RYTM Midi setup with Ableton

Hi this is my first post and very new to the Elektron world , does anyone use ableton to sequence the RYTM been trying myself and have setup all the tracks with external instruments and have the sounds coming thru on each channel . the problem is when I open a midi clip and put some notes on and play it I don’t have any sounds coming thru , does anyone use Ableton to sequence and how do you have it set up .

Anyone any ideas ?

Hey, how’s it going! Unfortunately I don’t have experience using ableton to sequence the AR, but what I would imagine it is is something to do with the midi channels. For instance, when you go into midi config and then midi channels you can see that each instrument is mapped to its own midi channel. So what I would imagine you would have to do is set up a midi channel for each… I.e one for bass and one for snare… It does seam like a lot of work, maybe there is an easier way. Also, the Rytm only responds to four octaves so the notes would have to be in the correct range to trigger it. Sorry I cant be of more help on this one!
Cheers
Conor

Here is what i have figured out so far:

Make the proper Preference settings to get midi going into your AR.

Create a MIDI track and make your MIDI Out to be the AR

You can play all tracks in notes C-2 to b-2 in all midi channels.

On higher notes you are playing the Chromatic mode of the track of the channel selected in live.

One more thing, OS v1.02B has a bug with the MIDI implementation and only track #1 is working correctly, there is a fix coming for that!! more info in http://www.elektronauts.com/t/1-02b/6583/55496

1 Like

Hi,
it took me a bit to figure this out and the thread was alreay open, so here we go…

Do you know this Rytm Mega Tutorial by Cuckoo where (towards the end) he shows he can record performance midi from the AR into Logic?

I didn’t find a similarly easy way to do it in Ableton, so I tried my best at finding a way around the problem.

It can be done (see next post)…

but still work in progress on things such as isolating the scene midi, and I haven’t tried yet changing patterns (Ch.16 in my setup).

If you know other blogs where this is explained please share a link, there’s always a better way of doing something. Otherwise what I managed to put together is the following. I hope it may help and let me know if you notice any bug, test this method on other Elektron machines, or else… just trying to learn a bit more midi here :slight_smile:

Analog Rytm MIDI setup in Ableton 9.

Set up midi channels containing an external instrument as follows:
(copy to text editor for better readibility, it’s kind of a table)

Channel : NOTE/SCENE MUTE/PARAM (12-channel group) FX TRACK PERF (optional)
MIDI from: All Ins ‘Elektron…’ Ch. 1 - 12 ‘Elektron…’ Ch. 13 ‘Elektron…’ Ch. 15
Monitor: Auto Auto Auto Auto

Ext. Instr. MIDI to: ‘Elektron…’
Channel : 14 1 - 12 13 15
Audio from: 1/2 No Input No Input No Input
OR
Audio from: No Input Inputs 1 - 12 No Input No Input

Channels description:
NOTE/SCENE records SCENE MODE automation (and manual TRACK TRIGS if port config/output channel = AUTO CH)
MUTE/PARAM record MUTE trigs, SOLO trigs, parameter changes (on TRACKS 1-12).
FX TRACK records parameter changes on FX TRACK.
PERF records PERF MODE automation.

Analo Rytm MIDI setup for recording live performance into Ableton.

SYNC:
clock receive Y
clock send N
transport receive Y
transport send N
prog ch receive Y/N
prog ch send Y/N

PORT CONFIG:
turbo speed N
out port func MIDI
thru port func MIDI
input from USB
output to USB
output ch AUTO CH or TRK CH >> Read *
param output CC
encoder dest INT+EXT
pad dest INT+EXT
pressure dest INT+EXT
mute dest INT+EXT
receive notes Y/N
receive CC Y (when playing back), N (when recording)

CHANNELS:
track 1-12 Ch 1-12
track fx Ch 13
perf Ch Ch 15
auto Ch Ch 14
prog ch in Ch Ch 16
prog ch out Ch Ch 16

• PORT CONFIG/output ch: AUTO CH or TRK CH?
  • TRK CH allows recording both mute/solo and parameter changes on each 1-12 channel (‘MUTE/PARAM’ channel group):

example
TRACK 2 selected and parameter changed…
…WILL record on MUTE 2 channel if REC enabled.
…WILL NOT record on any other REC enabled channel than channel 2.

• TRK CH also allows to play the Rytm via MIDI, but the inverse is not possible, i.e. all manual triggers get recorded to C3.
    This is where the AUTO CH setting comes into play:

• AUTO CH allows recording manual track trigs and CHROM mode as different midi notes, same for chromatic playing:

C-2 to B-2 TRACK 1 - 12 trig
C-1 to B2 CHROM mode trig, selected TRACK
(same note ranges to trig TRACKS and chromatic play via midi)

So I guess use always TRK CH for performance recording. Then delete the notes accidentally recorded (on C3) in the NOTE/SCENE channel (or disable MIDI PORT CONFIG/‘RECEIVE NOTES’).

The NOTE/SCENE channel is mainly to record SCENE changes (I don’t know how to do this only, and I can only get cc92 together with other redundant ccs).
Only use AUTO CH when you want to use the pads as an MPC (i.e. record actual notes in the NOTES/SCENES channel).

To record a FULL performance MUTES+KNOBS+SCENES+PERF all channels must be REC enabled.

Note that the NOTE/SCENE channel will also record all mute trigs from all tracks (cc94)!
This automation has to be deleted before playing back the performance as it will mute/unmute the selected track.

The NOTE/SCENE channel also records PERF mode (so the PERF MODE channel is actually not needed but I keep it separate because it has a specific midi channel assigned).
Having two sources of PERF midi playing back into the Rytm does not seem to affect the response but it makes more sense to only use one.

NOTE/SCENE channel could be set to receive only from Ch 14 to avoid recording PERF and MUTES, but then it would not record SCENE changes (this is not on ch 16 and no idea on how to record it selectively, so NOTE/SCENE channel has to be set to ‘All ins’).

Some random tests:
Track mute cc 94 Mute mode
Track solo cc 93 Solo mode
Sample trig cc 12 SMP switch in TRIG page
Filter freq cc 74 FRQ in FILTER page
Filter res cc 75 RES in FILTER page
Performance mode cc 35,36 Perf mode
Scene mode cc 92 Scene mode
FX track cc 82 RAT in COMP page

All get recorded to the respective channel in Live. Automation gets played back into the Rytm.

Known bugs with this setup (AR 1.02D and Live 9):

Bug 1.
The MUTE led stays half lit and this prevents the FX led from switching on (although both buttons work fine, it’s just a LED control problem).
The problem persists even after deleting all the clips/unmuting manually all the tracks .
Restarting the unit restores normal behaviour.

Bug 2.
If Port config/receive CC is ticked then each mute/unmute operation (any pad) also affects the active track.
Not a problem when recording the performance with ‘receive CC’ off, then switch it on when playing back/editing.
Not a proble either if ‘receive CC’ is on and MUTE mode is not needed as it does not affect SCENE and PERF modes.

5 Likes

Cheers for that will try this out and get back to you , it will be so much less complicated once overbridge is here which hopefully will be soon.

Hello, I got my Rytm a few days ago and just tried to connect it to Ableton Live the frst time. Unfortunately it just showes up as an input. Did somebody already experienced the same thing and solved it?

Im running Ableton 9.2
Analog Rytm 1.02F

Input From USB
Output to USB

Cheers

Have you set up the MIDI correctly in your AR?
[ul]
[li]INPUT: USB+MIDI or USB only[/li]
[li]OUTPUT: USB+MIDI or USB only[/li]
[/ul]

Hey, yes I did already, It must be something else i think :confused:

Ok, now it gets really stupid!

So I took out my old white macbook from 2008 which has installed the old version of Ableton Live 8.2 guess what – there it works.
So either it has something to do with it being not the newest version of Ableton Life or with the version of OSX.

could that be a bug?

Works on:
OSX 10.7.5
Ableton Live 8.2

Doesn’t Work on:
OSX 10.10.3
Ableton Live 9.2

the settings on the Rytm where the same, I didnt change anything when switching to the other computer

Ok, so turned out that i didn’t notice the scroll bar on the right side!
Everything works now, was definitely not a bug but an user error :slight_smile:

Is it possible to setup the rytm so its on 1 channel with the tracks on different notes? Like a true drum map?

like a drum rack in ableton ? , if yes you can I made one up and saved it as a preset .

1 Like

CC 24 - Tune

Maybe this was mentioned before but in Live if you start recording a new clip and rotate the knobs it will tell you which CC is which parameter.

I wanted to find a good solution of mute/unmute from Rytm to Ableton and playback from Ableton.

For example in a jam situation at home.

I guess making a channel for each pad will let me do this but I think it’s hard to see the mute/unmute in arrange view for each channel.

Any solutions of how to get this working flawless?

Thanks a lot!

Hi guys. Hopefully someone out there can help me with this issue:

I was able to setup a drum rack with an external interment on each pad to correspond to the pad/tracks on the Rytm so that I can control the AR with my Ableton Push. All the pads play their corresponding sounds except, they are being triggered in what it sounds like Retrig mode (1/16 receptions).

-The midi config on the rytm is just like “Fra” described above.
-There is no “repeat enabled” on my Push sequencer
-If I play any pad/track on the AR, it doesn’t play this way. It plays the normal one shot.
-If I use the mouse to trigger the pads on the drum rack, it still retriggers the notes
-“Always ON” Retrig mode on the AR is set to no
-I recently updated the AR OS to 1.22 and recently installed Overbridge which I unistalled right away thinking it might have something to do with this issue; currently is not installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

@Moxamox I have exactly the same issue. Did you figure it out?

It is retrig mode because retrig settings on the RYTM have an effect.

It happens also with a normal MIDI track without drum rack.

Why would MIDI from Live automatically use retrig mode? Weird.

Upgrading to OS 1.22B did the trick :slight_smile: