The best Roland TB 303 clone?!

Sounds more 303 than the “clones” we had in the late 90s early 2000s, but ehhh…

Found this on youtube today
Some examples from different clones/alternatives

3 Likes

TD-3-MO has CC for the Cutoff

I was surprised at how bad the TD3 MO sounded in that video from GwEmbassy, the sequencer sounded too staccato, unless it was the envelope mods making it sound like that, it lacked the fluidity of all the others shown I thought.

The eowave sounded nice as did the nubass, a different acid flavour. His x0xbox sounded closest to original, because he spent the time building it right.

1 Like

It’s a strange box to be honest, you can make it sound really good but you need to get to know it and understand the interactions between the new parameters, otherwise it can sound really really bad.

I do like it but somehow it ended up back in the box after a couple of weeks. I’d much rather use the TB-03 with batteries and full MIDI CC control.

I did make a couple of videos where I used all of the mods, they’re not the best (bit quiet), but I tried to show it in a more musical context.

6 Likes

Yeah I think I just don’t really like the sound of modded 303’s, I never heard a Devilfish sound that I preferred to original either. I did the acidlab mods to one of my 303’s years ago, it was a pretty cool set of mods but I ended up restoring it to stock, here is is:

4 Likes

Nice Intro :slight_smile:

It does sound good, but it’s a bit gnarly for my liking. I had the same thoughts with the MO when listening back to my videos. I think I too prefer the original sound.

This might be a dumb question but what is the classic setting for multi-trig on any clone? Is it on, off, slide or legato?

Ditto. I don’t like the sound of distortion on a 303 either. Even my delay pedal drives the signal way too much unless I use it as a send through the mixer. I’m a fan of the clean raw waves, and clean filter.

Quite chuffed with my Xoxbox. Finally got round to trimming the Rotary switch knob shafts down. (They were sitting a bit tall) Looks proper now.

9 Likes

Not sure if I understand your question, but with any synth, if you try to emulate a 303, use legato. The envelopes should not retrigger with overlapping notes, the pitch (portamento) should also be activated when playing legato

1 Like

Yeah I guess I mean you see a few options for multi-trig behavior with clones (like TD-3) and I was wondering which of those modes is either the same or most similar to the behavior of the original. Sounds like legato then!

The original has no options.
As said above, to emulate:
Portamento should be set to legato only.
Envelope retrig should be legato.

1 Like

Makes sense, thanks!

On a different note, I’ve been using the Donner B1 for a few weeks now and really enjoy it. The saturation sounds great and the added sequencer functions are solid.

1 Like

This site here is dedicated to TB303 clones HW and SW and compares and ranks them, might be worth a look :
https://www.acidvoice.com/index.htm

1 Like

Not the best but certainly badass would be the Twisted Electrons Acid 8. It seems like they weren’t going for recreation as much as they were going for something new. Bringing the 303 somewhere new and interesting and I think they nailed it, it sounds excellent it’s easy to program and very fun to perform with

1 Like

Is there a big difference between the mk2 and mk3? I love twisted elektrons!

I couldn’t say, I have the MK1 and I love it, it sounds so gnarly!

• denial
  • anger
  • bargaining
  • depression
    [ … i am here … ]
  • volca nuBass ?

not that i’m unhappy with my MB-33’s, but they don’t have MIDI control over parameters – which is highly desirable in live situation, since i’m a drummer and my hands are likely busy with that.

i know that raw nuBass sound is not that much 303-like – but as to my taste, an acid line without overdrive/distortion is a total waste of acid :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and what i can hear from various demos – nuBass with external pedals IS there.

always was skeptical about any Volcas, but seems like this is the only option that is analog and has both right size and right amount of MIDI control.

3 Likes

you lost me here :wink:

3 Likes