Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I can see what you mean but for subtle pad samples it sounds pretty rough. Maybe have it be an option? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah an option (perhaps selectable in the config files?) would be the best solution.

I guess in the meantime you could slightly filter it?

1 Like

I got quite a kick out of Nick’s looks of disgust in these videos :laughing:

4 Likes

Sounds really rough… I love old samplers, but this sounds terrible to me. I only work with samples on it, so an option to turn on interpolation in config files would be great! I hope they add the synth sampler engine from the OP-1, which sounds great and has start/end/loop points.

1 Like

My wife keeps asking me why I watch youtube videos with middle aged men talking about music equipment… :joy:

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coming soon

Does anyone here have experience with TE support?
My OP-Z arrived just before Christmas and when I got time to sit down with it the day after Boxing Day I noticed the first [Green] dial didn’t work, although it worked when using the app.
I contacted support and they immediately responded saying that it was strange behaviour and could I send them video of the fault and it working with the app.
Since then I’ve heard nothing, and it’s been over three weeks. Tried emailing a few times to see what’s up, tweeting them, dm on Instagram but not heard a thing back.

They’re notoriously bad. But I remember that they were hiring tech support personnel a while back, so hopefully they have picked up the slack.

1 Like

From what I’ve read on https://op-forums.com/ they take a relaxed attitude to customer support. That sounds like a software issue though since the dial obviously works if it can show up in the app. Weird.

Yeah I’ve been told they’re pretty shite.
I’ve lost faith in buying from them now tbh, and even though I enjoy the OP-Z I’d be tempted to return it in case anything went wrong again.
I did email them within the 14 days to see if anything had been sorted but as they didn’t reply and I’m now out of the return period what are my rights if any?

Have you tried a factory reset? Mine was acting a bit funny at first and a factory reset set it straight.

1 Like

I would document your correspondence with TE (including any provided support numbers, email addresses, etc.) and send it to your retailer and request a return/exchange.

There’s no reason to wait > 3 weeks to get a response when you have a major fault.

Yup, plus updated to the latest firmware.

@natrixgli I bought it direct from TE

In that case I’d cut them a little slack (sounds as though you don’t have much choice at this point), it’s leading up to a major industry trade show (NAMM) and they’ve got new products being released so I imagine their relatively small team is pretty occupied and their support emails are probably falling behind.

I experienced similar with Elektron when my Digitakt had to go in for service around their summer break last year, but eventually they got it sorted out.

Long shot but make sure all of your midi input/output and midi receive in and out are enabled in the midi configuration. I noticed that the wheels will stop working if you change some of those settings, but usually only in relationship to the app, not the device itself. Worth a check.

2 Likes

Will do, cheers mate :+1:

Just wondering about the portamento implementation. Want to be able to glide pitch with imported samples, played chromatically.

If I load an AIF file into the synth section, does portamento work there?

And bonus question: is there any way to do any kind of glide or portamento with imported drum samples?

Please bear with me, I haven’t used any TE products before. I’ve been on a mission to find a sampler/romper with sample import that can handle glide/portamento, and frustratingly the MPC Live and Digitakt can’t do it (with legato playing).

Any help appreciated.

@darenager

@darenager @AlvinGreen Just to continue our discussion from the “Coming soon” topic. I think that the OP-Z sound engine certainly leaves me wanting more. I oscillate between being surprised by the amazing sounds I make with it, and being annoyed with its sonic limitations. Then again, TE has a reputation for making major updates to their flagship products. I am just hoping the next major update comes with the arrival of NAMM. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yes for synth samples, unfortunately not for drum samples.

Yes same here, I think that the synth engines which sound good are fine, but there isn’t enough of them and I think they may have “painted themselves into a corner” by restricting the parameters to be identical functions for all of the synth parts (arp being the only exception, losing the LFO for arp)

Still, on the synth based Pocket Operators they squeezed a lot of mileage from just 2 parameters allowing quite a range of sounds, so hopefully the OP-Z will benefit from this idea too eventually.

2 Likes

Just to be clear the sample memory of the OP-Z is only about 24mb (currently) useable in total, so in that sense it should not be viewed in the same way as a sampler like DT or 404, synth samples are upto 6 sec approx 600k each, drum sample upto 12 seconds approx 1.2mb, so it is not even possible to fill all the available slots if your samples are of max length.

For example you have 10 drum kits @1.2mb = 12mb
20 synth samples @600k = 12mb

Each track has 10 slots, so thats 40 drum slots, 40 synth slots, if enough memory had been allocated for all slots to contain samples it would require 48mb for drums, 24mb for synth = 72mb

Now this isn’t to say that this won’t change in a future update, but that is how it is currently, also bear in mind that since the OP-Z acts like a removable drive it is very quick and easy to back up the entire machine, so provided your project doesn’t require more than 24mb of samples then you should be fine.

7 Likes