The best Roland TB 303 clone?!

You have slides, octave up/down, notes, and timing controls. The slides are probably the most unique part of the sequencer on paper.
You have patterns and variations you can switch between and tracks that let you string patterns together.

The part that I think (IMO) makes it special is the horrible way you have to enter notes. You have to do it while the sequencer is stopped. You enter in a string of notes with/without slides etc (like silent step mode), then press play to see if you like it. Then you have to stop again to make edits. You can step through the notes manually while making edits though.

I think this leads to things you wouldn’t maybe do while it’s running.

It’s probably the slides in most peoples eyes.

I do think that having to stop and think about what you’re entering makes a difference too though.

4 Likes

Thank you. The slide function is available on many other synths though, isn’t it? (Pardon my ignorance: do slides roughly equal portamento/glide/legato?)

Because, from your description, the 303 sequencer doesn’t seem very different from the Bass Station 2 sequencer.

1 Like

Yes, basically. It’s really kind of a little package with how it all works together. Compared to many modern sequencers, it really isn’t anything crazy. Some people just love the workflow/sound combo. Probably because it plays and sounds like many classic tunes they know.

I’m no super fan. I like it for what it is. There are plenty here who could tell you why they love it so very much though I’m sure.

1 Like

From 40 seconds, a little manipulation and live result.
Surely already posted, for me a nice sequence to appreciate the thing.
I watch it regularly.

5 Likes

Gotta do random notes, slides, and accents. Trying to “make” something is zero fun, but discovering something cool on it…way more fun. Trust me. That’s how DJ Pierre did it.

2 Likes

I believe the accent is kind of unique also as if it is done in succession the capacitors in the accent circuit dont fully discharge between notes and build up. Not sure if this is really a sequencer feature or a feature of the synth but its usually pretty dang nice sounding with a few in a row.

4 Likes

I would say the envelope and how it behaves with the accents thats a big part of the “magic”.

1 Like

Yes the accent shortens the filter envelope decay, the decay knob has no affect on accented notes.

Ive seen some clones with “accent” out. But why dont they just have a cv out for the envelope. Would be cool to sequence my modular with the slides, env and accents. Like a poor/rich mans devilfish. haha.

The acidlab TB-303 mod had envelope out, it was pretty useful, I just realised I posted a clip of it back up in the thread.

By far the best 303 replica / clone, i’ve built few of them and they just sound Fantastic.
Also a really great project to understand under the hood mecanism of an analog synth.

1 Like

Can’t wait until I can get around to working on it :slight_smile:

It already has its own Bad Gear video

1 Like

Just got my TD-3-MO out with a more traditional jam. Sequenced with the Syntakt.
No complaints! :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

The MAM MB-33 is back in stock on some sites:

4 Likes

That thing looks and reads actually amazing, and just 129 Euros!?

Yes, it’s tiny and awesome.
Important to know that it has no CC controls, not even for cutoff. So you’re twiddling by hand.

The guy trying to sell one for ÂŁ750 on eBay is going to be mad!

5 Likes

I love mine! Manual control, yes, but very sweet sounding,

Not as mad as the guy who buys it for ÂŁ750 on Ebay. :sweat_smile:

1 Like