The best Roland TB 303 clone?!

I want a synth to make acid lines. I’m no acid snob but it should sound decent. I’d like a few more sequencer tricks than what the standard 303 offers and ideally a couple more synthesis options. Is the TT-303 my best option that won’t break the bank?

1 Like

i have the Bass Bot MK2 and the TD-3. either one is probably fine, though neither is 100% of the 303’s range. I find I can get more of the higher pitched “squelch” on TD-3, but it’s more of the harsh tone and not that smooth “Acid Trax” zipper feel. Bass Bot feels closer to a 303 all around but again within a certain middle range of tones, maybe 90% of a real 303.

1 Like

If you don’t mind the looks, the TB3 checks all your boxes. Has a much better sequencer, plenty of sounds, plenty of memory and FX.

awesome! i love this track so much.

if i had this little roland box as a kid … ooooommmmmggggg … @.@

1 Like

Can’t really go wrong with the TT, very good sequencer and tons of pattern memories, as well as nice extras like arp, lab and performance stuff.

IMHO it is closest to a TB-303, but has extra range on cutoff, envelope modulation and bass response.

2 Likes

I love my TT, but I would love an RE-303. But you would lose the excellent sequencer, although, I wonder if the Sonic Potions CPU would give the RE-303 a similar flexibility?

I bought a TD-3 just because they were so cheap and a mate asked me to make a tune for his label and they’re very into acid so it seemed like a good idea.
I probably will manage to finish the tune… but I don’t think I really like 303s all that much. It is not as inspiring as I thought it would be.

possibly user error though. I sort of skipped using the sequencer, so maybe that’s the problem.

1 Like

Give a chance to the 303’s sequencer: when you start to understand the concept it’s addictive. It’s an acid patterns production automatic machine! 303 is 40% the sound, 60% the sequencer IMO.

5 Likes

I’m keen on getting my hands on an M303 or x0x Heart eurorack module - if you know anyone that has one they’re looking to shift…

I just picked up an Erica Synths Bassline (the module) and it’s a very cool acid synth - not a 303 clone but an interesting spin on it.

2 Likes

Still interested in the desktop version, mainly cause the sequencer looks so great for jamming. Doesn’t sound very rolandy though it seems. But looks super fun

1 Like

No they definitely have their own character - the transistor based sub oscillator and the bbd detune are badass tho

2 Likes

One of my most memorable clubbing moments ever. DJ Pierre dropping this one in the late morning at Fuse…

2 Likes

… “Set up 707” by Edge of Motion is insane as well …

1 Like

Listen to some SE-02 videos. As mentioned upthread, it is Moogy rather than Roland flavored, but you can definitely make acid with it. And you have a plethora of additional synthesis options. The Minibrute 2S has an extremely nice sequencer and a resonant filter. Physically very large but will absolutely make acid. Both the SE-02 and Minibrute 2S are available on the used market if you look around.

Anything with a resonant filter and sequencer can make acid. The main questions are whether it makes sounds that you like and whether you enjoy the workflow.

I finally got the RE-303 case and kit on order! :slight_smile:

I emailed about cases first and Kumptronics said they had some in stock. Also told me about the RE-303 kits maybe being in stock soon.

So emailed about the kits and he emailed me back when they were in stock. I grabbed one of the 10 kits they had. They went out of stock again pretty quickly unfortunately.

Hopefully they arrive safely soon and I find time to do the build.

Edit: Hilariously right after hitting submit someone knocked on my door and delivered the kit :joy:

10 Likes

I had that prob too, was sequencing with the Octatrack and it was kinda uninspiring. The internal sequencer makes all the sounds pop and respond more. Like twice as good. The accent really responds and the liquidy nature is more responsive and rubbery.
Download the app on the behringer page for the computer. Makes sequencing it pretty easy. You can even edit the sequences while it is playing.

1 Like

I reckon this as well.
Ive got a X0xbox, if i sequence it from the octatrack its ok. If I use the X0xbox sequencer its brilliant

1 Like

TD-3-MO + Boss SD distortion pedal

A couple of questions for you folks:

1. anybody here who tried/owns the Acidlab clones? What’s your opinion on Bombass / Bassline 1 2 3 / M303 module?

2. I never owned or tried a 303 (neither the original nor the clones), but I’ve often read/heard that the sequencer plays a big part in the sound. What’s so special about the 303 sequencer?

I had a Bassline for a while, and it didn’t sound very much like a TB-303.