Sophie. rip

Sophie with the monomachine is like Hendrix with his Strat, both masters of their instruments. Both gone too soon. Rest in peace.

9 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better. She surpassed even Autechre in terms of sound design on the Monomachine, imo.

8 Likes

Her beats were amazing.
Imagine what pop could have become.

1 Like

Just saw the sad news… First time I heard Sophie’s music I thought “This is a genius-level editing and arranging!” Still hold true. RIP. :cry:

1 Like

If anyone is looking for an intro to SOPHIE’s work:

5 Likes

Funny that Guardian has opened up a bit. I remember reading this review years back

2 stars!

5 Likes

Pfork gave Vroom Vroom a 4.5 :roll_eyes:

I think the Hendrix comparison is apt. One of the things that impressed me was her total control over the sounds: anyone can twiddle some knobs but in her hands every movement and alteration made sense and had a point.

4 Likes

I guess I am too old for her music or it is just not my thing at all. But of course I feel for the human and artistic loss. RIP

…yup…for real…

sophie was more influential to modern music production and beyonder gender future than most people might think…
and if this thread would’nt already exist, i would have opened it…

sophie was a genious in all terms possible…
if u dive deeper into this work, even if ur not much into modern pop of whatsoever, from a production point of view, electronic music production in particular, a truu gamechanger…

rest in peace…

2 Likes

You should always use “they” as opposed to “it”.

12 Likes

TBF, that was from a different reviewer (who I incidentally find myself disagreeing with a lot).

1 Like

If you’re unsure about what pronoun is preferred, you can also limit yourself to only using the person’s name instead.

FWIW, according to Pitchfork, SOPHIE “preferred not to use gendered or nonbinary pronouns, according to one representative.”

7 Likes

I have a feeling it’s nowhere even close within your authority to say what goes for gender definitions.

I’ll leave it there cause I don’t want this thread turning into another dumb debacle.

9 Likes

…once we all live in a truu beyond gender time, we won’t need gender definitions anymore…
that’s the whole point about it…

personally, i can’t wait to get there…and i can hardly think of sophie would’nt agree on this…

but since we’re not THERE yet, i can assure u, i totally agree with u…

seems well covered there yesterday fwiw …

5 Likes

This sucks. She did some crazy things with the monomachine. So young too. Rest in peace. :frowning:

absolutely devastated :frowning:

Sidestepping the …post you were responding to, according to friends of mine who were close to SOPHIE, she preferred She/Her pronouns. The press release on her death was crafted to not mention pronouns to try to avoid rewriting SOPHIE’s legacy as something devoid from a commentary on gender and gender expression.

2 Likes

…ah…thanx…was checking on it and felt really disturbed about not finding anything about it…

1 Like

That’s Alexis Petridis though, who’s your typical contrarian attention-seeking music critic. He can safely be ignored.

2 Likes