Reaktor 6

Did I miss an announcement about Realtor 6 working on apple silicon? I just booted Ableton and it opens as an AU unit (no Rosetta).

Maybe your daw is in rosetta mode?

latest version is still 6.4.3 from September 2021 and not AS native.

Right click the application icon in finder, ā€œget infoā€, and make sure Rosetta is not checked:

Thanks. DAW (Ableton) is not in Rosetta mode.

Edit: The Reaktor application doesnā€™t have the option to open using Rosettaā€¦

Audio Units can run in rosetta when your daw is run in native, as well.

So thatā€™s likely what is happening.

R6 shows up in my AUs as well. As do other non-native plugins (Kush, Lindell)

1 Like

Intel AUs: work automatically, thanks to macOSā€™ built-in AUHostingCompatibilityService.

2 Likes

Thanks. Thatā€™s pretty cool and has set me up well for the weekend!

Hey @DavidToybox, I just did a gear trade and got myself a second Maschine+.
The idea is to run Reaktor on it and cordon it off as a dedicated drum synthā€¦something like a Syntakt+Model:Cyclesā€¦hitting just the right balance of flexibility and limitation of concept.

I think that basing my engines on groupings of Reaktor Blocks is the best way to balance quick sound design while building upon deep DSP programming already done and packaged as great sounding oscillators, filters, and shapers. Which product offering of yours will allow for experimental but still saturated and ā€œalive soundingā€ percussion sounds?
The Tangle Pack?

Thanks for any advice! Your products look so cool!

Iā€™m new to Reaktor and what I was not expecting was to feel like Iā€™m exploring the remnants of a decaying phenomenon. The YouTube algorithm keeps recommending the same videos which are decades old. I guess Reaktor is vintage now. Sounds pretty good to my ears, but there is definitely not much currently going on with it on the internet. There seems to be a couple big players in the blocks/instrument building community, but nearly nothing in terms of current jams/reviews/explorations. Iā€™m beyond late to this party.

5 Likes

Bro check this out :
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/

6 Likes

Beyond late? Maybeā€¦ but what a fucking party!

5 Likes

Man, Reaktor! I remember thinking how futuristic it was back in the mid-00s, I learned how to properly use Reaktor around the same time but these days I donā€™t tend to go ā€œunder-the-hoodā€, so to speak.

That saidā€¦ I still regularly use Reaktor! I mean, itā€™s mainly to use instruments like Ultraloop (I created a custom bank to use with it, itā€™s become my go-to signature glitchy percussive loop tool) and Blinksonicā€™s offerings, but thereā€™s a ton of great stuff out there still. In the factory library I used to use Vectory and Newscool an absolute ton. As a way of generating interesting audio to further process, itā€™s still an excellent tool.

I dabbled with Blocks and made a couple of neat semi-generative ensembles with it, but beyond that I never really stuck with it.

4 Likes

I should add that I use Reaktor daily, but mostly for the synths. I replaced Blocks with Bitwigā€™s grid, and I didnā€™t look back but the synths, man oh man, Kontour, Prism, Razor, Monark, Steampipeā€¦ They wonā€™t get old for a long time !

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Reaktor for over 20 years. When I first got it there were a lot less plugins around to choose from and I didnā€™t have a lot of spare money so it was a really good way to get an almost limitless supply of synths, samplers and effects.

These days there are plenty of other options around but I tend to stick with what I know so I still use a few ensembles that I like. Itā€™s also good if you want to build something really unusual/specific that you canā€™t get anywhere else. There are some good ones hidden away inside a ā€˜legacyā€™ folder somewhere in the installation library files.

It does seem to be getting less popular but there are still some people using it on the NI forum and a lot of the other NI synths are based on it so I donā€™t think thereā€™s any danger of NI stopping supporting it like they did with Absynth (Iā€™m still annoyed aout that!)

3 Likes

Itā€™ll never fail to surprise me. Best VST ever.

4 Likes

Similar boat, been using Reaktor for about 20years.
Itā€™s kept me from buying other vstā€™s.
Itā€™s extremely rare that I hear any other software and think it sounds better, or even different than something made with Reaktor.

Software definitely profits off how much people want a ā€œnew thingā€ even if itā€™s not much different, just has to be new.

Itā€™s such an odd thing these days to watch people on one hand get obsessed over the latest product, yet at the same time are still chasing musical nostalgia that most people were born afterwards.

ā€œI wanna sound like the 80ā€™s or 90ā€™s or 00ā€™s, but only with gear thatā€™s not even a year oldā€

3 Likes

I hope youā€™re right. Not because I use it in the same way for building as I find it very complex. But because some of the sounds are truly interesting. Itā€™s like a cupboard of dusty old gems in there, especially the physical modelling stuff.

One thing that may have forced their hand with this is Maschine expansions and other sounds in the Komplete ecosystem use Reaktor. Monark is especially one that comes up as being useful and popular, and is heavily used for bass sounds in Expansions. And Super 8 (while not as popular) was released as its own VST, but then put back as a Reaktor instrument. For most Expansions theyā€™d need to make Monark a VST to maintain support for those, or remake all the patches in Massive X which currently is not used within expansions (not sure why but even as of the current expansions this is still the case). I hear Massive is getting NKS2 support which suggests that one isnā€™t going away.

From a community post when Reaktor for M1 was announced

Sorry, but besides the addition of native Apple Silicon support and the new VST3 plugin there will be no new features implemented. At this point, perhaps it is time to comment on the situation. For a variety of reasons, NI is not in a position to invest major resources in this product, which has not been news for some time.

The way I read that it will be maintained and has been coded in a way to hopefully avoid any similar issues to M1. But otherwise itā€™s not getting QOL updates like resizing that Kontakt and other have been getting. Sounds like there is a very small team that could be deployed on a ā€œneeds mustā€ basis. At a certain point though, probably some sort of technical change; there could be an EOL announcement.

At least theyā€™ve been clear about that though. NI is a big company with a lot of products. One they currently have for those of us who remain fans is they make it hard at times to commit to using, or certainly relying, on their stuff since at an undefined point it may just stop working. For me, it feels like the best use of these sounds is to make use of them while theyā€™re here but be mindful that when it comes to machine upgrade time, they may not work.

3 Likes