SOPHIE's sound design (Digitone or Monomachine?)

Did somebody say a swarm of mosquitos on acid? Just the MnM here :wink:

Almost sounds like something that’d be in a Silent Hill game to me haha

12 Likes

spooky!

Fellow Nauts/Sophie fans might be interested to see that there’s a RYTM & an Octatrack on her desk.

7 Likes

Nice Screenshot. OT and Rytm, Novation SL61 mkiii, Korg Triton 76, Ableton Push 2, the rest i dont recognize.

3 Likes

Hi everybody! I was just wondering if anybody might be able to help me recreate that liquid like texture in SOPHIE - Hard at 1:17 on the Monomachine? Thanks in advance! :wink:

i think i’ve somewhat figured out how to get her sound using the digitone. i just wish it had more features like parameter slides and more flexible effects since the UX is so much better than the monomachine but the features are rather gimped.

(90% of the sounds in that are digitone)

48 Likes

sick

1 Like

Would you mind sharing some of your approach with us? it sounds beautiful beyond the intention to emulate Sophie

3 Likes

sounds great mate. not just the sounds but the arrangement of them too

2 Likes

in all honesty i dont really know what im doing, its mostly just playing around. so i’d say it’s mostly experimentation but with the intention of getting to a certain kind of sound and considering the properties of that sound.

there was some interview she gave where she talked about considering the physical properties of the “materials” you’re trying to emulate with synthesis. i think keeping that in mind has helped the most. theres some MIT textbook i’d recommend checking out (pretty sure it might be meant for foley artists but the ideas work the same way) that goes into this idea in more depth.

7 Likes

Great! Do you have a link to that text book?
Thanks!

1 Like

designing sounds andy farnell

6 Likes

A mosquito around me. No acid to give!
Anyway I think mosquito sound is not that anoying. It is more the fact it can bite that it’s stressful. Still the most dangerous animal to human animals.

I think I can reproduce that sound acoustically with an aspiring kiss sound, pitching it up after.
Try it!

And yes I found this sound totally annoying.
A lot of others sounds of Sophie seem definitely more interesting.

2 Likes

tiiiight! is this playing straight from the DN or is this something you arranged in a DAW?

arranged in the daw, not that flexible with hardware sequencers yet :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

that’s legit man. I don’t even know if that would be possible.

1 Like

Definitely possible to arrange with OT.
Not flexible! :smile:
Anyway, the most important is audio, and what talently did @krypt.
90% Digitone ? What is / are the other 10%?

1 Like
3 Likes

(I just realized somebody literally just posted a post about SOPHIE, so I feel kinda bad for posting this but I mean, posting is what the fourms are for right? :grimacing:)
~
I recently got a Mono Machine SFX60 for my birthday a few weeks back and was wondering if anyone could experiment with me to recreate that “elephant?” sound on the Mono from

https://soundcloud.com/haileyrosekensington/sophie-squeeze-live-day-for-night

I know she used the monomachine to make this track because on the live performance of this song I can see her playing with her mono, so we should be capable of remaking the sound haha. Thank you so much in advance everyone, I really really appreciate it<3 :cupid:

1 Like

Read up above–there’s a gentleman who got some really great sounds out of the Digitone (aka an FM synth).

I would experiment with the FM machines…I’ve tried that before and gotten some of her metallic sounds but the squeaky sounds are tricky. I’d play with exponential LFOs set to whatever the hell you want…Any of the FM parameters maybe. Any closed filter width. Pitches of the synth itself. Who knows.

I’d try it but I just had a pretty in depth MnM session and I’m burn out right now haha. Going to bed.

4 Likes