Waldorf Iridium Keyboard

3 Likes

Looking very closely at the image, especially the arc of the black keys, and comparing that to several keyboards of my own. There is a resemblance to the shape of the Medeli Polytouch keybed in the Hydrasynth. That’s the closest match of my keyboards.

I can’t be too certain of this, but the Medeli keybed certainly could be an option for Waldorf.

ADDED : And it turns out the poly-aftertouch keybed Waldorf uses is from Fatar.

3 Likes

I predict- existing synth but in keyboard form.

6 Likes

I’d guess it’s going to be a key’d version of the M.

Ever since my experience with the Iridium I’ve been a lot…less excited about new Waldorf gear

2 Likes

What was your experience with the Iridium?

1 Like

A QuandiriuM?

Under pressure ? I predict a beer machine !

2 Likes

I predict the Waldorf Mercury.

10 Likes

Im looking up James Bond characters to figure out a synth name

2 Likes

It is a coffee machine… the Waldorf Bialetti!

2 Likes

waldorf oddjob?

5 Likes

It’s obviously the Waldorf Pierce Brosnan.

3 Likes

Waldorf ‘tedious , long , overhyped, predictable , full of product placement and bland’ … not sure it’s a good direction to go in.

Sorry … please don’t reply to this pointless post … I’m not actually interested in what it might be. I only buy cheap synths at the moment.

The Poly Pulse 8 with 61 key poly-aftertouch keyboard.

Someone will inevitably do a Blade Runner sort of demo on it.

Just having fun with the ideas. It’s an open book.

1 Like

Extremely buggy and laggy. It sounded great but whenever I attempted anything too complex it would choke up. Sometimes becoming unresponsive sometimes the audio would get crusty (like when you overload your CPU while running softsynths in a DAW) and it would often crash in ways that weren’t reproducible. I use to do QA for software and hardware instruments so it’s second nature for me to remember what exactly I was doing before encountering a bug so I could right repro reports but when I tried to repro a bug that would crash the Iridium it wouldn’t happen so it just seemed to crash randomly.
Those things plus certain features I found to be lacking or missing entirely plus the touch screen being generally laggy all combined to make me sell it and it’s one of the few things I’ve sold off that I don’t really miss.
The most interesting part of the synth (Kernel mode) was the most cumbersome to program.

It’s a cool synth for sure and capable of a lot it’s just in my opinion no where near completion. For its price point it should have been absolutely rock solid in both software stability and build quality and components and it’s just not.

4 Likes

Damn. Guess I’ll be crossing that one off the list, then… :grimacing:

2 Likes

I don’t know that I’d rule it out completely I would wait and see how the OS looks in a year or so and keep your eyes on the Iridium user groups to see if the production issues get ironed out. It is a really nice synth but the way I see it it’s currently in its beta stage. If Waldorf fixes it then it would still be a pretty desirable synth.

1 Like

It’s pretty wild when I read the problems some have with the Iridium. I’ve had the Iridium for over a year and never once had any issues like that. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Latest post in Iridium thread, where the continuation of this discussion is a better fit, is someone with a crashing Iridium who exchanged it ( for free ) with another and the crash problem went away. My read of that thread is the 3.0 Iridium (beta) software has made large improvements too.

For me, the Iridium has always been conceptually appealing, though I have yet to hear anything from it that would justify adding it to my studio. Nevertheless, on paper it has always intrigued me and has always been near the top of my list of new synths to try.

6 Likes