Push 3 Users Thread

NO U :blush:

1 Like

On the same day as the release of Push 3, the launch of Logic Pro for the iPad was announced. So maybe ableton wanted to steal the show from apple and they sped up the Push release a bit unnecessarily. Just guessing.

3 Likes

My pet theory is that Akai is going to release something soon. I have absolutely NOTHING to base that on, other than the Force seems like the closest competitor to Push 3, but without the tight Live integration.

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Force has been on the market for over 4 years, I believe. So who knows.

1 Like

Same here (controller). I’m in love with it. Been using it nonstop since last Friday.

2 Likes

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic, I’d encourage folks to move speculation about competing products, why Ableton released Push 3 now, etc back to the original release thread:

2 Likes

Let’s hope there’s a fix soon.

I get that there’s likely a different thought process involved for using a standalone, but I think this is more likely a consequence of something not fully thought out as opposed to the final product. Again - I hope.

1 Like

This is all I want too.

I’m okay as an early adopter too especially since this community is very active at discussing issues so I’m less surprised when they happen.

Some things like M4L I’ll postpone using on Push 3 until there’s a fix. I’m still good with recording into Standalone and working in en environment I’m very familiar with.

Definitely not trying to convince anyone to buy now. Obviously some issues, but that’s why it’s great to see if there’s something that makes it not worth it before purchasing and regretting later.

1 Like

I’ve never been enthusiastic about Albeton’s integration of M4L devices into Live and I think that has carried over into Push 3. The oddness of it, I mean, including the pretty big issue that @ess pointed out above, regarding updates to those devices.

They always feel separate/apart from Live rather than deeply integrated in some ways (parameter mapping, for example).

1 Like

Does anyone know, has Ableton ever opened up the APIs for drawing graphics on Push like Wavetable or Echo do? Or are M4L devices still limited to the default parameter display?

I’m not so sure I’d class the release as “rushed”.

“Ableton in a box” is incredibly complicated. I can quite imagine that user testing didn’t cover what some of you crazy lot do within Live or can think of with a device like this. Appreciate you can argue that it is Abletons job to think that way but I’m happy to be lenient.

Even with the hardware issues like my hub power problem. These things happen. Some outs there have much more frustrating issues than I do but I’d still wager it’s a tiny fraction of the total units sold to date having problems.

If we’re into August and much hasn’t been fixed (or, if applicable, replaced) then it’ll be time to riot!

4 Likes

@Ess mentioned in the Fors thread that the API is not open.

And please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

I don’t think I have an opinion on it really… There’s been so many amazing or usefully M4L devices that I can’t complain. What @Ess is doing with Fors is pretty amazing and might be the first time I’ve really been excited about future possibilities.

Live becoming available as a standalone is new territory and I think this will force some likely tough choices with regards to M4L and deeply integrated it is.

We shall see, but the current M4L bugs are going to make for a very vocal user group.

1 Like

Ah, I think I found the post you’re referring to:

Sounds like maybe there’s a little bit of functionality that’s currently exposed, but that full-on custom graphics like Wavetable are off the table for now.

Hopefully this is on Ableton’s roadmap, as Opal, Glänta, and others would be amazing with all their waveforms and visualizations on Push.

3 Likes

I have encountered very few issues with the software on the standalone, none with the hardware other than it gets a bit warm and a low humming noise when connected to power. It is imo a truly amazing machine and I’m sure it will be even better the next couple of months/years. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

For those searching for a travel case, I just got this one from an unknown (to me) brand called TomCase: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/TOMcase-Waterproof-accessories-break-proof-configurable/dp/B07F3WCKK1

Seems to fit well with cables and may be able to fit another couple of small pieces of gear/pedals depending on size.

*edit: it’s a pretty snug squeeze w respect to the length of the Push. There are only a few cm of foam padding available. That said, still fits well.

3 Likes

Can you give the model name/number?

It’s turns out the email I got is intended to be sent for people who set up a credit card payment, rather than a PayPal payment. I definitely never inserted a credit card, so something is wrong on their end. They also aren’t responding to any sales support questions. The 48 hours they mention in the email will be up in a few hours, and I have no idea what they are planning on charging.

from the amazon listing: “TOMcase Waterproof outdoor case for laptops up to 17 inches and accessories; break-proof hard case with configurable grid foam”

• Product Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 50.2 x 41.5 x 14.1 cm; 2.6 Kilograms
  • Manufacturer ‏ : ‎ TOMcase
  • Item model number ‏ : ‎ XT465H125
1 Like

Ah, looks like a German company. Not showing up in Amazon US.