Why people say Digitone are not good as Monomachine?

I have a MnM. And thank god I got one in a trade before the prices became unreasonable. I do not think it is worth more than I got it for…But, it is hella fun.
Although, it does not have a modern sequencer with trig conditions and scale per pattern. There are work arounds, but it isn’t a modern Elektron box. It’s younger brother- the Analog Four is very similar in it’s lay out, but it’s analogue and only 4 voices… Yet, again an amazing synth. As for the Digitone- That is a modern Elektron Box with stable OB (as far as I’ve heard) and a lot of sequencer functions the MnM doesn’t have. Also, if you are interested in FM synthesis, the MnM is a strange bedfellow. The FM on it is not very conducive to easy sound design. I don’t own a DN, but I’ve heard it’s much easier to get consistent results.
If the MnM were a decent price, I’d say go for it…But with these inflated prices, and the MnM being limited in se3quencing, I would suggest the DN, or even a A4 mk1, which is super powerful, but analogue. In the end, every box Elektron has made, there will be people on this forum praising it, because they are all well designed boxes with their own quirks and super powers.

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s any person that’s bought a $700 synth and were disappointed that they didn’t opt for a $2000 synth.

If the Digitone sounds good to you. Get it. There’s plenty of demos available enough to get its vibe.

Monomachine- powerful. I miss it, but it’s interface is frustrating after being spoiled by Elektron’s advancements(and said advancements not being in it)

5 Likes

I would not say one is better than the other but once you learn the monomachine I think it’s more versatile (in a different kind of way). You could use it as a chip tune synth, you could use it to make crazy idm, you could use it to make synth pop, you could make insane fm sounds that don’t sound like fm at all (you will never get these types of sounds with digitone), you can use as an fx processor, and an fx maker.

A lot of my favorite artists use/used the monomachine so I may be a bit biased (autechre, the knife, crystal castles, Sophie).

Monomachine has much better arp, it has slides which digitone does not have, and it has more fx (though they are kind of weird). Filters are better too imo but also have a weird implementation.

I don’t think you can really compare the two. Fm implementation is way different on both and monomachine has a lot more sound engines.

4 Likes

You could probably achieve the same thing by p-locking portamento and using a suitable portamento style. Probably…

For certain sounds sure but it will not get you many others.

this gentleman begs to differ

fantastic sound design in that track. makes me want a digitone lol

5 Likes

That’s great sound design. Maybe I should get a Digitone as well… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

There! That! I had a Mnm for seven years and as soon as the younger machines with better UI landed in my Homestudio, and also with better Sound, the Mnm needed to go. The Mnm is a great machine, but s/h prices are overprized. 700 would be fair, and the machines Sounds rather dusty and lofi in comparison. Digitone is totally different. Better sounding, much easier to use, Computer Integration, what are you waiting for?

2 Likes

Maybe some people say Digitone is no Monomachine but don’t necessarilt mean it as a knock on the Digitone. In a recent thread on the greatest gear of all time Digitone gets 20+ mentions out of 116 posts. I think that’s pretty impressive and actually a bit surprising. Maybe a bit of recency bias there but impressive nonetheless.

When the DN came out, I wasn’t very interested in it TBH. Somehow the sound just didn’t speak to me. But it has definitely grown on me, to the point I find it very likely I’ll be grabbing a s/h DN when I find a good deal.

The real question is not what people say. I guess that most people comparing the digitone and the mono don’t even own the two of them.

Those two sound very different, I don’t really understand a comparison.

The questions are:
What is your budget and what sound are you after ?

Listen to many demos, and chose the sound that you like ? :slight_smile:

Or buy a digitone and see if you like it ? If you buy a digitone second hand, you’ll have no problem selling at no loss :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some people keep asking for new versions of old classics, that’s why there’s this comparison. And some people thought the Digitone was the new Mnm, but it’s not. It’s an awesome synth on its own and I much prefer it to the Mnm.

1 Like

This. Totally different and not comparable.

Choose based on liking, both are great sounding (although the MnM needs more effort to make it sound great), but cover different grounds.

1 Like

Are the monomachines really selling for $2000 nowadays? I’ve been seeing them popping up around the same price as a new Digitone

That said, you should get the Digitone

you don‘t.
you can create a million different sounds with this synth

3 Likes

Also, if you’re going for MnM, be sure to grab @Sugamo’s much more reasonably priced box which includes worldwide postage in the price: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/fs-eu-ww-monomachine-sfx-60-mkii-1075-shipped-by-ems-ww/134375

3 Likes

If you have another MIDI sequencer of any kind, and you’re interested in FM, I’d say get a Yamaha FB-01 or TX81Z for cheap and read a manual. But yeah, also buy my Monomachine, hahah.

3 Likes

adding this, just in case :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

…do they…?..really…?

end of the day, the tone is nothing but another swedish instrument that does the trick…
truu is, the tone is the only synth, where it’s totally ok to start with picking some preset…
because, as always truu with swedish gadgets, it takes a minute to get to unknown other worldly sonic terretories…

willing to spend 2000 bux for a monomachine…?
well, then i’d say…pick a tone for now,…u won’t be dissapointed at all…promise…and then wait for the next big thing…some monomachine meets machinedrum groovebox/synth thing in the same formfactor as the other digis…pretty soonish to be announced…

results into two individual instruments in the overall footprint of a monomachine…totally uptodate with all the new tricks elektron added in the last years…

while that’s roundabout “only” 1400 bux all in all, after all…

Damn! Im broke atm!
I already own a mnm but if i had the money I’d definitely buy it without a second thought!!!

Haha, great one from 2014. :wink:
And that was the Beatstep without Pro.
I actually don’t miss the Mnm anymore since i got the Digitone Keys. I only wish they would have implemented the 6x Delays…

1 Like