What's next for Elektron?

Whatever is next I’m excited for it. I’ll be giddy for more Syntakt machines, a new MD or MNM, new flag ship etc

1 Like

No need to come up with a dream machine. It’s obvious they aren’t wanting to do anything like that because it would kill their sales. I’m talking about an updated Machinedrum & Monomachine for example. They already have the cases as they’re the same size as an OT. They already have most of the functions down, save for some sequencer features. And updated hard drive and functions & both of those would blow away any current synth/drum Elektron box…no contest.

I actually can’t think of anything I want above what I have (ST+DN+DT+A4) … except improvements for existing products. More machines for Syntakt, more synth or synth-related options for Digitone, chorus for Digitakt …

And what use would be an Elektron FX box if none of the Digis have separate outputs …

Otherwise, I guess a Digibox with a Hydrasynth inside (so to speak) would be cool and I’d definitely try it out …

3 Likes

Some clever Overbridge thing could be interesting :star_struck: Allow you to access individual channels on an external FX/mixer type box. Could also work as a gateway to the outside world for doing other multi track things.

But they are very refined devices - solid featureset geared around doing their job well - there will always be more that they could do, but what they do they do very well.

4 Likes

Agree with that, but you can just make a test menu which test the card with a heavy benchmark. And if it fail the benchmark, then you say to customer this card fail the test.

And you say you only support this 3 big brand not more. A bit like Nintendo and Sony PlayStation.

“introducing the Analog outs” a box that gives analog outs for all you Digi devices !

2 Likes

My totally uninformed guess is that the new product will be a sort of FX-laden mixer that serves as a DAWless Overbridge host. It could have multiple USB ports that would split out into as many channels as the corresponding devices need.

4 Likes

The mixer thing has been discussed a lot, even more so recently with the popularity of things like the template EZBOT put out for OT. I think this is also where things should go. Overbridge outside the DAW, performance mixer with FX. Could also be accomplished with a supplied USB dongle but the idea would be a true USB host.

I like this idea but I wonder about the specifics. Like I am kinda assuming it would be a device that could connect multiple elektron boxes like overbridge. I wonder how it would manage the widely variable number of tracks that could encompass. Like say you plug in two Digitones you only have 8 audio tracks. Two Syntakts and you have 24. I wonder how they would pull this off from a UI/UX perspective.

2 Likes

Digitakt mk2: (with syntakt’s format, 12 tracks, analog filter bock, modifiers etc ) but with slicing, timestretching, and a new two sample layer machine. it’s time. I’d happily pay 1000 plus for the upgrades.

10 Likes

If I recall correctly the reason the Machinedrum & MM were discontinued was unavailability of some key parts. If they have to reimplement the software on another DSP architecture that would mean a lot of work. Also, building an aluminum case isn’t a big issue - it’s about the cheapest way to make a sturdy housing (I think molded plastic can be cheaper but the setup costs are way higher).

1 Like

Digitakt keys! … Actually, it could be pretty awesome. Like a classic key sampler approach

3 Likes

would buy!
live dub mixing time…

I guess bussing channels as groups?
even 10 faders is kinda too many to manage for one set of hands anyway…

either that or multiple pages with motorised faders (though this is probably getting expensive already!)

Yeah, I was kinda thinking something a bit like the octatrack where you have a specific number of audio tracks, and in each of those you have a source selection where you can select a mix of the inputs.

That would be useful for grouping things logically too, like having a drum bus separate to other voices.

also would mean you can buss a syntakt track with a digitakt sample (for example) which sounds kinda cool to me.

1 Like

A while ago I was talking to a friend of a friend who knows stuff or two about elektron’s current agenda and the gist was that they are working on creating a new code framework for the whole future product lineup and whatever comes out next will be showing a glimpse of this new paradigm.

17 Likes

Phaser/Flanger effect on some boxes would be cool!

2 Likes

That sweet sweet hybrid hardware/cloud subscription model incoming…

2 Likes

They can update only the sequencer part of it, as long as I know. They don’t have the rights for rest of the code as original Octatrack developer died in car accident.