Remaking Ponyboy by Sophie with Monomachine

Hey folks! Just borrowed a real Monomachine for a couple of weeks and being a fan of Sophie first of all, of course, I tried to get some of her signature sounds from this silver box. So here’s the result

14 Likes

I’m not super familiar with Sophie, but love my MnM. Great sound design. Sounds like you used the beatbox with a lot of very short delay (a lot mean feedback)…And loads of distortion. Am I right?
Anyways, great sound design.

Thank you! You are talking about that kick+bass sound, right?

It actually takes 3 tracks
1: Just a SID machine with Triangle wave and envelopes on Pitch and on Filter Cutoff
2: Stereo Noise
3: Through Machine with a lot of distortion
“1” goes to “3” and to the main out. “2” goes only to “3”. “3” goes to output. As a result we have a clean kick track and distorted kick+noise track

8 Likes

Remarkable!
Thanks for sharing your tricks :slight_smile:
Would you go up to sharing the sysex?
I’d love to spend time understanding how you did this!

Very cool to put the raw version. Makes it easier to comprehend what comes from your skills in sound designing on Mm, and what comes from your skills in producing :tongue:

I’m extremely impressed!
Inspiring!
And humbling.

Thanks a lot!

Oh, I planned to get .syx out of the MNM, but did not have time to figure out how to do it correctly and already returned the synth to the owner from whom I borrowed it. This old elektron’s snapshot/kit structure is quite confusing for me as a user of the Digi family :new_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

You bet it does ^^
I’m stoked to learn you had just discovered the MM!
:dizzy_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I was talking about the drum sounds for tthe distorted drums, but was talking about the metallic synth sound when I referred to the short delay with long feedback. I can hear retig’s in there. Maybe a bit of reverb? I haven’t found that metallic resonant sound on the MnM yet.

2 Likes

Super cool remake!

1 Like

Sounds like fm and arp with short trigs and mute trigs

2 Likes

Sounds great, unbelievable you were able to do this in what sounds like such a short time!

1 Like

Hi, sorry just seen this thread. Thank you again.

Oh, ok! That was a dynamic fm machine. It is pretty easy to make an inharmonic metallic tone with it. Distortion also helps. And delay with the shortest time and feedback to your taste to make it more metallic and flangy

1 Like

Oh, okay…I always forget about the FM machines for some reason…Yeah was thinking the short delay time. Thanx. Great to hear any thoughts on MnM sound design.

1 Like

As for me, MNM turned out to be not as difficult in terms of synthesis as I expected tbh. The most difficult thing about this machine is the structure. For example I think synthesis in Digitone is less obvious, but this is expected from FM based engine

1 Like

You should definitely get one for yourself.

Indeed, the structure is a bit dated. On MM you can’t save individual Sound patches like you can on Digitone or the Analog series…
Snapshot is the same as a Project, pretty straightforward when you name it this way.
Kits are separate from Patterns so that you can use the same sounds on different patterns, nothing too fancy in this (but I understand that coming from the Digi series it can feel a bit weird).

Synthesis on MM is comprehensive once you spend the time, but needs a lot of trial/error to reach your sound IMO.

You definitely made me feel like I should spend more time on mine, at least ^^

1 Like

I think the MnM is super simple, especially coming from the OT. I can get a sweetspot sound pretty quick with my own knowledge of synthesis. FM on it confuses the hell out of me, but yeah. That’s about any FM machine. Should’ve thought FM for metallic sounds, but using rtrg with the Bbox machines can do similar things.

Definitely, so we can get the sysex :rofl: Nah JK, I want more talk about the MnM here.
Maybe in 3 years when the new 20 year anniversary black face plate comes out.

4 Likes