What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

I’ve realized I spend far too much time online for my own good and I decided to read more, ideally with a focus on popular culture. What are your favorites?

I’ve just finished

Mr. Pikes - The story behind the Ibiza legend

and started

DJ Dribbler - Harry’s Kebabs

Will pick up today:

Simon Reynolds - Energy flash

9 Likes

The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock

next up

The Reddening by Adam Neville

7 Likes

Recently finished ‘Pale Fire’ by Vladimir Nabokov (impressive!) and now I’m enjoying ‘The Magic Toyshop’ by Angela Carter.

10 Likes

Just read “Finite and Infinite Games” by James P. Carse, which I found quite odd in that it’s so aphoristic - quotable but enigmatic - for a book about long- and short-term thinking and seems to have dated well since publication in the 1980s.

I just started “Uproot: Travels in 21st-Century Music and Digital Culture” by Jace Clayton. The first chapter seemed to be a stock-in-trade DJ biography but the later chapters, including discussion of Autotune use by Berber producers in Morocco, are far more interesting and original.

5 Likes

horse destroys the universe - Cyriak Harris

not a big reader, but devoured this in a few days.
hadn’t had my mind bended like that since Flow my tears the policeman said - PK Dick

4 Likes

Just finished The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. Great atmosphere and ambivalence.

Making my way through Stalingrad by Vasily Grossman. Soaring humane observations made between explicit Soviet nationalism and thin relationships. I’m hoping Life and Fate proves different.

1 Like

Cossy Fanni Tutti- Art Sex Music

6 Likes

I’ve read the manual of the deluge box.
Because I spent a lot of money on it and want to know what possibilities it gives.
The time before this I spent with reading “It”.

2 Likes

oldie but goldie

11 Likes

Yuval Noah Harari - Sapiens

Easily the most mind-blowing book I’ve read in a while. I was expecting a more biology-related book, and there’s some of that, but also a lot of other things and I can’t recommend it enough.

9 Likes

Working my way through the expanse books. Pure space opera mixing action and politics in equal measure. Easy reading though. Not too dense

5 Likes

I’m reading the original Frozen Hell that The Thing was based on. Also, it’s been over a year, but The Expanse comment made me remember - The 3 Body Problem trilogy is astounding for anyone into hard Sci-fi. It’s unlike anything I’ve read. Loved it.

2 Likes

Currently reading
Calypso - David Sedaris
Last few things I’ve read:
Dune 1-6 - Frank Herbert (for the second time) {can’t get behind the Brian Herbert ones}
The Hobbit
The Dark Tower series - Stephen King

1 Like

martin eden jack london : so so great
lot of dick’ novels
globalia ruffin.

1 Like

“Who Goes There” is amazing, and I had no idea there was a different version of it. Thanks!

Yeah! “They” found a manuscript in some college’s vaults. We get a lot more build up than the published work.

1 Like

I’ll add three body problem to the list

2 Likes

Valis -PK Dick, I’m getting a lot more out of it this time through as I have become more familiar with gnostic thought. Last time I read it I was in my twenties, and I was like “ok neat.” About 3/4 of way through I think we are going to meet valis soon.

The Bible, just started; seems like an appropriate read in our troubled (always troubled?) times. Finished Job and it was awesome, now flipping randomly through the book of Luke. Not as memorable as Job. Haha, Job may have ruined the whole rest of the bible for me :slight_smile:

AntiFragile, read it awhile ago, really had an affect on me. Love the concepts and apply them almost daily. -Nassim Taleb btw.

5 Likes

Buddhism Without Beliefs by Stephen Batchelor

Read it every so often. Just finished it again.

4 Likes

Norman Jay - Mr Good Times