The day after Cenk goodbye

you’ve made my day. thank you.

9 Likes

Let’s leave Bob eats out of this :pray: :joy:

7 Likes

I don’t think anyone bought one for that reason. But rather Cenk demonstrated to potential buyers all of the things you described, and in a very musical way that spanned multiple genres. I remember his first Rytm video really made me take a look at the Rytm. It gave me an instant sense of possibility that I could relate my own creative process to. And I didn’t have to look at a spec sheet or sift through the manual to see it (unlike grooveboxes from other companies).

Elektron lucked out with Cenk. Big time. No one else could have had such an impact in demonstrating the vast capabilities of these machines before the age of influencers. He was influencing just by doing what he does best, making music.

His AK+VolcaSample track is still a favorite electronic track of mine by anyone.

So I doubt he determined the buying decisions of anyone, but he certainly reeled in thousands of folks with just a few bars of music. And that attention lead them to the discovery we’ve all had: these tools are highly capable.

15 Likes

New CEO (Andreas) history is quite known, and I am very curious as to where, what approach/direction he will take. A lot of changes have been made over the last few years, Loss of key figures, the souls of the products, not so great product decisions, an ever-declining revenue stream, lack of sales. the Cycles/Samples never gained the momentum they expected. OT is 10 years old. even though it is an amazing machine today, an updated version or new model sharing the original DNA would’ve been appropriate 3-4 years ago. the Elektron Brand is a brand I personally love, handmade, Swedish heritage, made by people that love electronic music of all forms and loved the product and the product development process. - Andreas, you got a lot of fans out here, ensure the DNA remains intact! Yet we understand the road is tough and business is more competitive than ever… Innovate, surprise us! We are hungry for new ideas, new products, and ways to compose music! But remember the heritage! how the company came to what it is today :wink: Good Luck! Looking forward to hearing what’s next and good luck Cenk!

2 Likes

yeah I would agree with this. and he did an excellent job of it. I think I just come more from a place of not needing what he brought to the table. when I heard “analog drums, with samples, driven by an Elektron sequencer” my first thought wasn’t “hmmm… I need to hear what Cenk can do with this machine…” it was “take my money.”

1 Like

Im not sure Cenk is coming across as the good guy. He opened a lot of wallets that would have been closed for a niche product. I think a lot of people would see him as the devil. Only kidding ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have some links to his history, etc.? I would be interested to read them.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Off topic “day after Cenk”

Hector!! Hector was great! There was a sublime irony in his way of presenting Elektron machines. He gave a funny retro-dark-futuristic feeling to everything.

5 Likes

Maybe Cenk and Ess and Tatsuya will join forces

9 Likes

google Andreas Liffgarden

1 Like

I thought perhaps you were referring to something specific.

2 Likes

Can’t help but think this all could have been avoided if thru just had the original digitakt save pattern chains… For some reason it became something nobody could ever let go… Then the finally added midi sequencing note out to analog’s and we all knew in our heart of hearts we had been had… Then the frustrated started jumping ship…
Rookie move from the number chrunchers…

1 Like

So the company has been rotten since 2012 when the A4 was released without midi sequencing, we just didn’t know it for sure until recently? And the staff leaving in the last couple of years is because “the number crunchers” were forcing them to cripple things for all those years and they finally had enough? Sheesh, ok.

2 Likes

Seems like a semantic dispute.

The machines have a ton of capacity, regardless of the prowess of the presenter, but the UI being as cryptic as it has been in the past (much less so now) benefitted greatly from having someone as relatable* as Cenk or Ess (still enjoy revisiting the 1.22/ 1.30 rytm update vids) to bridge the gap to many.

EDIT: relatable* meaning simply demonstrating prowess can be off-putting if there isn’t a sense of humility. Ie. I never got the sense that either were demonstrating prowess to show off, but rather to eagerly share ideas among interested parties/ friends, etc.

4 Likes

If anything that‘s an indication of how attached many here feel to Elektron. Maybe not exactly reasonable, but quite understandable considering many forum members have been around since the company was a much smaller operation than they are today.

5 Likes

Cenk says a few of things in his goodbye that (for fans of Cenk anyway) do not look that great for Elektron:

1. That the company has, effectively, lost what made it great (“Elektron was fairly small back then, with this magical family feeling, innovating and pushing boundaries in this small, niche but extremely competent synth-market. I knew right there and then, this is where I belong… When I look back, oh boy, it really was a very different time and feeling”)

2. Most (if not all of the people) who Cenk looked up to and inspired him are no longer with the company

3. And, of course, that “things took a recent sharp turn and I decided to part ways.”

I got on board with Elektron with a Digitakt, and also own a Digitone. I can see how people who got on board with the MD, MnM, OT, AR and A4 could see the Digis as a strange drop-off in terms of ambition, and then seeing the Model series as an even greater turn away from innovation. I sort of disagree, as the Digitone (for sure), and arguably, the Model:Cycles do pretty innovative things. But then…those are both the children of Ess, who also has now gone.

I am sure we will all continue to love our Elektron boxes, and I am also very appreciative of the ongoing support Elektron provides in updating firmware. I also appreciate the difficulties around software development, and can only imagine how hard it has been to get Overbridge up and running, keep it up to date, and keep it as closely aligned with different DAWs and OSs. That stuff is no joke.

But Cenk leaving and with the tone that he has…it is for sure a bit worrying. It feels to me that he doesn’t see Elektron as really being an innovator, and that perhaps he has recently learned of some decision that simply was too much in this regard. I guess time will tell as we see what Elektron does moving forward…if they indeed stop really pushing boundaries…well, they had a hell of a run.

4 Likes

The two videos that really made me look at both the AR and AK, which were off my radar prior to viewing:

7 Likes

It’s the first time I see the Volca Sample meets Elektron Analog Keys, wow! First, that bass is really nice (warm and round). Second, Cenk is overskilled. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Really interested in what he means by sharp turn of events.

Even though, I wont start selling any of my :3lektron: gear because he left.
What he could squeeze out of most boxes was nothing short of amazing, but you could already feel how he felt about the Model series when given the chance to speak about it.

His demos on the M:S at Namm were pretty bland. On the other hand, newcomer demo artist Mario was far more enthusiastic and his artist take on the 2 Models was far more inspiring.

Fun fact, I bought a Digitakt when it came out without even knowing about this forum. Saw very few videos, kinda impulse bought it because I grew tired of squeezing always the same sounds from my Electribe 2.

But for sure when I first got familiar with Cenk playing the machines, I felt that I underused mine by a mile and that motivated me even more.

Only to say, Bring it on Elektron, it is on you to keep on amazing us and inspiring us.

If not, well, thanks a lot, what a great run, dont worry, I ll keep busy in the studio :slight_smile:

:gorilla: :elot: :raccoon:

3 Likes