Sophie. rip

can’t wait to punch my steering wheel to this when the weather gets better. the riffs in this track get me so fucking pumped…

huge RIP

7 Likes

In Athens of all places. Tragic and poetic and devastating.

I’m so sad. This is Dilla all over again. It’s just not fair that people with their power are taken from us.

6 Likes

This is really really sad. I hope her music and creativity long outlive her mortal coil, she is worthy of remembrance and celebration.

2 Likes

A beautiful moon too.

14 Likes

OMG that was the moon the night she died? Amazing.

6 Likes

Yeah. A photographer from Athens posted this at the beginning of the night over there.

6 Likes

No!!! This is horrible news.

1 Like

Very much.

1 Like

Oh man, this one stings. I only got into her about a year and a half ago, but she has been super influential to me.

those claps at 2:14 :heart:

1 Like

Devastated :’(

1 Like

awful news. wasn’t really a fan of her music, but it’s just awful passing away so young, and when just out trying to enjoy something beautiful, when the world has very little of that right now.

sadly, it reminds me of the death of Gerhardt “Jerry” Fuchs of Holy Ghost/Juan MacLean/LCD Soundsystem. both immense talents, falling tragically to their deaths.

4 Likes

Such a sad loss. Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides was one of the albums of 2018 for me.

4 Likes

Just read up on that, terrible.

bought a Monomachine because of her. Truly one of the most influential musician of our time. Rest in peace.

4 Likes

This one really hurts. I think the first time I heard her was on an old Penryn Space Agency show about the time that PRODUCT came out. I found a lot of comfort in her music as I discovered her around the time that a friend passed way too soon and whilst I was blown away by her sound design, I found the catchy elements of her music irresistible. When I was at uni I always used to listen to JUST LIKE WE NEVER SAID GOODBYE on repeat on the way back from my mates house at about 4am after getting high and it was perfect every single time. That was before I was aware of Elektron. When I found out about her use of the Monomachine a couple years later, it all made sense. RIP to a true artist and icon.

2 Likes

Yeah that one was was horrible. It’s like one of those nightmare phobias played out for real.

Damn! Just last night a YouTube video popped up about hyperpop and it made me think “I got to check out Sophie”. Really sad to read about her passing this morning. I’m beginning to check out her music now. Any recommendations?

1 Like

I’d start with Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides which was a creative breakthrough.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks! I’m actually listening to that at the moment. So far I’m into it.

1 Like