Slicing samples using midi?

Yah, you can actually do the same with Overbridge and Ableton Simpler, it‘s fun, but it would be even more fun to do it on the DT :blush:

1 Like

FWIW, I’ve tried sending the midi commands via Pure Data. If I send the [noteout] on the same clock pulse as the cc20; first, the note out plays at the previous start point and, second, the start point changes.

For example, if the previous start point was 20 and I send a [noteout] and a cc20 for a new start point of 30, the note first plays at start point 20 and then changes to start point 30. The next [noteout] plays at start point 30. The DT must be programmed to interpret the midi commands this way.

Sending the cc20 50-100ms before the [noteout] plays the note at the new start point.

3 Likes

Yeah, grit, who did the Chuck DUY for the rk002 cable, also got to that conclusion… Sadly, that makes the DUY useless for the DT.

1 Like

YO GUYZ, I think I made a small breakthrough on this, the release note for the newly released firmware update was mentioning that now we were able to control the VAL setting of the MIDI track Filter pages from external gear. I had this idea a while back but I couldn’t get this feature to work so gave up. I just tried it again with the new update and it works almost as expected! Anyway here is the idea :

If you’ve been following this thread, you might remember that the issue with “slicing sample with the MIDI loopback” was that the Digitakt will only send a CC message if its value is changing. So if you set several MIDI track with different CC values to get different Start Point from your audio track, it won’t work, the Digitakt won’t send the data at each trigs (but only when you start tweaking the CC values manually).

My idea was to get a LFO from another MIDI track to rapidly change the CC value to force the Digitakt to send the value again, and it works! For example, when I hit the MIDI A trig key, it triggers a very quick LFO that will make the CC value from the MIDI B change, the value is sent and received thanks to the MIDI loopback and ultimately changes the Start Point setting of my audio track. You can repeat this process up to 4 times to get 4 different slices from only 1 audio track! That’s not a lot but you could imagine using 2 audio tracks to get 8 slices, etc…

THERE IS A MAJOR PROBLEM THO, aha, the Start Point will only change if you press the key twice. The thing is, the note data is being sent before the LFO start moving (even with the Speed set to max) so when the audio track gets triggered, the Start Point is still on the last value… This is a normal behaviour, @Electromatic mentioned it a few post above… At the moment I don’t know how to avoid this but hey, I felt like this was some really good progress and worth sharing! Maybe someone will have an idea to make this work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow awesome you figured this out! I will try later tonight!

I havent read the whole thread but I want to keep my thoughts to you.
Within Ableton you are able to trigger clips in the session mode via midi keyboard.
So make one note legato clips with automation data of the start point. And then voila you might be able to trigger multi sliced stuff. You have to trigger the root note in every clip.

I sold my digitakt so I couldnt try to get this working. But maybe it is working for you?

Hello, I’m interested in this feature. I bought RK002 cable and I will try to work on it too. the CC setting after Note is very bad. Maybe some latency is acceptable to make things work.

Hmm does not work for me, could you explain the thing with the extra LFO?

Well I had a LFO on one MIDI track that was quickly changing the CC value of another track. I remember using the Triangle LFO in Half Mode, not sure about the Depth though, but it was just enough so that the CC value would go 1 step up and then back down.

What result do you get?

Yo…I know this thread is pretty old, but have any of you progressed with this workaround?

1 Like

Haha not me. Thank you for bringing this topic up again, I forgot all about it.

The trig+yes to preview a sample is such an amazing update that chopping samples that way has become a second nature to me. Actually playing slices live over your beat would still be awesome, but I guess this is a limitation we will have to live with… :wink:

3 Likes

Hello, I didn’t read the whole thread, so excuse me if it already answered.

I wanted the same thing when I just got my DT. I bought a MPD232 pad controller and a Retrokit RK002 smart midi cable.

I programmed the cable to send a midi CC start point (don’t remember which value) and THEN the NOTE ON midi message on each notes (with a learning mode to prepare the chop). So, in theory the start point should change depending which pads I press on the MPD.
I monitored the midi messages and everything worked as expected… except this didn’t work on the DT.
The fact is the DT receive the midi CC and the note ON in same “clock tick”, and process it internally to play the NOTE ON first, then change the CC. I sucess to make the CC change first but you have to make a pause of 100 or so miliseconds between midi CC and note ON. This add lot of latency.
Without this latency, it worked but you play the previous chop at each note, very disapointing.

Finally, I stopped this project and I realised I tried to use a knife to open a door. The DT is not an MPC or an SP404. The DT is the DT. The workflow is differents and I started to spend time to find tricks inside the DT to make my own workflow.
Now I love the TRIG+YES chopping and I’m sure if I got an MPC I will miss this features :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is an old thread, so I’m wondering if this was solved in later firmware releases? In particular, I’m interested in using an external MIDI sequencer (Squarp Pyramid) to sequence the Digitakt - I want Track 1 to be the Amen Break and get the Pyramid to change the Sample-Lock on different steps… is this possible yet?

Nop, still not possible.

1 Like

Damn. That sucks then :frowning:

I’ve got it working on the 1010 Blackbox, I just can’t get pitch change on slices working yet, and the envelope and panning isn’t assignable via MIDI. Damn… nothing’s perfect I guess.

May I suggest you the Octatrack ?

2 Likes

Oh? So there’s no issue with doing what I want on the Octatrack? I’m assuming there’s MIDI CC to affect FX from an external controller (and it works lol) that can target individual tracks/slices? Thanks

You can’t apply FX for and individual slice. But you can trigger individual slice and midi CC FX on that track. Also, you have a lot of flexibility with live resampling, the limit is your imagination.
I think you can do what you want on the OT, but I’m not an expert so maybe @sezare56 can confirm.

2 Likes

As a proof of concept this is possible with Ableton and the Reason Rack Plugin (and Reason alone). To make it work I am using a short delay on the Gate signal and using a device to change the key to a cv value that is sent to sample start. The note vale is static so the pitch doesn’t change. I have been using a Key to Octave function which gives me 12 slices across an octave - I am guessing the key to cv could be tweaked to get whatever resolution you want.

So, if you can introduce a delay on the gate signal (maybe bloka or Bome can do this??) you might be in business.

3 Likes

Digitakt have start/end points but AFAIK it can’t be used as controlled slices with external midi (too late changes). If your loop is separated in several samples slots, it should be possible. 128 slots max per project.

With Octatrack, slice control + 28 other parameters by CC (including pan / pitch)
Pitch is limited to +/- 1 octave, but the Rate parameter can add 6 octaves below.
A workaround to get 2 octaves up is to resample 1 octave up.

Slices controlled by a Taktile 49, with synced arp (OT clock).

2 Likes