Behringer FLOW8

New mini digital mixer from Behringer

1 Like

The bastards!

3 Likes

:rofl:

Behold, I am from the future, year 2075. Behringer (now known as SkyNet) has bought out Amazon with profits made from their synths, “vintage” synths are no longer a thing, and Behringer also makes $500 Tesla clones that make you breakfast on your commute (with integrated 303 in the dashboard).

6 Likes

Dear Santa …

I think is a great option for the hardware setups.

What happens if you connect a synth into the line input?

Not that bad actually.

Submitted a question to Sweetwater, which is currently selling FLOW8 for $229, via the online form.

Just wanted to confirm that the 2 iPad audio output channels (USB audio is 10 in, 2 out) could be routed back to 2 of the input channels.

I got this reply back. Unfortunately the sales person did not understand my question:

“The iPad connectivity with the Flow 8 is for control via Bluetooth via their Remote App, it does not send and receive and audio. The scenario you posed would not be possible. You can do that while involving a computer, but not an iPad.”

I had asked about USB connection, not Bluetooth. Oh well, I’ll just see what other users report.

Anyone here using one of these? It seems like a fairly affordable way of getting multi channel usb audio into my DAW… I’m just a little concerned that my phone is android and how well the app runs to get at all of the features?

I’m thinking about getting one but can’t find any reviews on a synth setup. Anyone here using it with synths? Are the effects good? The mic amps? The compressor?

Also I’m curious about the two first channels which are intended just for mics, I was wondering if it would be safe to connect a synth (line level) into one of this channels? It will require a xlr to 1/4 cable, but is it safe?

I did get one but didn’t keep it long. I didn’t plug anything into the mic inputs so can’t answer that. I found only having 2 stereo inputs restrictive and ended buying a Behringer 1820 which gave me more options.

I used it with synths and it was fine IMO. I found the effects OK (not sure if I tried the compressor?). I can’t really say much more as I moved on fairly quickly. I think I would have got tired of using the app on my phone as a remote but a lot of the features are accessible on the mixer itself.

If I only ever needed 2 stereo inputs then I think it’s a decent mixer (not that I have much experience). I wouldn’t have bought one at the new price at the time. I got mine for £140 and got a 2nd hand 1820 for less than that so it was an easy move for me.

I’m thinking about getting one but can’t find any reviews on a synth setup. Anyone here using it with synths? Are the effects good? The mic amps? The compressor?

Also I’m curious about the two first channels which are intended just for mics, I was wondering if it would be safe to connect a synth (line level) into one of this channels? It will require a xlr to 1/4 cable, but is it safe?

Had the same question before my purchase, and couldn’t find any post or comment according to this very specific question — what I can tell you is that it works. Haven’t had much time to test in-depth, but it is very doable to use the first two mic inputs for synths.

The effects are basic, and lack direct MIDI sync, but are ok, depending on the context, they are more of an extra, the compressor is the same, nothing I would rely on to justify the purchase, but good to have.

All-in-all, happy owning one for studio use and smaller live sets.

Ohhh I forgot to share my experience. I made a little video on Reddit testing the effects with my Modal Skulpt.

I had the Flow for just 2 months and sold it, it never clicked with my workflow. I don’t know if it is the preamps or the fact that it is digital, but something sounded off to me compared to my old Soundcraft, like it was missing some punch.

The interface was doable without the app for the common parameters, the only thing I found you cannot do without the app were the EQ, the compressor and the limiter, but in the end using the same faders for different things was frustrating to me (this keeps me away from the Nymphes). The compressor is pretty meh and I found it almost useless, there is no control over any parameter but the send and it feels more like a limiter.

May be I should have given it more time, but I grew unconfortable using it.

Workflow, as much as gear, is a highly subjective matter, what works for one, doesn’t work for another. I’ve been looking for a mixer with a very small footprint, and for that, the Flow8 is rather versatile.

Compressor, agree, for synths rather useless, but could make use on vocals. There is a lot of room for improvement with the Flow8, my understanding is that Behringer might not want to make it more competitive with their own mixer line, or there is simply no priority on any further development to the mixer, which is one of their hundreds of products anyway.

There is the way more feature and spec comprehensive XR18 which I am using mainly as an additional audio interface, though found it a bit quirky for live use, due to the lack of physical faders, and adding an X-Touch or BCF2000 would make it bulky again. Regardless I am very fine with the workflow in the studio, and controlling it either via iPad or from my laptop.

So I am used to operating a mixer via an iPad, even not ideal for all case scenarios. However, the Flow8’s faders are the difference for me here. You can store complete sessions on the mixer and recall for performances, which is great to have. My main performance mixer is an Allen&Heath X96, and the Flow8 allows for adding a few extra channels or live sets with less gear involved.

Sound quality works for me, not sure there is an alternative in this price range and footprint, but would be great to hear if anyone could find a similar / better product that way.

not to forget, their famous new techno club in Berlin. At Behrghain you pay 1 EUR on the first drink for the DJ :wink: