Recommend a multichannel audio interface?

Hooo that looks stellar. Can’t really find too many reviews of it here. Wonder if it will work with an iPad. Nice find thanks.

1 Like

Found of from ESI that this model won’t work with the iPad. Looks like a great desktop solution though.

I opted to get a Scarlett OctoPre8 to connect to my Scarlett 18i8 to expand my I/O for my setup.

1 Like

Focusrite 18i20

I’m all iPad as well. In fact I’m using 3 of them.
Using a motu828es - 1 iPad via usb as the master (24channels) and 2 iPads connected via adat (8 channels each). I was gonna take the motu lp32 route and an old 828mk2 for the analog (via adat), but 1/2 rack stuff drives me nuts.
Works great and can route audio between iPads just by changing the outputs and inputs of AUM channels. One iPad is basically a dedicated effects unit to help ease the cpu load (and channel scrolling)

1 Like

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box
These work like a champ for iPads.

1 Like

Used to run a UFX, great interface. Currently run a 4848 and it’s on par, sounds transparent. I was also considering the MOTU 16A. I guess this all depends if you need pres or run a mixer with direct outs which is what I’m dealing with trying to figure out now (8 pre rackmounts or a Soundcraft GB or soemthing). I imagine Quantum 2 and the 2626 are good too and have monitor control, pres etc.

Did you see the rme digiface usb?

I bought it 4 month ago, iirc you have 8 motu io, it’s a very good solution if you can find another 8 adat io, and it does not have to be so expensiive.

Edit: I use a mixer, but you can find pre amps on stuff like focusright , beringer, etc.

I also considered motu’s 16a, but i wanted rme’s totalmix.

How is the stability of the 4848 drivers? Been looking at that interface, but i have been so happy with RME’s driver stability that i’m abit afraid to change. But cant afford an RME setup with the channel count i need/want.

I really wish the digiface was class compliant.
I much prefer the totalmix to the motu solution. The mixer and dsp itself is fine, the fact it’s browser based leaves something to be desired even on a wired connection.

1 Like

After getting it installed on 2015 iMac with Catalina it’s been fine (it was a hassle, but I had to take the directions literally, unplug, restart everything). They also pushed an update within 30 days of having had it. So far so good.

Alrighty. OctoPre8 is now feeding an extra 8 channels into my Scarlett 18i8 and everything is showing up in AUM.

Time to jam :grimacing:

And buy more gear :crazy_face:

1 Like

Oh interesting. So does this device allow you to do 8 Channels of Audio over USB which is then converted to ADAT? What are you feeding the ADAT into in order to hear things?

This could be cool if you had a couple iPads routed to an ADAT multiIN box which then went OUT to an ADAT In audio Interface like the BabyFace or new Apollo.

Anything with adat ins and outs. I have 2 attached to the adats on a motu 828
Edit: far more reliable and useful than IDAM or iconnect+4. I’ve have nothing but nightmare experiences with the +4

Just installed my Quantum 4848. Running OSX, but i cant seem to get “OSX” audio out of the outputs i set up in the Audio Midi settings. Do you have this problem?