What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

Only listing the absolutely excellent stuff I’ve been reading recently:

N.K. Jemisin’s Broken Earth trilogy
Ta-Nehishi Coates - The Water Dancer
Sam Bowring - Scarlette Doesn’t Matter and Goes Time Travelling
Becky Chambers - To be Taught, If Fortunate
Sue Burke’s Semiosis duology
Yoon Ha Lee’s Machineries of Empire series
Martha Wells’ The Murderbot Diaries series
Nnedi Okorafor’s Binti & Akata series

All speculative fiction, mostly sci-fi, some with fantasy elements, a little magic realism. All highly recommended!

3 Likes

I’ve been reading 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. For some reason it has taken me ages to finish. Usually when a book is really good it grabs me by the lapels and pulls me in and after a couple of days I come out of the book with a foaming mouth telling everybody how great it was.

This one is basically very good and interesting (about the earth and mankind 300 years to the future after global warming has made earth a really tough place to live in and mankind has made it’s way to the closest heavenly bodies and somehow survived.) It’s more Carl Sagan than Steven Spielberg and ATM I feel like I need perhaps a little less realism and a little more fantasy. Under 100 pages to go. Then I can start something a bit lighter. Maybe a Reynolds or Banks space opera or something similar.

In the meantime I’ve also bought a bunch of classics from my teenage years into my bookshelf. The first six Mars novels by E.R. Burroughs and such. I’m yearning to read something simple and cheesy like that.

1 Like

In that case I highly recommend either Scarlette Doesn’t Matter and Goes Time Travelling if you want something really funny or Murderbot if you just want some relatively light, interesting, and fun adventure.

1 Like

Just starting on the fourth book in the Red Rising series, pretty over the top but pretty fun too!

I just started this one! Hooked!

2 Likes

Mostly post-modernist stuff like the Octatrack manual.

14 Likes

Just finished Neuromancer and Count Zero. Almost through Mona Lisa Overdrive. Can’t recommend the Sprawl Trilogy enough

12 Likes

It’s a classic series, read through it three times now and will read again once I’ve forgotten enough. Have you read some of his recent work?

2 Likes

Len Deighton, Randolph Stow

1 Like

The second book in the Dune series. It’s really good!!

6 Likes

Depending on my mood, I’m switching between

Why We’re Polarized- Ezra Klein
Idoru- William Gibson
Patch and Tweak- Kim Bjorn/Chris Meyer

2 Likes

I’m on a classic fantasy kick at the moment. Just finished re-reading the original Earthsea trilogy and am now getting into Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonflight. I have owned copies of the first three ‘Pern’ books for decades, but for some reason have never really gotten hooked into them until now.

5 Likes

No. He’s been on my list for a little while and just started diving in. Looking forward to reading more of his work. I’ll definitely be coming back to the series again. Stuff like this always deserves multiple reads.

1 Like

I’ve been reading and re-reading those books for almost fifty years. I love them as much now as I did when I was a kid.

1 Like

Ada, or Ardor is also full of Nabokov-esque prose (kind of feels like he’s just showing off). Another good read though.

3 Likes

Damn, me too. I actually love both the Sprawl and Bridge Trilogy. After reading those, I just went on and read the rest of his work.

This (:point_up:) has been on my “next” list for a while.

2 Likes

Here’s a few I’ve read recently, just non fiction books for me.

BBC Brainwashing Britain - David Sedgwick.
Tell the truth and shame the Devil - Gerard Menuhin
The Real Lolita - Sarah Weinman
The Cogwheel Brain - Doron Swade
Dreamland - Bob Lazar
Hammer of the Gods - David Luhrssen
America’s Jack the Ripper - Soren Roest Korsgaard

Just this week I received Pedal Crush in the mail. Now my trinity is complete.
It’s the best of the bunch this far if you ask me.

4 Likes

That a cracking trinity.
I hope to own them soon

1 Like

Ken Kesey’s Sometimes a Great Notion is one of the greatest works of literature I’ve read in recent years. I am so head-over-heels in LOVE with this work and it’s a shame it’s not at the top of many Great American Novel lists.

The prose is unbelievably pretty and real. The structure is challenging but comprehensible. The narrator will change in the middle of a paragraph (sentence, even!) and keeping up with it is like a fun game. One paragraph will have the points of view of three different narrators and how it aids in the telling of the story is just mind-boggling.

I love it.

5 Likes