Still no decent midi foot controller pedal for Octatrack in 2023?

Hi! I’m looking for a simple, compact midi (din) pedal to control a OT pickup machine. Just for looping on/off functions. This Behringer FCB-1010 thing is too crazy big. I don’t have a space in the rack for that. I’m in a search for compact two or three knob pedal. Can someone please recommend something ? I’m aware of Harley Benton MP-100 and Morningstar MC6, but those aren’t the only options ? Or is it ? Thanks

1 Like

if you haven’t searched here on the forum already, here are some related threads that might help:

8 Likes

Been using a Morningstar MC-6 for controlling pickup machines for a few years, it works perfectly. Only really scratching the surface of what it can do, really.

4 Likes

I went through a similar search recently, but found nothing simple and compact. Wound up with the Source Audio Soleman, but even that was too much for what I needed, so I sold it. Anyway, I found OT’s pickup machines a bit too finicky so gave up on the idea altogether…

1 Like

Nektar Pacer comes with a preset dedicated to controlling multiple pickup machines. Edit: not compact, sorry. Morningstar and maybe some of Disaster Audio’s offerings may be more suitable.

1 Like

I would look into whatever Ian Williams of Battles is using. he’s using two OT’s with a guitar and keys, and I think they’re running his looping and effects. I want to say it was a Boss ES-8 but I’m not sure. he also may have further Ableton integration going on…

This thread reminds me that I have one of these, which I bought for controlling the loop functions on my OT but I never got around to learning. It’s compact and I’m pretty sure it has presets for the OT… I’ll try to dig into it soon and post my feelings about it.

4 Likes

Interesting ! Even more compact :

No midi DIN out ?

2 Likes

It looks like it does, there are these sh*tty mini jack plugs on the back.
I just dislike these buttons, i’d much prefer buttons like on the boomerang looper. I always feel like it’s impossible to be precise with these one and that pressing one might trip the device all over while playing.

Not exactly compact, but an ancient Pod HDX500 can be made to control OT patterns, transport, and PUM’s.

OT is so flexible you’re better off asking “what part of it do I want to control, and how?”

Hard to say as he’s using Ableton as well, you never know what ge really triggers with the feet. Might just be fx pedals on/off.

I keep coming back and forth between the Mc6 mk2 and the Pirate Midi Bridge 6. Availability of both in Europe is an issue though, don’t really fancy paying import taxes and shipping…

Haven’t used this on the OT, but use it on my iPad and it works great. The 1/4 inch socket can be used as an expression pedal input or MIDI output (you’ll need the right trs to din adapter if you want to connect it directly). Also runs off a battery and is crazy cheap. Instructions are virtually non existent but there are some forum posts on the configuration options:

http://www.cuvave.com/productinfo/724103.html

1 Like

I had this same problem with my Digitakt and inadvertently discovered that I can use my RC-505 tabletop looper as the master clock for my Digitakt and can then send transport from the 505. I use a pair of FS-5U’s to control the 505 which in turn can be used to start/stop the Digitakt.

I also fiddled with my workflow and found that I can use my hands on the 505 the majority of the time. I create a blank track on the 505 (usually track #5), which allows me to start the Digitakt with a single touch or foot tap, even if there are no recorded loops on the 505.

In a different workflow I do the first DT pattern live so there’s no need for a remote start. I still have to change patterns but I arrange the piano / keyboard parts so that I can use my left hand to switch patterns while still rolling a harmony with the right hand.

Workflow changes can make the foot switch problem go away.

Yep just to point out that I use the Nektar Pacer with the OT and it’s pretty good :wink:
Cc, prgm chg, pedal and sup footswitch compatible. I put the slide on a pedal and for playing live with an instrument in my hands it’s great, it manages a transition.
Lots of additional possibilities, message chain, bridge between different configs or templates.
Midi and USB, easy to set up when you have the tree structure in mind.
I use it for the Kemper, for the ot, for the ipad etc etc.

2 Likes

I think my midi foot controller combo is more than decent. Pretty big though…:content:

3 Likes

The Morningstar stuff is great with the OT. I’v been using an MC6 since 2019 or 20 and it works very well.

1 Like

agreed, it’s hard to say what he’s doing exactly. and I don’t know if it’s changed since this article (given he added another OT since then) but at least a few years back he wasn’t really using many effects pedals; mainly just Ableton and OT.

I was looking into the Morningstar MC3 (it was hard to find in stock), but then stumbled on the Pirate MIDI page and the Bridge 4 was in stock, so I got it. I have to say I’m very happy with it as my OT foot controller. It’s super flexible, really easy to program and can take up to 4 expression pedals… Also: MIDI LFOs!!

I’ve used a friend’s Morningstar and I think it’s also a great choice for the OT, but I like the Pirate MIDI just slightly more. I can’t think of any features on the Morningstar that the Pirate lacks, but maybe I didn’t look close enough.

I’m mostly using it for sending MIDI from expression pedals (a lot of CC48 for scenes) and initiating sampling while playing guitar (controlling record buffers and occasionally pickup machine overdub stuff), cycling through active tracks, activating Cue to send audio through an external FX chain. There are other things I occasionally decide to do with my feet, but that’s the majority. I think all of this could also be done with the Morningstar, (except using MIDI LFOs).

In summary: I think both are excellent choices, at least for the way I use MIDI foot controllers with the OT.

2 Likes

Yep the Pirate Midi Bridge seems pretty cool although not so customer reactive than the Morningstar.
More features, cheaper but only on precommand.

Now i’m kind of wondering if the 4 is enough to control an OT or if the 6 realky adds something in terms of comfort.

1 Like