Waldorf Iridium Keyboard

Or a purple lit landing strip.

1 Like

6 part synth?

6 parts with lift off… :slight_smile:

I sure hope so! I seem to have misplaced my last landing strip.

1 Like

Iridium Keyboard

7 Likes

Interesting… so it’s a Fatar TP8 with poly pressure. Really wish it used Kyra or some new design instead of Iridium. Oh well.

1 Like

Didn’t expect that (I thought the Iridium was the desktop+digital version of the Quantum). So much in that video sound like 80s Tangerine Dream.

2 Likes

Strange it does not look like a TP8 at all… and the price… ouch :expressionless:

EDIT: Fatar Keyboard seems to be a new development. Interesting

1 Like

I am glad it is an Iridium Keyboard (as an owner of an Iridium desktop). Means more resources and extended life to the OS development of my desktop Iridium. It must also mean they’ve decided the Iridium has been a winner for them, which kind of surprises me, but am glad to hear it.

3 Likes

Now, comparing this to the Quantum, this is a great deal and hurts the Quantum’s sellability.
Better price, poly pressure, double the voices… you lose the analog filters, but you get a lot.

1 Like

Where to for the Quantum ?

1 Like

I’m glad it’s an Iridium Keyboard because I just bought the M and might have been jealous if it were an M Keyboard.

2 Likes

I just went to their website. I am glad I have the desktop. I don’t need another keyboard. The added space would be nice, but I can live without it. I do still wish the desktop had more useable pads, or they had used that space for something else (like Macro buttons or LFO control knobs that are now on the Iridium keyboard). It also looks like they’ve moved the six parameter buttons on the sides of the screen a little but further apart, which is a welcome change if true.

Here’s an interesting thing from Waldorf’s website: “Iridium Keyboards contains 1680 sounds programmed by a group of well known sound designers.” 1680? That’s a lot of sounds (presets), but it is also 570 less presets than came stock on my desktop (came with 2250). I mean, who cares, kinda, but a somewhat strange development for their newer version. it will be interesting to see if they have upgraded the technology underneath (memory, processors and screen). I have zero complaints with the processor/memory on the desktop. It is incredibly fast as a fly around the interface, but the screen can be temperamental with touch responsiveness (having to hit a menu item a few times to get it to do something). Maybe that’s a software issue that can be fixed.

1 Like

Interesting and not what I was expecting. For me this is a good thing as an Iridium desktop owner, as there will likely be more software updates (if the keyboard uses the same hardware., which is almost a given)

1 Like

Glad it’s been revealed, I’m on the lookout for a Pro 2 but was worried I’d get one then wish I’d bought whatever Waldorf was putting out.

Fatar with poly aftertouch is a promising sign for the future.

This seems highly likely considering the layout of the hardware (in terms of knobs/function) are nearly identical, except the keyboard has a few more options due to extra space.

I wonder if Waldorf will figure out a way to give desktop owners the “6 macro buttons” option available on the new keyboard version, but through a software upgrade.

1 Like
3 Likes

You might upgrade a processor, and that sort of thing, while you’re at it. You make the cost / function decisions all over anytime you do a major product revision like this.

I wonder if this has any extra outs. Hard to tell but I’m doubtful from the video. I don’t use the two layers on my iridium much because it all comes out one stereo output.