Radiohead

Where the hell is the KIDAmnesiac 20th celebration box? I neeeeeeed those studio outtakes.

4 Likes

100%, I love this tune. I lose myself within 20 seconds of it starting.

1 Like

i second that emotion!!
maybe cuz of the pandemic though its harder to manufacture things and its a task they arent confident in?

you ever do the KidA infinite LOOP sync up to E.T. a la Pink Floyd with the Wizard of OZ??

Probably. Or maybe waiting for Amnesiac’s anniversary.

NO! What is the cue point?

you gotta stack em in itunes or your player of choice i forget how many multiples

so it just looks like KidA, KidA, KidA …etc. etc. in your playlist and then you hit start right when you see the spinning Universal Planet logo in the opening of the film

theres also “Kid Dracula” where you stack Kid A and them Amnesiac back to back and play that to the black and white Dracula movie Nosferatu and that syncs pretty eerily as well

1 Like

Yeah their best album, ideoteque, everything in its right place, morning bell, the national anthem all great tracks

1 Like

I could never pick a best album… They’re such complete works on their own.

I largely ignored them until Kid A came out in my college years. I was obsessed with Music for Airports and On Land (ambient 4) at the time, and then Kid A just slipped right into that lane, and I couldn’t get enough. Immediately picked up OK Computer (used), and flat didn’t like it. Sold it back to the store.

I’d relay this story to a friend of mine a few years later, and he full-stopped whatever we were doing, went home, brought OK Computer back to my place, and we listened beginning to end. (For the kids, this was back when you had to physically have an album to listen to it)… It blew my mind. No idea what I didn’t like a few years earlier. A few decades later, having seen them 5 times, AFP once, yeah… can’t name a favorite. I’ll listen to any of it starting with The Bends.

7 Likes

Is this for real ?? 20 years ???
It feels like yesterday.

3 Likes

This is eerie. To preface: the short story I’m about to tell is 100% true. I woke up yesterday morning with an idea to make a new tune. The inspiration for this tune was basically the intro part of this song (Idioteque) with the drum part and the meandering melody. Now, mind you, I’m not even a big Radiohead fan. In order to not forget the idea, I quickly wrote some notes in the Notes app on my phone. I wrote: “IDM beat like not portishead, maybe like that Radiohead song” and one other note was “humming vocal melody” (I guess I really just want to copy Idioteque…)

At any rate, I was drawn to this old thread today, and since I had only read a few early posts, fast-forwarded to the recent posts and saw this about Idioteque. What a trip. Perhaps it’s my destiny to cover this song now. haha. I just pulled the song up on youtube and got the chills from all this serendipity.

1 Like

@chapelierfou Yeah it’s crazy the 20th just kind of slipped by without a big fanfare…

Anyone listen to that Minidisc Hacked dump? Is it worth diving into? Maybe it’ll tide me over until whatever they do…

1 Like

Depends. I’m a pretty hardcore fan, and didn’t find anything particularly interesting there, the quality is shit, and it just feels wrong. But I prefer their post Kid A output by far, and wasn’t really around when OKC was first released, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1 Like

There are various guides such as this:

And, a hardcore fan created Google doc of everything on there with time stamps etc:

2 Likes

Not close at all, but I once gave the digitone a little Idioteque try :upside_down_face:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrlhAonFXfI/

4 Likes

First time I heard this tune (and the rest of the album) was at a Radiohead show 2 months before the album was released. They played 3 shows in Israel, which they used as a dress rehearsal for the upcoming Kid A tour. Going to a gig you’ve been dreaming of and not knowing half the tunes can be disappointing, but as I watched all 3 shows, by the third show it was…yeah. Most memorable moment is the sample on Everything In Its Right Place bouncing from left to right on the PA as the song dies down.
OK Computer is still the better album though:) (at least for this aging Indie kid)

2 Likes

Cool thanks. I’ll check out the White Cassette first and if proves worthwhile, go the full hog.

Kid A is the better album. But I think Amnesiac has the better songs. But quite brilliant.

4 Likes

Kid A is my favorite album. Off all time probably. There is something special about the mood and the space it puts me in…
But In Rainbows might be their best overall album imo. Hard to choose off course, I love all their albums except Pablo Honey. But In Rainbows is just very consistent and reduced to the best. Everything feels placed just right on it

10 Likes

It’s incredibly tough to pick between OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows. Kind of depends on what mood you’re in with what you think is better at any point of time.

6 Likes

I have the same feeling about all of the albums you mentioned. In Rainbows I think was the most mature album from RH so far, very consistent and definitely cohesive.

3 Likes