Reaktor 6

There are a set of blocks for use with both the Model:Samples and Model:Cycles. You can control all the main parameters on the MS and modulate them with the blocks. You can also route audio back into Reaktor for a ‘hybrid’ setup to add additional filters and effects in Reaktor, triggered from the MS. I’ll try to do a video and post it here.

2 Likes

Here’s an example of a basic rack to use with the Model:Cycles

4 Likes

That’s brilliant, thank you!

Here are some example racks built with some of the Nano Pack V2 blocks including a rack to control the Model:Samples and Model:Cycles:

A brief description of each rack:

• Elektron Model Samples Control --> A rack for use Elektron Model:Samples (swap out the M:S blocks with M:C blocks to use this rack with the Model:Cycles).
  • Geiger --> A rack that produces glitchy noise! The rack uses the ‘2D Chaos’ block to randomly modulate the X & Y position of the XY Wavetable, then sends this through a Bit Shifter and Comb Filter for more randomness.
  • Mindrothe --> An ‘OTA Filter’ block that is ‘pinged’ using the ‘Exciter Envelope’ block and then ‘granulated’ and fed back through a reverb to create a ringing feedback pad sound, which is then given a ‘tape stop’ effect with the ‘Tape Stop’ block (run the transport to hear the ‘tape stop’).
  • Mindy --> A simple example of using the ‘Seq Segment’ and ‘Unison Wavetable’ blocks. 4 ‘Seq Segment’ blocks are daisy-chained together using their ‘NEXT’ & ‘RESET’ ports. This chain of blocks is reset every half bar from the GATE port of the ‘Ramps’ block. The PITCH & GATE ports of all 4 sequencer blocks are summed together before controlling the ‘Unison Wavetable’ block.
  • Phys Model Seq --> A sequence driven with the ‘Bit Sequencer’ block, this block creates an 8 step sequence based on each binary ‘bit’ of an 8 bit input value, this input value is set using the ‘Fader’ block connected to it. This sequence triggers the “Physical Modelling Synth” block, as well as triggering a ‘Randomizer’ block which is used to randomly modulate the synth’s controls.
  • Seq Seg Example --> Another example of using the ‘Seq Segment’ block, this one also uses the ‘MOD’ and ‘SLIDE’ controls of the block. The ‘MOD’ and ‘SLIDE’ controls are simply values sent out from their corresponding ports whenever the segment is playing (when the segment isn’t playing a value of zero is sent from these ports). “Mod” & “Slide” are simply names that suggest possible uses for these ports but they are both working in exactly the same way, simply outputting values and can be connected to to control anything you want.
  • Trigger Effects --> This rack makes use of the ‘Knob Bank’ block. This block has 4 banks of 6 knobs but only displays 6 knobs at a time. The 4 banks are used to control the parameters of 4 different effects. You can also MIDI learn the 6 knobs to 6 knobs on a MIDI controller to jam with the patch. Trigger the effects using the buttons on the ‘Trigger’ block (you can also MIDI learn these buttons).
  • Woody PD Sound --> Uses the exciter envelope to create a short sound that ‘excites’ the resonance the “Comb & Notch” block.
2 Likes

I just uploaded a free Nano Block -->

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14259/

A lofi wavetable oscillator with built-in wavetables. The block emulates the sound of an oscillator chip from an 80s digital keyboard. There are additional ports available from the structure view to control the simulated clock rate and jitter.

8 Likes

Just uploaded a new Nano Block to the user library: Lofi DAC. The block simulates the digital to analog convertor of a vintage sampler. Useful for lofi, gritty sounds and vintage sampler tones. An example ensemble is included. Grab it for free from here: Lofi DAC Block | Entry | Reaktor User Library

The Toybox Nano Pack has a suite of blocks specifically for use with the Elektron Modal Cycles and Model Samples, see this thread -->

FYI, we are also running a 40% off Black Friday sales on the toybox site: https://www.toyboxaudio.com

3 Likes

Do any of the Toybox packs come with presets or ensembles?

Yes all the packs have a decent collection of presets and example racks.

Finally got around to installing R6 again after barely touching it for years. Thinking it could add a little spice to the 707.

FYI for anyone on Win10 having problems with the Native Access software getting stuck when looking for updates. Changing the compatibility to Win7 is what worked for me. Also ran it in administrator mode, dunno if that bit was needed or not though.

I created a take on the Benjolin and just uploaded it to the User Library. It includes a config file for the MIDI Fighter Twister, and was made with that interface in mind. Always happy to get feedback!

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14375/

9 Likes

Anyone using Reaktor 6 on Apple Silicon ARM M1 machines? Under Rosetta or not, does it load as an audio unit and function okay?

Looking to use it as an audio unit running in rosetta within Ableton Live 11.1b running natively M1 ARM

1 Like

yeah… working fine here on M1 max w/latest Monterey and latest Live beta. haven’t checked out all the instruments but seems fine w/all the ones i’ve messed with… including the couple of Blinksonic ensembles i own.

3 Likes

Yesss thank you

1 Like

Just a heads-up that we have updated the Vintage Sampler block in the FREE Toybox User Blocks Pack for Native Instruments Reaktor.

As well as bug fixes and improvements, the block now includes the same snapshots panel found in the recently updated Nano Pack 3. These snapshots allow you to create variations of a sound (different start points, loop points etc) and easily switch between them with modulation, MIDI or using the global snapshots block in the updated Nano Pack. The block’s snapshots panel can be opened by clicking the small circular button at the top left-hand corner of the block.

Download the updated Toybox User Blocks Pack for FREE from the link below.

We are also running a flash sale on the Nano Pack, which is currently $38 (40% off). If you want to to try out the new global snapshots system then now is a great time to grab it!

Get the Toybox User Blocks Pack and the Nano Pack here:

6 Likes

Okay, so bear with me here, but after owning Reaktor 6 for some time I decided to take the plunge as I finally have a machine capable of handling it (Macbook Air M1). And oh boy, am I overwhelmed!

I started by using some of the stock stuff - Metaphysical Function got me hooked on a two-day quest to find similar endless drone ensembles, which led to creating some lovely samples for my collection. Now that’s over, I’m very interested in finding drum synths for use with external sequencers - currently using an Oxi One and want to get it sequencing some crazy Reaktor drum machines. I’ve been pointed in the direction of Niji Drums which seems like a fab starting point. Downloaded it, got Blocks installed, but have no idea how to hook it up… I’m a complete modular novice and so need everything set up for me beforehand. :confused:

There are loads (a decade’s worth) of tutorials on YouTube about Reaktor but as previously stated I feel overwhelmed. I ended up being more interested in Sugar Bytes’ Drum Computer as it’s standalone and doesn’t require patching, but I know I must be missing out. I’m a tinkerer by nature and I know if I learned to put these things together I’d love using Reaktor.

Not really sure what I’m getting at here - I need to spend more time with it and watch more tutorials. I know there are a bunch of artists out there who found success with Reaktor (Jamie Lidell and Tim Exile to name but two) and I kinda want to follow in their footsteps.

1 Like

For a starter for ten, head to Toybox Modular’s website and get their free pack of blocks as there is lots of really useful stuff that expands on the factory blocks. Then, create a new Rack within Reaktor - racks are used for Blocks and is less complicated than the traditional approach. Then you could add in a bunch of blocks as in this screen grab I took:

It uses the Niji drum blocks from NI along with gate sequencers from the Toybox free pack and the Bento Mix from the Blocks Base pack that is installed automatically. That will get you up and running with simple drum machine, but you can do some fun stuff with the sequencer directions and lengths on the gate sequencers. Once you’re comfortable with that, you can then add in modulation blocks to start modulating parameters or additional effects blocks or what have you.

My recommendation for tutorials would be Matt Cellitti’s youtube channel - he has two playlists for the West Coast blocks and Kodiak blocks that are really good for walking you through those blocks but also gives a good flavour for how you use blocks in general.

5 Likes

This is awesome! Thankyou

1 Like

Hi Folks, we are excited to announce the release of the latest Toybox pack for Reaktor Blocks. This one is super special.

Tangle Pack – 300 advanced Reaktor blocks for modern sound design. The Tangle Pack is a new suite of powerful blocks based on legendary Eurorack modules, with some unique blocks for advanced synthesis and sound creation.

Features include:

• Tangle Oscillator, a powerful oscillator block that fuses extreme phase distortion (twisting, warping, repeating and mixing basic waveforms for knotted and twisted sounds) with FM synthesis, great for thick, harmonically rich timbres. The block also features 7 lo-fi modes which authentically model vintage convertors with gritty digital noise and jitter, great for dirty old-school digital synth sounds.

• A flexible analog modelled filter with 8 different models (Moog, Korg, Roland etc). A variety of filter slopes plus notch and comb filters are available. All filter types can be flexibly re-ordered and morphed.

• A high quality wavefolder block closely modelled on the timbre effect found in the Buchla Easel.

• A collection of powerful modulation blocks, including the Ramp Generator block, based on one half of the Make Noise ‘Maths’ function generator Eurorack module, plus a flexible multi-breakpoint envelope generator and a collection of randomising blocks: chaos, brownian motion etc.

• A curated selection of ‘Nano’ utility blocks, updated and revised specially for the pack.

• A collection of high-quality and innovative effect and processing blocks based on popular Eurorack modules.

• A flexible global snapshots system. Snapshots can be stored for each individual block or for the whole rack, then selected and morphed using the Snapshots block.

• Updated Nano Sequencer blocks included for building generative sequences, arpeggiators or generating complex phrases. Multiple Sequencer Segment blocks can be daisy-chained for a ratcheting style step sequencer of any length. The Conditional block works using a similar idea to the ‘conditional trigs’ found in the Elektron series of groove boxes, great for organic evolving sequences.

• Bleeding-edge dsp and analog modelling techniques.

• All blocks are also available as polyphonic versions as well as an extensive collection of polyphonic ‘Nano’ Blocks, available for the first time.

More information:

10 Likes

Dope. Excited to check this out

1 Like

Here’s a quick video showing some sounds from the tangle oscillator and some of it’s ‘lo-fi’ modes. Only the oscillator’s ‘sine’ waveform shape is used here, using the phase distortion knobs (Repeat, Bend & Pulse Width) for some very ‘bubbly’ noises :slight_smile: -->

This is the “Alkaline Sequence” rack that is included with the Tangle Pack. It’s a good demonstration of some of the raunchy clangorous tones possible with the ‘Folder’ block (based on the timbre effect found in the Buchla Easel) -->

3 Likes