Sophie. rip

There’s an instrumental version of the tracks too floating on the web

I love the singing as it brings another perspective to her songs but her sound design skills shine on the instrumentals. For example I only realised there are clever and sweet sounding arps on Infatuation, which are buried with her vocals on the official track

1 Like

I don’t know music about SOPHIE but I remember being really into The Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides while doing a really tough job a few years ago. A great artist who I owe it to myself to explore in more depth.

1 Like

I didn’t hear about Sophie before this, it’s unfortunate this is sometimes the way you find out about artists like this. Like some others, not my particular taste, but u can instantly see the craft and ideas going on behind the material. I love seeing an artist with ideas and an agenda, it’s inspiring, I love that drive and conviction in people. You can really see that with Sophie.

5 Likes

Gutted. SOPHIE was a big talent and a true innovator with so much more still to do. A serious loss for electronic music. RIP.

And DJ Mehdi :disappointed:

4 Likes

Never heard of Sophie, so I took to YouTube for a listen and listened to Faceshop…

And it was exactly the type of music I’ve been trying to create as a vocalist going in to electronic music. I’ve never been able to fully imagine it but I almost instantly recognized that “this is it” this is what I’ve been trying create all these years, a slow progression towards it… looks like I had a vanguard all along, a northern star… dang, this sucks…

RIP.

Edit: there’s probably a lot for me to dive into and get inspired so please come with some tips

6 Likes

You may start here:

6 Likes

:pray:

32 Likes

I wasn’t too familiar with their work, but it’s always sad to lose a ground breaking talent and creative soul so young and suddenly. Massive love to her family, friends and all her fans. I’ll have to dig into some of the above tracks.

2 Likes

Nujabes as well :cry:

1 Like

Sophie with the monomachine is like Hendrix with his Strat, both masters of their instruments. Both gone too soon. Rest in peace.

9 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better. She surpassed even Autechre in terms of sound design on the Monomachine, imo.

8 Likes

Her beats were amazing.
Imagine what pop could have become.

1 Like

Just saw the sad news… First time I heard Sophie’s music I thought “This is a genius-level editing and arranging!” Still hold true. RIP. :cry:

1 Like

If anyone is looking for an intro to SOPHIE’s work:

5 Likes

Funny that Guardian has opened up a bit. I remember reading this review years back

2 stars!

5 Likes

Pfork gave Vroom Vroom a 4.5 :roll_eyes:

I think the Hendrix comparison is apt. One of the things that impressed me was her total control over the sounds: anyone can twiddle some knobs but in her hands every movement and alteration made sense and had a point.

4 Likes

I guess I am too old for her music or it is just not my thing at all. But of course I feel for the human and artistic loss. RIP

…yup…for real…

sophie was more influential to modern music production and beyonder gender future than most people might think…
and if this thread would’nt already exist, i would have opened it…

sophie was a genious in all terms possible…
if u dive deeper into this work, even if ur not much into modern pop of whatsoever, from a production point of view, electronic music production in particular, a truu gamechanger…

rest in peace…

2 Likes

You should always use “they” as opposed to “it”.

12 Likes

TBF, that was from a different reviewer (who I incidentally find myself disagreeing with a lot).

1 Like