Recommend a multichannel audio interface?

Hi elektronauts, I’m in the market for a multichannel audio interface for my home studio. Previously I’ve used a MOTU 828x, which was fantastic, but when I switched to a Windows 10 computer it started acting up and I ended up selling it. I’m looking at the Presonus Studio 1824c which has 8 channels of ADAT, but I’d rather get something with 16 channels if I can afford it. Any recommendations?

Do you still have the Motu?
I use an 828 Mk2 as an ADAT extension for the RME Fireface UC.
Super happy with the combo, the RME drivers are stable af and both interfaces just sound fantastic.
Of course if you’d rather have just one interface you might still want to check RME.

1 Like

You can find the Roland Studio Capture used for around $500. 16 inputs (12x w/ mic pres), 8 outputs. Had 2 several years ago, rock-solid Roland VS drivers (ASIO & WASAPI). Not as low latency as RME, but more stable in my experience than MOTU on Windows. Two can be linked for 30 inputs (linking requires S/PDIF). Preamps are just okay. No ADAT.

2 Likes

I don’t have the 828x but I have an ancient MOTU 2408, which works as an 8in/8out ADAT expander. It doesn’t work with my computer because it has a weird proprietary “AudioWire” interface you need an expansion card to use. It doesn’t sound great but it was super cheap, so I’m not complaining.

RME stuff looks really nice, thanks for the recommendation! I might go for the Fireface UC if I can find a deal… seems like they go for <$700 to the patient. It’s a shame it doesn’t have two banks of adat or midi, but the UFX is another $400 for that, and I already have synths etc that double as USB MIDI interfaces.

Got mine for around 700€ about 2 years ago, so you might find s good deal. It has two pairs of MIDI though. :+1::wink:

1 Like

Check behringer ucm1820 + ada8200 for more channels.
If I well remember someone had here on the board, try a search on the board with the ucm1820 keyword.

I’d recommend a rme that fits your needs expanded with ada8200. Works like a charm. And as someone else already stated, rme drivers are stable af

thumbs up for rme also here, very flexible totalmix software, super short latency and excellent signal to noise ratios. well worth the price.

Oops, I was just looking at photos and didn’t realize the midi was on a breakout from that port on the back. That’s sweet.

1 Like

100% :sunglasses:

Them: “Which interfa…”

Me: “RME”

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Could be me, too. Btw, RME rocks! And no, I don’t work for them and am not an affiliate :zipper_mouth_face::joy:

1 Like

rme digiface + your choice of converters and preamps

Do you know if the Studio Capture will work in stand alone mode and if they will work with an iPad and show all the available channels?

I’ve been looking for an interface to support 16 Channels and i really love the form factor and I/O of this one since i have limited space for my setup.

Thanks for any info :facepunch:t3:

Hey @echo_opera

The Studio-Capture isn’t class-complaint, so it won’t work on iOS.

My memory is fuzzy, but I believe basic routing/mix can be configured directly from the front panel, & of course with the Roland Control Panel mixer software/driver in Windows. So iirc, you can route different inputs to different outputs by just using the front panel controls & LCD, but don’t quote me on that, as it’s been years since I owned one. I know it can be configured and used standalone as an ADC.

The VS-Expand feature for Windows (to make one 30-input device) does reduce reliability, and also requires connecting both devices’ USB ports to the computer. And I only used VS-Expand with Windows 7, but according to the manual it should work with Windows 10. 96kHz sample rates and above aren’t supported in VS-Expand mode.

Here’s the manual and block diagram to double-check.

Behringer just announced the flow8. Cud be cool

Yeah saw that but i am looking for something with 12+ I/O in a small footprint. The Roland kit looked ideal but since I’m on iPad it won’t work.

It’s either go the ADAT route or get a nice 16 channel mixer and just sum it all via Stereo to the iPad…Ho hum…first world problems i know.

Thanks again for the info @1ticio That Studio Capture looked perfect to pair with the iPad. Shooot.

I’ve been planning to get a 16ch audio interface for a while now and the ESI U168 XT seems like one of the strongest offerings at the lower end of the price scale: http://www.reviewrevival.ca/reviews/esi-u168-xt-review-high-performance-usb-20-audio-interface

Presonus Quantum 2626 + Behringer ADAT. Won’t work on ipad or standalone but you can get ultra low latency.