Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

That’s like half the price of the Quantum. That seems like a great deal!

1 Like

Doesnt say if it has analog filters as the Quantum

1 Like

it has digital filters

1 Like

Yep me too! Thought this was Serum or something

1 Like

on a second thought, that doesn’t actually seem to be a lot considering the features…

3 Likes

Interesting addition of these 16 lit pads to the user interface. Sixteen pads sixteen voices.

For the moment i will presume velocity sensitive and perhaps aftertouch sensitive pads. And multi-color backlit too.

ADDED TWO DAYS LATER: There is no velocity, no aftertouch on the pads, and they are not meant to be drummed.

Seems to my imagination that this is headed into a different performance space from the Quantum – rather than being just a rackmount / desktop Quantum.

2 Likes

DANGGGG!!!

Nice

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

Best of Fairlight Series I, II, IIX disk collection for Waldorf Quantum/Iridium.

This is an early version of the collection im working on --please note the presets are only a demo of the disk contents -to use make another blank preset and load your sample or samples into new preset.(Each sample root note is A3 when played back at 14080 Hz)
These are from the Fairlight Sound Database - Carl Jakobssons wonderful site. Thank you Carl
http://www.nattvard.com/iix/utilities.php
I have made presets from what I think are the best disks from the collection, as these are 8 bit wav your Quantum memory wont be impacted a lot. These are not samples from the output of the instrument, these are the binaries on the 8"disk’s that came with the machine converted to Quantum format, they retain the original character.
Each preset contains contents of the entire disk.
https://mega.nz/file/gpozjC6Y#2ZsuuK6bUPHP8XUAQxtJSQQtj6CG5mzIdHCZwc_gWAk

History of the 2X and famous samples
http://www.fortheloveofthefairlight.com/tag/series-iix/

Famous Samples for Quantum/Iridium: The story of ORCH5!
Perhaps the first digital sample to become well known within popular music was actually a piece of Western art music, the fragment of Stravinsky’s Firebird captured within the Fairlight Computer Musical Instrument, the first digital ‘sampler’, as ‘ORCH5’. This loud orchestral attack was made famous by Bronx DJ Afrika Bambaataa, who incorporated the sound into his seminal 1982 dance track, ‘Planet Rock’. Analysis of Kraftwerk’s ‘Trans Europe Express’, also sampled for ‘Planet Rock’, provides an interpretive context for Bambaataa’s use of ORCH5, as well as the hundreds of songs that deliberately sought to copy its sound. Kraftwerk’s concerns about the decadence of European culture and art music were not fully shared by users of ORCH5 in New York City; its sound first became part of an ongoing Afro-futurist musical project, and by 1985 was fully naturalised within the hip-hop world, no more ‘classical’ than the sound of scratching vinyl. To trace the early popular history of ORCH5’s distinctive effect, so crucial for early hip-hop, electro, and Detroit techno, is to begin to tell the post-canonic story of Western art music." Its included in STRINGS4 folder. taken directly from a disc image file so it’s an 8 bit audio file.

6 Likes

Brian Eno; Aphex Twin DX collection for Waldorf Quantum/Iridium.

DX7 sysex files import into Quantum/Iridium and will create presets for you with the preset names and almost all of the settings perfectly. Its a game changer the Quantum is now the machine I always thought it could be. The real power comes when you mangle these presets with the rest of the Quantum objects (try bit crusher) —This is a portal to a whole new Quantum/Iridium universe!
Quantum doesn’t recreate DX7 pitch envelopes or multiple-operator feedback chains but give these a try, I think they came out great.
User 18081971 (Aphex Twin) posted on Soundcloud a collection of DX9 presets.The audio file is patch data from a Yamaha DX9. It contained 20 voices, the maximum amount of voices in one bank in a DX9, and it was in the cassette tape format.
������
Here are the ENO ones from Keyboard Magazine and the best of the User18081971 DX9 sounds I have made into presets.
(138 Quantum Presets)
https://mega.nz/file/cggAxAwY#ax83R1RlHz_Fe_dsVdTgBaUxRgq3SCr5-ACsVjpRWME

6 Likes

Is this thing actually out? Can’t be found on the Waldorf website, and I find it very strange that it would share the same name as the recently released Strymon cab sim pedal…

1 Like

Yes out on June 12 --half the price of Quantum

1 Like

If I get this this will be my Sith synth and the Kyra will be Jedi.

It kind of reminds me of the polar and darkstar virus TI but different synth under the same chassis.

1 Like

Thanks for all the new info, d2ba. Have you actually had your hands on one ? If so what are your thoughts.

I was interested particularly with the new pads, as i posted up thread.

1 Like

What’s that in pineapple lumps then?

2 Likes

For me three essential features
1: CMI Fairlight quality sampling ----all sample and bit rates up to 24 bit 44.1khz -----can accept Fairlight 8 bit 1480khz Series 1,2,2x and Series III 16 bit librarys. Also sampling quality is best ive seen on any new instrument since the CMI
2: Ability to import DX7 Sysex files --they come out almost 100% and mangle them with rest of Quantum objects
3: Ability to create user flash-able binary images --ive worked with Waldorf on this feature and they will adding it to their FAQ. I wanted the entire flash ram free of the samples and presets that came with it , in the end I kept the Don Solaris presets only and filled the rest of the 4GB flash with my own DX, CMI Fairlight , EMU II library—I can create a binary back up file and restore in 10 mins --amazing —I can wipe the flash of all presets and samples and start all over from scratch.

5 Likes

2300US is there an AUS markup for Waldorf stuff ?

You tell me?

Waldorf Quantam is AU$6,999 at Store DJ; or about US$4,891 as per xe.com

The Kyra is AU$3,499 for context

WoW Thats ridiculous.

I think it will be the same price as the Kyra.

If you want to empathise with your antipodean peers, feel free to read this thread. Recommend you grab a stiff drink prior to though. Could be a lot worse though, some countries in South America and Africa are far worse.

I would imagine so?

2 Likes