Sophie. rip

I’d start with Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides which was a creative breakthrough.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks! I’m actually listening to that at the moment. So far I’m into it.

1 Like

Yeah I think that was a huge leap…like “oh we got a legit heavyweight on our hands here” which makes her passing all the more infuriating: so much more to give.

after PRODUCT then Vroom Vroom EP

5 Likes

This is so sad!
I was really looking forward to see her on stage!!

To me, listening to her sound was as ground breaking as Arca’s Xen. Few artists seemed to me so alien, defining a sound for the years to come…

How heartbreaking!

8 Likes

First time I heard the vroom vroom ep I played it from end to end and said « who the hell did this ? » then played it back to back.

It was pop but levels ahead of the rest. Rest well Sophie.

1 Like

RIP Sophie :broken_heart:

1 Like

It stated quite explicitly that the prior singles weren’t flukes and SOPHIE was here to take names.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m gutted. What a creative force in the world…

Rest in power.

1 Like

And the Philippe Zdar tragedy :cry:.

2 Likes

When I first heard Sophie’s music, I could immediately tell there was a level of genius and astounding creative range on display. Even if some tracks didn’t resonate with me as much as others or were more “challenging” listens, everything I heard was fresh and had that mark of an authentic, truly unique artist.

There is, of course, the personal grief of people who knew and cared about her as a person, and my heart goes out to them. But in a larger sense, this massive creative force in the world will be missed, and the planet just became less interesting.

It is heartbreaking that she died so young in the act of seeking beauty.

RIP Sophie. :cry:

6 Likes

It really did.

3 Likes

Incredibly tragic. Such strong individuality. That is an amazing moon though.

Just found out. Couldn’t be more gutted. RIP.

Edit:

Like some others here, SOPHIE was (is) a huge inspiration to me.

This was probably the best thing I saw and heard last year:

10 Likes

There’s an instrumental version of the tracks too floating on the web

I love the singing as it brings another perspective to her songs but her sound design skills shine on the instrumentals. For example I only realised there are clever and sweet sounding arps on Infatuation, which are buried with her vocals on the official track

1 Like

I don’t know music about SOPHIE but I remember being really into The Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides while doing a really tough job a few years ago. A great artist who I owe it to myself to explore in more depth.

1 Like

I didn’t hear about Sophie before this, it’s unfortunate this is sometimes the way you find out about artists like this. Like some others, not my particular taste, but u can instantly see the craft and ideas going on behind the material. I love seeing an artist with ideas and an agenda, it’s inspiring, I love that drive and conviction in people. You can really see that with Sophie.

5 Likes

Gutted. SOPHIE was a big talent and a true innovator with so much more still to do. A serious loss for electronic music. RIP.

And DJ Mehdi :disappointed:

4 Likes

Never heard of Sophie, so I took to YouTube for a listen and listened to Faceshop…

And it was exactly the type of music I’ve been trying to create as a vocalist going in to electronic music. I’ve never been able to fully imagine it but I almost instantly recognized that “this is it” this is what I’ve been trying create all these years, a slow progression towards it… looks like I had a vanguard all along, a northern star… dang, this sucks…

RIP.

Edit: there’s probably a lot for me to dive into and get inspired so please come with some tips

6 Likes

You may start here:

6 Likes

:pray:

32 Likes