Teenage Engineering OP-Z

:joy: I’ve not watched it yet but that has piqued my interest! To be honest, I’m amazed Nick was in on the video - didn’t think he’d connect wth the OPZ!

1 Like

Nick would like it better with full size keys, aftertouch and of course PWM :wink:

BTW not knocking sonicstate or Nick, whose opinion I often find valuable, he is a lot more pragmatic than bonkers (in the best way) Gaz who I also like. Chalk’n’cheese.

7 Likes

That review was hilarious. The scorn on hi face the whole time. I love his genuine honesty though. It’s a tricky device to wrap your head around for sure. That module looks interesting. Buttons! Sampler?

1 Like

Maybe those buttons are the missing B sharp and F flat keys from the keyboard.

Or the digital bagpipes suggestion :laughing:

1 Like

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the sample rate of the OP-Z?

Hardware specs from TE state: 48kHz 24-bit dac

When uploading samples it only accepts 44.1kHz 16-bit and when bouncing the output files are 44.1kHz 16-bit.

I guess the conversion upsamples only for the final output stage? Seems a bit odd to me. I’d like to use 48kHz as the sample rate for samples/sounds to be imported rather than first doing SRC to import them only to then apparently have them converted back in the OP-Z.

I’m not that interested at all after seeing this sonicstate vid of the OP-z I feel like this thing is unfinished and full of weird restrictions/functions that do not work yet?

The sonicstate vid actually got me interested lol

3 Likes

Was looking for something mobile… Pulled the trigger, have no iOS device, hope this gets me somewhere…

3 Likes

Complete opposite for me. I really want to love it though!

Try it if in doubt if you have the cash to burn.

It looks complicated, it’s not. No need for a screen. Maybe a bit easier to start but muscle memory will kick in faster without.

If it’s not working out, trading or resell will be easy without much loss.

2 Likes

I’ve used a screen with mine once. More out of curiosity. Absolutely not needed 9/10 times though it can be handy for managing synth engine and sample packs.

3 Likes

I am still playing with the stock sounds :partying_face:

5 Likes

All I can say is that the lack of a screen is a feature. I already stare at screens all day. I didn’t get it at first, but the UI is cleverly designed, so that there are only a few things to memorize.

3 Likes

Same here, programming all day… also the reason I went DAWless… too much PC all day ;)… Very excited for the op-z to arrive…

1 Like

Is it possible to use it as a kind of wavetable synth with the sample synth engine? Can you set it to loop or something? The digitakt is great for this. Plus it would take hardly any sample space to store a few waveforms.

I very rarely use the screen. You’ll be good!

4 Likes

photo sequencing for example? but that also doesn’t work normal yet?

Thanks for the heads up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I finally tried adding my own samples today… drum sounds worked fine with the OP-1 Drum Utility but I couldn’t get the samples working on the melody tracks (5~8). I have seen some python/perl scripts online but I don’t feel those offer an easy workflow. Also saw a video of someone using an OP-1 to export samples, but I sold my OP-1 a long time ago.

I wish TE would release a proper tool to make and manage drum/synth samples for the OP-Z and/or include it in the iOS app (and Android app once that is available).

3 Likes

Pro Tip! If you load on sample that is under 6 seconds into the first slot of the drum utility and export it, it will work as a Synth Patch!

7 Likes