Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Yeah, without knowing their roadmap with the modules and presuming there will be more than one then it’s really difficult to be sure on this one.

With how I use mine, I don’t miss either CV or midi. I can hook up my Xkey via USBC and jam away using that. I’m not even sure I want to use my OPZ to control other bits of gear. It’s something I never really enjoyed all that much on the OT.

1 Like

I would also check out nanoloop 2 and mono… with gameboy hardware, they definitely give the pocket elektron vibe and a much smaller cost.

I guess what I mean is I’m finding it hard to think what other modules they could make, and a bit worried like those modular phones that this will be the only one they ever release. But since they didn’t just put the midi/cv in there from the start, probably there is a good reason for that and they are planning some really cool modules…

If they add extra audio engines/capabilities through a module I’d be so happy!

I hope there will be a sampler modul with audio inputs for recording and a SD card slot or a bigger storage.

2 Likes
  • DMX on mini jacks.

• 4x 2ch CV jacks

• 4x MIDI in (and/or) out, switchable

• Minijack microphone preamp

• Multitrack line inputs to use with a new audio input track (less likely but not impossible)

• Various combinations of the above that are different than the OpLab scheme

etc.

6 Likes

Echoing the others, but… brilliant work!

If you read you right, each track was all samples played on the OP-Z, so I have to ask - did you have to erase samples from the OP-Z and replace them with new ones for each new track, or does the OP-Z have enough memory to hold all the samples for all 6 tracks?

You get about 32mb for user content including bounces, iirc that leaves 24mb for samples, I am working on some sample packs for the OP-Z and synth samples 6 seconds take about 600k, drum samples about upto 1.2mb (12 seconds), but as mentioned before drum samples can be used for multisampled synth parts with upto about 0.5 second per key. All of the sounds in this clip are my own samples.

5 Likes

I am still suspecting the new OP-1 will be able to carry the same modules for expansion, and that would make a lot of sense.

2 Likes

Dude, bigtime. I used Nanoloop One for years before ever touching Elektron gear. Didn’t understand all the hype for Elektron p-locks, I thought it was a standard thing to be able to lock all your parameters per-step.

1 Like

I made a synthwave drum pack for the OP-Z (WAVs included too!), synthesised entirely on my Nord Modular G1. Here’s a demo track:

Here’s the sample pack:

Hope you guys enjoy it; it was a challenging sound design exercise!

3 Likes

I really wanna buy your Machinedrum sample pack for the op-z but I don’t understand how to load them on. Like do I need to delete the sounds I already have on my op-z? Is there an app to load them in?

Long Version

Short Version

4 Likes

Thank you!!

Welcome.

Having an Octratrack I like the feature of having for example 16 steps programmend and if I decide to make 48 steps the content of the 16 steps will be copied over.
I know I can extend the length in the OP-Z but that sort of spreads the already entered steps across the new length of 32 o4 longer…

Is there a way to mimic the Octatrack way and make a sequence longer?

Have not tested this, but you could maybe make a copy from the notes to a new pattern with the different step length?

How do your fingers feel after all the OP-Z usage? I’ve been pressing on the buttons a couple hours yesterday and today and my fingers feel a bit odd.

Or am I just pressing too viciously?

1 Like

I get some sort of aliasing high pitched whine using chromatic samples. Doesn’t happen on every key. Is this because I’m not loading up samples in A?

It’s due to the lack of interpolation when playing a sample back at different pitches. I actually like it and hope they don’t change it :stuck_out_tongue: Not enough samplers are made like that anymore; it’s what I liked about making music in old trackers.

2 Likes