What book are you reading and why

Let‘s try not to turn this thread into a food blog – but reading a food book as well: The Noma Guide to Fermentation - highly recommended – looking forward to trying this stuff!

3 Likes

Because when if not now…

7 Likes

I need to read that. Probably everyone does!

Were there specific recipes in there? I got the Art of Fermentation when picking between the two and was a little sad it didn’t have much in the way of practical application. It seemed more like a love letter to the ‘art’. Maybe I just picked wrong, not that it wasn’t cool in its own way.

yes, everything’s with instructions. Little tip if you want to try before buy - google z-lib / b.ok

Previously on Elektronauts:

6 Likes

The first time I read Gravity’s Rainbow, my sense of disjunction and non-linearity was enhanced by a hefty chunk of it (maybe 50 pages) being inadvertently bound in again later in the book.

What was disappointing about it?

3 Likes

I can’t read :frowning:

Kidding aside…

I like Sci-Fi

4 Likes

I’m reading this…

I live in Sheffield, UK and in my late 40’s so it’s kinda like a local history as well as giving a backdrop to some of my favourite music from that era.

Amongst other local legends there’s a heap of stuff about the birth of Warp and a rare interview with Rob Gordon.

I’m just over half way through and lovin it so far!

5 Likes

Agency William Gibson
Because it’s the latest one and I’ve read the rest

4 Likes

Well, first I would say either the translation isn’t great or Roedelius isn’t a great writer. But more importantly, the juicy era from let’s say 67-80ish doesn’t offer much depth that I didn’t already know. Finally, it’s not organized or cohesive in any way. Just sort of a smattering of writing, some poems that weren’t translated, some essays, some recollections, some more poems. No real order or sense to it. I mean, it didn’t need to be like p. 1 “I was born in…” But there was just no rhyme or reason.

1 Like

Always seem to have 3 on the go on the kindle.

Currently:
The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and The Making of The Western World by Iain McGilchrist (been reading it for a long time, interrupted by other books. Why? I saw an interview with the author and thought he had a fascinating perspective)

God Bless You Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut (I enjoy his books, they’re wacky and pokey and good fun)

Spaciousness - The Radical Dzogchen of the Vajra Heart, a translation by Keith Dowman (because the Dzogchen teachings are marvellously direct and complete when it comes to evoking the nature of reality :grinning: :bell:)

2 Likes

Agency because I’ve read all of Gibson’s other work already. Curious where he goes.

Cybernetic Hypothesis mostly just to get a taste of the scope of cybernetics.

3 Likes

I promise you, you will not regret it.

1 Like

Have you ever read any of James Rollins sigma series? Plenty of them in the series, and you want to start from the beginning if you do. Great sci-fi techno thrillers. I read the last two this week at the beach.

really uplifting reading

4 Likes

514ltp2M-yL.SX315_BO1,204,203,200
why: your going to have to roll for that answer lol

6 Likes

White Fragility
because I’ve finally started kicking myself out of the passivity I’m privileged to have as an option, and want to learn better ways to reflect and act on where I stand

1 Like

exploring alternatives to the current situation. the ebook is free here
https://www.versobooks.com/books/2426-the-end-of-policing

10 Likes

my next read