Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Thanks for the detailed reply. Good to know all of this. Seems like it might not quite work for my needs. But it also looks like loads of fun, and it does do portamento, so…

In a couple of weeks I will have just about enough $ for a DT, DN, OP-Z or similar, something in that range, wondering what would be most inspiring and enjoyable… Ultimately I want more food for the OT, run through an H9. I just watched a Cuckoo live set with the OP-Z, and while it was inspiring, I got the feeling that the OP-Z might be a bit too focussed on one-shots for my tastes. Which is odd because I’m very drawn to the DT, I don’t know, just feels like despite its own one-shot-ness, it might have more scope for experimentation and sound design “off the grid”…

Well one thing that might be worth considering is to buy an OP-Z from a retailer with a 30day return policy, that would give you a chance to give it a pretty thorough test to see if it would work for you, then if not return it.

2 Likes

I agree, if it wasn’t for the fact that the sequencer is incredible, and the cool things like punch fx and tape, I’d be a bit disappointed with it. I think with a few small additions like more LFO destinations and shapes, and more sound engines it should be fine though. Perhaps they could also sneak in more synth parameters beyond P1 and P2 by holding shift or something?!

Assuming you can play samples polyphonically on the synth tracks that support it, it actually has more sample polyphony than the digitakt I think? (2+2+2+2+1+1+3+4)

1 Like

That combo is already taken.

What does that do?

It temporarily changes the selected parameter and snaps back when the button is released. It’s great for performance, e.g., filter sweep to build up tension with shift pressed and then bring back the full spectrum when releasing it. I like that feature a lot. Would love to see something similar on the Elektrons actually.

6 Likes

Alright. I honestly (and regrettably) wrote it off a bit upon ascertaining that the param counts per engine were as limited as they seem to be, but all this talk about the sequencer has got me frothing at the mouth a bit.

I’d love to hear more about this:

1 Like

I agree there could be more engines on board, but I’ve almost exclusively been randomizing the synth parameters and I’m getting a lot of mileage out of it! (track+rec).

it makes it feel bottomless.

2 Likes

Yeah, track + REC is cool, use it a lot too!

More synths and effects would be nice though…

2 Likes

Yea theres a lot to love about the opz I started using it as a companion to my op 1 and it’s grrat. Throw some digitone sounds over it and it’s all amazing.

I just feel that it’s still so new and now their other flagship I really want them to talk more about it’s future not a new module synth (though looks cool) and an adaptor for it. It’s sound can be great but needs like 4 more solid plugs. Mine freezes a lot when synced to computer and the midi overall can use a big update for dependability. It would also be cool if they released a synth utility like the drum one that just automatically formted synth samples for it.

Agree with almost all of this. It’s a really interesting device, but feels half baked. Ok that’s harsh, 3/4 baked. Sequencer is amazing, love the step components and punch in effects are fun. But the workflow for loading samples is not great. They need to build an app of their own to help people manage that stuff. Or just make it less proprietary and allow us to load up standard .wav files that don’t need to be tagged! Done. Not feeling the current synth engines. Some of them are ok I guess. Open them up or put an FM synth in there or something.

1 Like

Yea that’s my feeling.

But I gotta say I really underestimated how powerful and fun the step component, master and tape tracks were going to be. Their the aspects imparticalr that make it feel so unique and worth waiting to see how it grows. Sequencer is amazing. Also my desk is small and it fits anywhere no matter how I arrange other gear so that a big plus.

2 Likes

Its ridiculous smallness is very attractive for those of us who scrape out a few precious moments freedom from the daily grind to make some tunes in a tactile manner away from a screen.

And it is much more than that … the results can be as good as they need to be for ‘proper production’ if that is a thing anymore

5 Likes

This looks interesting, no sockets, just buttons! Or maybe its a set of $200 plugs you stick in the default no module holes to cover them up.

3 Likes

Take my money TE :heavy_check_mark:

Its a bagpipe module, blow into the mic whilst pressing the buttons for that classic highlands drone :joy:

8 Likes

A (mic) sampler, recorder, effect processor, would make namm19 a hit in my little world.

LOL @ the sonicstate review, Nick is having none of it, professional impartialness aside it seems evident that he doesn’t really get it, he understands its component parts but can’t see the whole concept, it comes across as a Dad trying to say something positive about his teenage sons punk band :joy:

12 Likes

Nick is a bit stuck in his ways, Gaz is a free spirit. Makes it entertaining for everybody

5 Likes