of FX-laden mixer that serves as a DAWless Overbridge host. It could have multiple USB ports that would split out into as many channels as the corresponding devices need.

4 Likes

The mixer thing has been discussed a lot, even more so recently with the popularity of things like the template EZBOT put out for OT. I think this is also where things should go. Overbridge outside the DAW, performance mixer with FX. Could also be accomplished with a supplied USB dongle but the idea would be a true USB host.

I like this idea but I wonder about the specifics. Like I am kinda assuming it would be a device that could connect multiple elektron boxes like overbridge. I wonder how it would manage the widely variable number of tracks that could encompass. Like say you plug in two Digitones you only have 8 audio tracks. Two Syntakts and you have 24. I wonder how they would pull this off from a UI/UX perspective.

2 Likes

Digitakt mk2: (with syntakt’s format, 12 tracks, analog filter bock, modifiers etc ) but with slicing, timestretching, and a new two sample layer machine. it’s time. I’d happily pay 1000 plus for the upgrades.

10 Likes