Radiohead

This is great - a lot closer than you give yourself credit for.

1 Like

Nice. Kind words, thanks.

1 Like

i agree with @stuartlayton, I think it sounds great!

2 Likes

Loving your work brother ! Whatā€™s the basic chord progression ? (I started mapping it out in ChordPolyPad this afternoon and got a C maj, Csus4 and a strange Csus4 with a D# in it?

Thank you. Actually, I found a midi file for the song. I just deleted one Octave Bass note to have 4 note polyphony.
Although I can play it on Piano, I donā€™t have the right notes in my head. But I can give you the midi file.

Radiohead - Everything is in itā€™s right place.mid (10.3 KB)

3 Likes

Very, very nicely done.

1 Like

Thank you guys. Though, I think it sounds quite different to the original, it sounds pretty warm to me. A4 is often said to sound too cold. Not to me. Itā€™s only one osc and one filter here.

Agreed, much closer than I thought the A4 could get. Care to share the patch sysex?

2 Likes

Sure. after work :slight_smile:

1 Like

This should be the patch (I donā€™t use sysex very often).
EIIRP.syx (415 Bytes)

Yesterday I double tracked the recording and panned it hard left and right. Listening through headphones today, I thought itā€™s almost too much. I loaded a version to youtube, where I only used the original recording. Sounds better imo. Anyway.

2 Likes

A fine effort @unifono! Actually sounds really close to me. Next up, try your hands at the vocals pleaseā€¦ :grinning:

Seeing them play this live at Meadowbank, Edinburgh was unreal. Just the way they closed their first set with it and how it turned into a borderline rave for 5 minutes or so then exiting the stage one by one leaving this wall of sound/samples looping, then coming back into, I think, True Love Waits. Stunning.

1 Like

Funny how you misremember things. This was apparently the set list that night!

Setlist

Airbag
2+2=5
The National Anthem
My Iron Lung
Morning Bell
Videotape
Nude
Lucky
The Gloaming
Where I End And You Begin
Paranoid Android
All I Need
Pyramid Song
Fake Plastic Trees
I Might Be Wrong
Idioteque
How To Disappear Completely

Encore 1

You And Whose Army?
Bodysnatchers
Just
Karma Police

Encore 2

There There
True Love Waits/Everything In Its Right Place
Creep

2 Likes

Find that funny that the shipping fee is the same all over the world, but 24 bit wave priced 16Ā£ while mp3 is 11Ā£, why ? :slight_smile:

Btw, i saw radiohead first gig outside the uk @ the roxen club (rip) in tel aviv, still have the ticket somewhere :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

i think, for ā€˜someā€™ and personally, one of the most influential bands in the past three decades. a band that has evolved continuously and keeps bringing emotions through music and iā€™m glad theyā€™re still Radiohead :relaxed:

2 Likes

ā€¦and this sounds really good Unifono, i was waiting for the vocals to come in :grin: well done :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thanks. Maybe next time. I have to stretch my vocal cords until then. :grin:
by the way. If someone wants to give it a shotā€¦ A patch recreation of the idioteque synth line would be interesting.
For those who maybe donā€™t know, it was sampled from this recording. It was at the time when Fm synths were inventedā€¦ Before the Dx7.

3 Likes

I think this is still my favourite electronic music track. Over 20 years old and still sounds fresh and slamming. Iā€™ll forever be trying to make drums like this and dream of finding a sample like Paul Lansky.

14 Likes

ā€œIdiotequeā€ began with a rhythm created by Jonny Greenwood on a modular synthesiser. Feeling it ā€œneeded chaosā€, he experimented with found sounds and sampling. Greenwood recorded 50 minutes of improvisation and gave it to singer Thom Yorke, who took a short sequence and used it to write the song. Yorke said: ā€œSome of it was just ā€˜what?ā€™, but then there was this section of about 40 seconds long in the middle of it that was absolute genius, and I just cut that up.ā€

Taken from Idioteque - Wikipedia

Which was originally taken from https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15226006&t=1612289073871

(Personally, Everything in its Right Place is my favourite, but this one is excellent too, as is the whole album)

9 Likes