Slicing samples using midi?

Excellent, thanks for that nice hack!

Thanks for that. Yeah, pan and pitch via CC seems like a missed opportunity with the Digitakt :frowning:

Thanks for the demo too. That’s a sweet machine

No worries, I will add that I am using midi to control the Digitakt , not Overbridge.

Accurate precision of start points, no latency ?
I didn’t experience satisfying control of start values with midi…

I repeat, you can’t use midi to change start point AND trigger the sample at the same time.
If 2 midi message come in same time or very short delay, they will be proceed first triggering the sample, then modify the CC. So you will change the start point for the next trigger.
The only way is to wait the next clock tick to trigger the sample, but you artificially add a delay that is not convenient to play with.

2 Likes

Accuracy depended on the amount of delay applied to the gate signal. There was a threshold point in which the trigger worked as expected or triggered the previous slice region once more. I was using a cv device that delayed in cv samples (64/sec I think) - the workable delay was around 20 cv samples iirc. Latency didn’t feel like it was a major issue. I will have more of a play around and report back…

Did you play with a keyboard?
Above 10 ms it can be annoying.
I don’t know what 20 cv means.

And why are you talking about cv gate?
Midi works with notes on and notes off…

I’ll just quote myself here.

2 Likes

Octatrack also have this late interpretation problem with CC Start control. Solved with 1.40 OS with midi control of slice mode.

Did you play with a keyboard?
Ableton Push

Above 10 ms it can be annoying.
Agreed.

I don’t know what 20 cv means.
CV rate, not audio rate - > resolution . I am using this RE plugin to delay the gate - Later | Shop | Reason Studios

And why are you talking about cv gate?
Midi works with notes on and notes off…

Ummm? Midi gate (on/off scaled by velocity) and note (value) can be seperate cv inputs. Meaning it is possible to seperate the 2 and control independently.

Having played around some more I concur with previous observations regarding issues with delay and latency. That said, there is some creative possibilities that may be rewarding…

1 Like

Sorry, but midi still has nothing to do with cv.
Midi is a protocol for digital communication, cv/gate is analog voltage.

The fact that you can convert one into the other is beside the point.

Not in Reason. Which defies logic I know.

1 Like

Those patch cables in reason are just internal and very likely just midi in the background, but digital anyway.

No such thing as cv in digital.

But I get your point, you can patch and apparently scale them like they were analog.

Haha I forgot all about this topic… It’s a shame it’s still not possible without any external help, but it’s great you got it to work!

I like the fact people (we) can be so passionate about a machine that we think of weird and even impossible workarounds in an attempt to make it even better :joy:

1 Like

Doesn’t work without huge latency.

1 Like