Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

What’s that in pineapple lumps then?

2 Likes

For me three essential features
1: CMI Fairlight quality sampling ----all sample and bit rates up to 24 bit 44.1khz -----can accept Fairlight 8 bit 1480khz Series 1,2,2x and Series III 16 bit librarys. Also sampling quality is best ive seen on any new instrument since the CMI
2: Ability to import DX7 Sysex files --they come out almost 100% and mangle them with rest of Quantum objects
3: Ability to create user flash-able binary images --ive worked with Waldorf on this feature and they will adding it to their FAQ. I wanted the entire flash ram free of the samples and presets that came with it , in the end I kept the Don Solaris presets only and filled the rest of the 4GB flash with my own DX, CMI Fairlight , EMU II library—I can create a binary back up file and restore in 10 mins --amazing —I can wipe the flash of all presets and samples and start all over from scratch.

5 Likes

2300US is there an AUS markup for Waldorf stuff ?

You tell me?

Waldorf Quantam is AU$6,999 at Store DJ; or about US$4,891 as per xe.com

The Kyra is AU$3,499 for context

WoW Thats ridiculous.

I think it will be the same price as the Kyra.

If you want to empathise with your antipodean peers, feel free to read this thread. Recommend you grab a stiff drink prior to though. Could be a lot worse though, some countries in South America and Africa are far worse.

I would imagine so?

2 Likes

Will absolutely be buying this. I’ll hopefully be ready to preorder Friday.

1 Like

If this does indeed show up day after tomorrow ready to ship, i will be very appreciative that they didn’t put us all through a rigmarole of pre-pre-announcements and all that.

2 Likes

One can safely say Iridium will be a future classic . I reckon Waldorf have a 5 year start on every other company to catch up; tech a great as this and at this price point. Waldorf deserve to sell these by the truckload!

3 Likes

Quantum doesn’t have analogue oscillators. It does have two analog filters and a digital filter, whereas it looks like the Iridium has three digital filters.

1 Like

I reckon over the next fiver years we are going to see some very interesting things in the music tech world… we are only at the beginning of the second golden age of synthesis.

6 Likes

I sure hope so… I kinda feel like I’ve watched the same sorta synths get invented and re-interpreted two or three times over my 40 years of making electronic music*. :blush:

*admittedly, it’s often done better the second or third time around!

7 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

Meow :heart_eyes_cat:!

Waldorf infinity for me!
Wish it had more outputs but this could be my first purchase when I come out of my no new gear holding pattern down the road.

3 Likes

Around 2000 Kiwiana

1 Like

I fixed it for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am in on this, and will start saving my pennies forthwith! With the 2.0 update I got really excited but I have no room (or talent) for more keyboards, plus the price made it unattractive, but now! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I am pretty confident of that based on the hardware capabilities that are available; and will be available in the near future :wink:

2 Likes

I will be sharing with everyone in Quantum format–these are converted using translator tools directly from the original binary images, you retain the character and mana of the sample.

1: Complete CMI Series 1-IIX 8 bit library including famous users (Preview pack posted)
2: Complete CMI Series III 16 bit library
3: Complete EMU Emulator II 8 bit library

in meantime enjoy some CMI Series III and EII sounds you all will be getting

4 Likes

a wise move from Waldorf

1 Like