The best Roland TB 303 clone?!

The acidlab TB-303 mod had envelope out, it was pretty useful, I just realised I posted a clip of it back up in the thread.

By far the best 303 replica / clone, i’ve built few of them and they just sound Fantastic.
Also a really great project to understand under the hood mecanism of an analog synth.

1 Like

Can’t wait until I can get around to working on it :slight_smile:

It already has its own Bad Gear video

1 Like

Just got my TD-3-MO out with a more traditional jam. Sequenced with the Syntakt.
No complaints! :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

The MAM MB-33 is back in stock on some sites:

4 Likes

That thing looks and reads actually amazing, and just 129 Euros!?

Yes, it’s tiny and awesome.
Important to know that it has no CC controls, not even for cutoff. So you’re twiddling by hand.

The guy trying to sell one for £750 on eBay is going to be mad!

5 Likes

I love mine! Manual control, yes, but very sweet sounding,

Not as mad as the guy who buys it for £750 on Ebay. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You can get it circuit bent and it adds, among other things, a CV in to control the filter. It’s just great :slight_smile:

Have you adjusted the trimpots inside of the TT-303 mk2 to make it higher pitched/squelchier? It can get there.

1 Like

i’m not that bold or savvy with mods. i just got a Xoxbox instead

Nice, I sold my X0xb0x to move 8 years ago, but I loved the sound. It did do some ringing and hard resonant sounds that I can’t get on the TT.

On the TT, the trimpots are not mods, they are preinstalled and can be adjusted from the factory. You just have to open the case and turn some small knobs. (basically calibration knobs)

3 Likes

Got a TT303 v1 modded with extended resonance range, 3 distortions/overdrive and a switchable HPF loaned by my friend here. Loving it! Great sound.

2 Likes

Speaking of the sound…
I had an insight today to why we like the mid-range sound of a 303 so much.
With its many harmonics and melody jumping and sliding, it fulfils the role of a vocal or violin/fiddle line in many songs.

6 Likes

It does. I’ve been obsessed with that idea for years lol.
Consecutive accents in the 303 dont sound the same, bc each one rises the envelope amount higher and higher. This sounds like a cry/wah with a really vocal quality, like it’s complaining about something.

4 Likes

Btw, my favourite clon is the TD-3-MO. Yeah, it outranges the original 303, but it can sound like it quite easily, you just need to be a little more careful with the cutoff knob at the extreme values.
The sequencer is ACE, I’ve been using it to sequence all kind of synths, and all of them sound like real acid. Maybe not close to a 303 classic sound, but they all acquire some vocal quality to them with all the slides and accents and strange stuff that the 303 does.

2 Likes

Is there a description of these up somewhere, or is it pretty obvious where they are and what they’re for once you open it up?