Midi pedal (yet again)

So I went trough all the older post (from way back 2014) and I think Disaster Area Designs DMC-4 Gen3 is the pedal that will fit my needs. It has a connection for an expression pedal and another for another pedal I can use for tap tempo, for instance.

Are there a lot of you using a midi pedal for the OT? What are the use case? I use pickup machine a lot after all (I just got my ot a month ago) and seems like a midi pedal could extend a lot of functionality with the OT. I’m also playing the violin recorded in the OT so I need some hands free system at one point or another.

But it seems like the midi pedal could do a lot more, like changing track, playing/stoping the tracks… maybe muting track also… but then I have my two hands to do a lot of that. Anyway, just curious how people are using a midi pedal, and yes I’ve been trough the youtube world and cuckoos demo and trough most of this forum on midi pedal, just want to see if things have change in 2021.

Couldn’t be happier with the Morningstar MC6. Took me a while to be willing/able to spend that much on a Midi pedal but it was well worth it. In fact it completely changed how I use the OT.

I’ve basically got it set up like one of the pickup machine examples in the manual, with two more switches to navigate between different tracks and one to cue/uncue the current track (but since I’ve moved cuing over to the Faderfox UC4 I’ll probably reprogram it to toggle the PUM gain parameter between 0 and -3 or so for the current track, to make it easy to switch between simple overdubbing vs letting the repeats fade out without having to have my hands free.

1 Like

Do you use extra expression pedal with this setup? I’m wondering about mapping an expression pedal to some of OT settings, like a filter or volume on a track.

I used to but I don’t anymore, I wasn’t using it enough to justify the floor space. It worked well, though.

I picked up a Nektar Pacer for experimentation with the OT but honestly haven’t explored enough to discuss findings. Worth looking into though.

Yeah I’ve seen a few of these bigger almost pedal board, with some with expression too, and I am not sure I would start with this, as I don’t have a lot of experience with the midi pedal. I’d probably start with a smaller pedal and then upgrade if it feels limited, but the Nektar Pacer seems awesome with the screen on top of the pedal to help organizing.

1 Like