The day after Cenk goodbye

not if they hired Cenk for creating the patterns and do workshops on how to use them :joy:

I guess his unique style isnā€™t for everyone, his music has a certain quality (kind of quirky, twitchy pop) to it which is quite distinct, I think Cenk covers more styles, so more chance of hearing something you will like.

5 Likes

Holographic Hector!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard on the grapevine theyā€™ve got Akai Dan in as his replacement on a much better deal !

20 Likes

Bobeats?

Swedish homie

I really like (and will continue to like ) Cenkā€™s style and approach,
he is a really great musicianā€¦

I can quite easily imagine that, and Elektron doing just fine with someone elseā€¦
the ā€˜faceā€™ of the company is hardly the only thing that made Elektron success.
what about the designers?, the engineers? support? marketing? manufacturing?

Iā€™m sure Cenk as part of the team, influenced things, but he was not the lead (afaik)

there are plenty of talented musicians out there who would be thrilled at an opportunity to demostrate Elektron. sure , it might take a few stabs to get the right personā€¦ but theres no shortage of musicians out there.
will they be Cenk?, no, hopefully not, they will bring thier own style and artistry to the role.

this is what happens at companies, they change direction, they change prioritiesā€¦
and with that people move on (for some its easier for them to move than ā€˜adaptā€™).

on the other side, people (like Cenk) have thier own goals, they will ā€˜stagnateā€™ if they stay at the same place forever - we need to spread our wings.
( I cannot think of anything more boring than staying at one place for a very long time)

I doubt there is a dark side to this, its just an organisation and individual growing apart, completely natural.

of course, others have gone tooā€¦ so sure, Elektron are changing,
thats not news eitherā€¦ M:C , M:S and even the Digi series were signs that they see the market differently now.

14 Likes

Despite having been there a million time, I know by now that I wonā€™t be able to resist a good Akai Dan compilation, everā€¦
Nice boards of canada sort of thing ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck:

2 Likes

Not see the market differently ā€¦ Model series are finished products. They MIGHT see another machine or tiny bugfixes. All the other boxes are not ā€œdoneā€ ā€¦ Overbridge, Transfer and firmware updates take up lots of time for developing new stuff.

Thatā€™s why I think it needs to be Elektrons first priority to build ONE base OS and then being able to deliver updates for all of their boxes with one push (song mode for every box!). Unification of workflows and menu systems / features is king.

They tested it all on us and successfully created the desire to have them all because ā€œthis can do that better than thisā€. This is artificial but maybe itā€™s of course the limited ressources of the used microcontroller/chips.

So maybe the new CEO knows where to get more powerful chips for future boxes with huge RAM/storage and more CPU horsepower to not always operate the devices at their limits.

All eyes on MARIO

4 Likes

Devastating finger print smudges, borderline funerals for employees who have left the company, doomsday predictions about the horrors of software - I swear this is the most melodramatic forum I post on, and Iā€™m a member of multiple goth subreddits.

50 Likes

Whatā€™s the story with Cenk? Has he been fired?

Absolutely. I find it fascinating. I love this group and the information that is shared both about the gear and then also regarding the company itself. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Elektron is a special company with special products. I was all about Korg Electribes. They were an inexpensive way to get in. Elektrons were too expensive. Scary workflow. I was in my 40sā€¦ full time college student. Money was tight. Then M:S came out. I got hooked on the workflow. Now, Digitakt, Digitone, M:Sā€¦ looking at Analog Heatā€¦ and hoping that this organizational change is for the better.

2 Likes

you donā€™t send out a smudge yo

1 Like

Thatā€™s not what CEOs do.

5 Likes

A very good CEO knows every bit of the process and has a good network of professionals. I know this is not common ā€“ but Elektron is not a huge and super complex company. For me the CEO needs to be kind of the Scrum Master (or well Product Owner) for a company. So he defines the goals and checks in short increments the status of those and defines new priorities, helps the team with problems etc. pp. ā€“ this is how a smart company should be run by a CEO imho.

This is definitely not what a CEO does, except maybe in some really tiny (sub-10 people) companies.

3 Likes

Yes I know! I donā€™t have any economics background ā€“ just my 5 cents how it should beā€¦ those old business structures suck imho. Flat hierarchies and fast response to problems require that the CEO understands the fundamentals of the problems in the company and should have the power to address them with agility. Maybe thatā€™s more a CTO or what ever ā€“ just saying ā€¦ those men and women in charge need to be more down to earth is what I wanna say.

1 Like

I hope it didnt end like this.

2 Likes

I donā€™t get the doom and gloom, I guess. seems like the company is turning a corner, and maybe thatā€™s a good thing. so the people who complain about ā€œwhatā€™s with these budget products?ā€ and ā€œwhy donā€™t they have a new flagship machine?ā€ and ā€œwhat? just another new coat of paint release?ā€ are those the same ones worrying in here? maybe underlying all of this is the change you wantedā€¦

I remember watching the emergence of Cenk and his insane skills, and I was happy when he was rewarded with a job showcasing them. but I never bought a machine just because he made them sound awesome (which of course he did). I bought them because theyā€™re well-designed and engineered machines that do what they do brilliantly; theyā€™re great fun to use and you can get the results youā€™re after while enjoying doing it. if that changes, Iā€™ll have more of an issue with Elektron than I do when their main marketing face leaves.

that said, I do of course wish him well. Iā€™m sure with his talent heā€™ll have no problem landing somewhere great. and likely he already has something lined up.

18 Likes