303 Machine w/ Elektron

I have a TD3. it’s cheap and it writes basslines with a punch of two buttons. you have to cycle thru a lot of bad patterns, but it comes up with patterns that are good, and if you know how to edit them, great.

3 Likes

There is a 303 templet for A4. A quick search in the forums should get you the results your looking for. It sounds really good and can be manipulated very easily with the A4. Maybe save some money too.

I don’t think you want or need a 303.

As others have said, the A4 is vastly more powerful than a 303 and can do bends and squelches and other more experimental sounds.

A SH-01A is probably a better choice for you if you go the boutique route. If you just want to spend about $200 on something different, then spend some time watching Craigslist or your local equivalent and buy something weird and cheap.

If you want cheap access to the 303 sound, the TD-3-MO is more fun to play with than the basic TD-3. The basic version gives you access to the 303’s horrible sequencer. That is essential if you really want to get into the zen of 303. If you want a broader palette, then the MO offers that.

Perhaps a rompler like the MC-101 is a better idea?

If you will have a A4 use the A4.
The sequencer of the TB303 is a pain to program.

303 sound can be made on the A4, and if you want to use 2 303 at the same time it’s possible :slight_smile:

I’d recommend TB-03 for the MIDI CC’s

The TD-3 sounds nicer though IMO.

I sold my MO as I preferred the stock 303 sound

If you’re sequencing from the Elektrons then the MB-33 Retro is very nice. I’ve heard they’re selling them again.

I really like the new T-8, sounds better than the TB-03 somehow, but wouldn’t recommend it for live shows. Too fiddly.

3 Likes

This thing looks amazing, though:

Care to explain your work for us mortals?

…given the fact that u got all three digi formats plus the a4 and ur sidenote that truu 303 flavour is no must, i hardly recommend, u try to generate all kinds of 303ish lines within the swedish way u already got in use…

follow some of the examples here how to get there, realize there’s no big rocket science behind a 303 sound and be happy to get it done without involving another piece of gear on top of all that…

if u still or anyway want THE real 303 flavour, the cheapest and most of all truu 303 sound comes with this mam mb33 tip u also already found here…
it does not talk any cc, has no internal sequencer BUT ALL THE REST that takes it to eye to eye and ear to ear level with the original for real like nothing else out there…

Besides that I agree with: “If you dont explicitly need the 303, do it with what you have”, the MB33 is an awesome little box!

The TD3 is easily one of the best value for money synths currently available, if you’re into 303’s.

I have owned the Roland TB-03 and the Cyclone Analogic Bass Bot TT-303 and have a TD-3 now. You pick it up for less than 100 € used and it sounds great. Run it through the input of one of your Elektrons and process it with the onboard FX. The distortion on the TD-3 is crap IMO, but it will sound lovely through a decent distortion pedal or through the Analog Heat.

The Syntakt is made to be paired with a 303 (even has DIN sync for the original TB 303 or the modern replica RE-303).

Bassboy

http://www.instagram.com/p/CDYc3ZlBei4/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY%3D

http://www.instagram.com/p/CDTujRQhC9C/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY%3D

You sure?

Edit: you’re right, never knew that

FWIW: A4 going far beyond what the 303 can do:

sounds like a fart box.

i’d go with roland or bassbot… whichever has midi cc (though weirdly the roland uses midi cc for slide from what i’ve read)…or that Doner recent acid box (unsure about the name, and i havent listened closely to the audio)… but it seems reasonably cheap.

behringer td3-mo does have midi cc for filter and note overlap for slides.

many synths do reasonable 303 but it ends up becoming work and slow… instead of just button mashing a sequence and twisting knobs.

or use abl3 or phosyon 2 samples… nicely rendered off quantized sequences and use the built in filter of whatever sampler you are using to do the filter sweeps , fx sends , reverse/stutter fx…

While I agree with others in this thread regarding using Elektrons to make acid sounds, there’s something about having a dedicated set of controls, and accent/slide behaviour that you don’t have to spend any time replicating.

TB-03 will always be my pick for 303 remake. I tried the TD-3 but I really don’t like the original 303 sequencer. Of course if you’re sequencing it externally that’s a non-issue, however the updated sequencer on the TB-03 is pretty fun/inspiring to use, especially since it can be easily modified during playback.

Slide is triggered from overlapping notes.

1 Like

Maybe I could do a video tut :wink:

3 Likes

Funny that I actually liked my Digitone for acid squelch more than the Mam MB-33 when I owned one. Digitone might not get that bark / wow type sound nailed 100% but it can acid with the best of them. I sold the Mam but I also kept my Roland TB-03, so there’s that. I think it sounds great in a mix.

1 Like

Not mine

1 Like

mine :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Making Acid Patches On Elektron Boxes in 5 Easy Steps:

1. Set amp envelope to NOTE with the shortest release possible without audible clicking
  2. Set filter envelope to A=0 H=0 and D to taste
  3. Make sure your oscillator or sample is set mono legato and set portamento to taste.
  4. Set the default trig length to something less than 1/16.
  5. P-lock parameters to taste – most importantly trig length, octave, and volume, which correspond to the 303 sequencer’s tie, transpose, and accent buttons.

From there the most important step is to write patterns that have trigs of different lengths and – at least to my unscientific ear – you can come up with something acid-y on whatever device you have in front of you. Obviously it you want that rubbery squelch you’ll need a 101,202,303 or any of the other devices inspired by those OG rolands, but you can get really good results with what you have.

1 Like